They're still out there

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
I got back out there today. Now I have a question and some news. Question: I took the spark plugs out and can turn the crank by hand more than one full revolution then it stops. Any idea what's stopping it? Took the valve covers off to see if valves were rusty and hanging up. Everything there looked oily but immaculate - no rust - and seemed to be free. Thinking about taking the fuel pump off to eliminate it as the thing that's hanging it up. I don't want to crank it by starter unless I can crank it by hand first.

In the news, spark plugs were easy to take out. Distributor cap is "Delco Remy - Patent Pending" so could be original. Taillights, dome lights, one back-up light, Cold, Oil and Gen lights work, most dash lights work. All 4 headlights work including the 3 T-3's. Heat riser isn't seized. Firewall markings are interesting. One is an 8 over a P (V-8, Powerglide?). The crayon line for the P goes over a bright orange square sticker about 1" square. I wonder hwy that was there. Also found part of a lid from an oil filter dated 8-8-79 and 50,297.7 miles.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Figure on pulling the engine and tearing it down.There may be something on top of a piston,a rod bearing failure,or lord knows what else.You should figure a a quality rebuild at any rate so that when the car is roadworthy,it'll be trouble free for many years to come.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Don,

There can't be something on top of a piston since I turned it more than one full turn. I'm counting on this being like the very rusty '63 I picked up a few years back for the posi and the dash pad. The 283 hadn't run in probably 20 years. It sputtered, shook and backfired...then smoothed out so nice you could hardly tell it was running.

Whether it's finances, family situation, storage space, the need to keep it mobile or something else, sometimes a project is doomed as soon as it goes from a potential runner into a useless pile of parts.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
That's what I thought too Jim, and it's why I took the valve covers off. I'm going to turn it back and forth by hand and watch each valve carefully.

If it has a serious problem, that could explain why the owner lost interest in the car in 1980. That would motivate me to put the 409 together (finally after 23 years) for the SS and put the 283 in that car into the 4 door.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Life has gotten in the way of the 409. Need to pick up a new radiator, clutch, starter, breather tube, oil cap, firewall wiring, p.s. pump brackets. I have to rebuild the water pump, press the rods onto the pistons, basically assemble everything.

On the 283, I took the pulleys off the balancer, replaced the short bolts with longer ones and used a small pipe to coax it around. Seems to be turning very easy now with lots of rocker motion. Getting closer to putting some juice to it. I'll keep you posted.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Another CHEVY LIVES, this one after 35 Years! The 283 started and ran perfectly! It was awesome! It did take a little work. Replaced a few things one at a time trying to keep as much old stuff on it while also trying to get it to go. Replaced coil, dist cap, rotor, condenser, spark plug wires, 4 of the spark plugs (didn't have 8 on me). Blew some black smoke, rust and nut shells out of the tailpipe, then it cleared and ran like a dream!!

The water pump leaks a lot, radiator leaks a little, fuel pump seems to work fine. Needs brakes but should be a runner and driver this summer.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Another CHEVY LIVES, this one after 35 Years! The 283 started and ran perfectly! It was awesome! It did take a little work. Replaced a few things one at a time trying to keep as much old stuff on it while also trying to get it to go. Replaced coil, dist cap, rotor, condenser, spark plug wires, 4 of the spark plugs (didn't have 8 on me). Blew some black smoke, rust and nut shells out of the tailpipe, then it cleared and ran like a dream!!

The water pump leaks a lot, radiator leaks a little, fuel pump seems to work fine. Needs brakes but should be a runner and driver this summer.

No $hit.........you lucky S O G.....would have said sob if I knew you.:winnerGood on you.......

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
I haven't gotten that video up yet. It turned out kind of boring. I need to spend some time to liven it up with captions and stuff.

Rear brake springs are still painted bright blue, orange, silver, gray and green.

Rear springs still have their original orange part number tags.

I like them all, 4-doors, 6's. All good.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Hey,

Thought I'd give you an update. Rebuilt the wheel cylinders, new shoes, hoses, dual m.c. installed, piped in and bled. No leaks. Brakes work great in the driveway. Tonight took off water pump and thermostat for replacement next. What's really amazing so far is how easy everything comes apart on this car - bleeder screws, wheel cylinder mounting bolts, most brake lines without twisting off. Reconnected the original spark plug wires. Car starts and runs awesome, goes forward and backward. Once water pump and t-stat are done, gas tank cleaning, pinion seal and securing the left front fender are all that's keeping it off the street in front of my house.

I'd like to take it to watch the fun at Great Lakes Dragaway this weekend (probably Sunday) but won't have it ready in time.

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
At the show I went to Saturday I bet there was at least 10 4 doors , as far as value I can't even give away 4 Dr doors lolView attachment 36237View attachment 36238View attachment 36239

Nice looking car Brian.

I agree with the "I can't even give away 4 door cars" statement. I do like the 4 door hardtops and I too am seeing more and more 4 door cars at car shows.
I heard this a long time ago from a friend. He said he bought a 4 door Model A to hot rod and he wanted to take the wife and kids along when cruising
or going to a car show. I thought at the time it was a novel idea and maybe some day it would catch on. (he sold it and it never happened) That said, I don't think that's the reason I'm seeing more 4 doors at car shows.
I think it has more to do with the cost. A nice 283 2 door Impala can run $10,000 or more. That same 4 door Impala can be had for half that or less and you can take the kids or grandkids along. :cool:

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Anyone know if the front doors off a 4dr are the same as the front doors on a station wagon?