Thinking about a 5 speed again !

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keisler RS 500 perfect fit came yesterday will report on the install as soon as I get done. Am also resealing the rear main and getting rid of the Moroso windage tray to. Hope to be done by the weekend. Have been in hotrodless hell for 5 months:cry

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i had a long wait also for the 500. put it in a 63 vette. you will like it. shifts like a muncie to me. not notchy
like the tko. my builder likes the tko versus the rs. however he is young. jim

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Keisler RS 500 perfect fit came yesterday will report on the install as soon as I get done. Am also resealing the rear main and getting rid of the Moroso windage tray to. Hope to be done by the weekend. Have been in hotrodless hell for 5 months:cry

What was the problem with the windage tray?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have the Richmond ROD 6, 3:27 1st .76 OD, 3:23 Posi rear, 421ci 348/460hp 490fpt 27" tire. I was worried I would not be able to use OD at 60 but not a problem. I can actually use it at 55mph. Runs 1800 @ 60 and can pull any hill with out shifting down. The 3:27 1st works great with the 3:23 rear. I have a couple friends that run the 3:08 rears and the 3:27 1st with much bigger CI motors and they say it works great but can't use the OD below 60mph.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bill, I also have 3.08 gears, but have a set of 3.36 gears I can swap out if necessary. I can live with a 4.11 first gear launch with the 3.37, :beer but what about the .67 OD gear with 3.08's? At 70 mph you would be turning 1800 rpms,(27" tall tire).
Do you think the engine would bog down and a hill?

When first installed the 409 & 700R4 the car had 3.36 gears in it. I wasn't happy with it because I never would get the trans into hi gear around town. On the freeway I had to be going 70 or so MPH for it to be happy. For my driving which I'm guessing is 70% around town or on secondary roads with a speed limit of between 45 and 60 MPH so for my driving the tall gears were not the answer. I put the 3.55's in and now it's great. 60 MPH @1950 and it will still cruise at 50 and stay in hi gear locked up.

I guess what I'm saying is think about where most of your driving is done before you decide on a rear ratio.

Dave

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What was the problem with the windage tray?

Installed a moroso tray when I built the engine. The Moroso tray has no provision for your dip stick, In fact the moroso tray uses 6 studs off of the main bering caps were the stock tray is stiffer and only uses 5 studs. because the space were the 6th stud takes up is also the space the dip stick needs to also occupy:doh. Ordered the stock GM tray that uses the 5 studs and has a oval hole in it were the stick can reach the oil:eek what a concept. Ken

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:browHey Butch I was down your way yesterday but didn't think to ask you for a phone number before I left. My sister is in the Hospital in Port Jeff.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The report on the installation and performance of the new Keisler Trans will have to wait:grumble again as they have sent me the wrong transmission. I had ordered a RS500 that has a 26 spline input shaft but instead they sent me the RS400 that has a 10 spline input shaft, but they did send me the correct 26 spline clutch plate:scratch So I'm back to waiting. Moral of this story, Don't take your car apart before you have a trans from these guys in your hands

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ken,

Sorry to hear that your project is on hold, that must be frustrating !!! :crazy Did they give you a new deliver date, or do you have to wait the 6 - 10 weeks for the correct one ??? :bang:dunno

Bill

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Derry, I hope your sister is going to be OK.:pray I spent a week in Mather Hospital with P-NEW-MONIA. a few years back. NOT FUN !!!:deal

Butch:crazy:cheers

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The report on the installation and performance of the new Keisler Trans will have to wait:grumble again as they have sent me the wrong transmission. I had ordered a RS500 that has a 26 spline input shaft but instead they sent me the RS400 that has a 10 spline input shaft, but they did send me the correct 26 spline clutch plate:scratch So I'm back to waiting. Moral of this story, Don't take your car apart before you have a trans from these guys in your hands
as i said before. i ordered the trans in feb. got my vette back a couple of weeks ago from builder. did a great job.
but anytime you change engines and trans and dash plus other things, small things pop up. i just took the vehicle
back to the builder to fix some things. so this summer and fall are shot. oh well there is always late fall and next
year.
i bet keisler will send the trans back real soon. give them a call, but they are good at customer relations. the only thing they did wrong was advertise these trans with out any already completed. meaning have all you ducks in
a line. plus they use a lot of small shops for parts. and these small shops had problems. at least they are using small american shops. jmho jim

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I asked them if it was going to take another 5 & a half months and they said no but I don't think I'll be holding my breath waiting. They need to be more honest with their customers as to how long the wait is. If they had told me up front that it was going to take 5 months I would have just replaced the clutch and put the Muncie back in a enjoyed the car for the summer and installed the Keisler when it came. Ken

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ken,

Yes that's a bummer that you missed out on driving this summer, waiting on the trans. That's a good idea waiting to tear down until you have everything ready for the change, but if we could see into the future, we'd all be rich !!!!

Bill

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
I have an older TKO in my car. It has a 3.27 1st gear and a .68 5th. It fits w/o any tunnel modifications. When I got the car it had 4.11s and 1st gear was nearly useless so I switched in 3.55s this past winter and it is definitely the sweet spot for me. 80 is about 2700 rpms and I can actually hold a conversation. The TKO is notchy but as I am driving a street car not for the 1320 its not a problem.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
You have it in a '61 with no floor mods? Did you lower the tail shaft down? Keeping the proper angle on my engine and tranny in my '62, it was not even close without cutting. I wonder what the difference is?

lnirenberg

Supporting Member 1
I have a tremec 3550 which was in the car when I bought it. I have no idea if its the same size as the newer tremec 5 spds. I had the interior stripped out this past winter for insulation and carpet so I got a good look at the tunnel and it was unaltered. I never looked at the alignment/angles behind the trannie as everything functions quite well. I sold a '70 chevelle which I had put a tko500 in behind an LS motor and it required no alterations to the tunnel, but it was replacing a 4E65 so maybe the tunnel was already chopped up. Basically, I am no help at all.

lilbuzzy

Well Known Member
just put a rs 600 in a gto with a stroker motor. it's like butter! you will never use fifth in town. my dad is a 4spd kinda guy and he said it is ten times better than any muncie he's speed shifted. we were 8 on the list in dec 2010. late july 2011 before delivered. might have to wait. but worth it.

mac1

Well Known Member
Glad to hear it worked out for you.What are your rear gears and did you have to modify the tunnel area?? They recently quoted me a minimum of 6 months for the rs600 and 3 months for the rs400/500.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
been driving the rs500 behind a ls3/480. shifts smoother than a tko. with that engine fifth gear is just fine at low
rpms (1500 to 2000) with a 3.36 rear. took the vette to a tuner that does race cars and also a alignment. thought
it only would take 4 days. got a call, wrong. good news they got most of the first gear bucking at low rpms is down
to 500rpms. bad news, they could not get it aligned right. well i guess some time a long time ago it got hit on the front left. good repair job, but the front crossmember weld is cracked. oh well no driving this year. hope next year
is better. jim
ps. i believe they do not use the ls3 with hot cam in production vehicles, do to bucking in first gear. bucking, i mean
like the wrong vacuum can or too much timing on a old sbc. on a automatic maybe the torque converter would calm
it down. jim