Thinking about a stroker short block, going rate for a block?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Reading these threads brings back a lot of fond memories for me. I had a '61 348 engine that I had bored and stroked to 434 cubes. Used a 454 crank, Edelbrock heads, 396 rods, special pistons made by Egge, 750 cfm Edelbrock carb and aluminum manifold. I don't recall the cam, but what a great engine. I put it in my '56 Chevy straight axel gasser wagon with TH400 trans. and 3.73 gears. I really miss that engine and car. Sold several years ago but the marks from hole shots in my driveway, are still there. Had a lot of power. Enough for me. Just something about those "W" engines, Carmine.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You use 2.10 x6.135 or longer rod. It slows down the bearing speed. Same as the 409 block had over the 396-454 block.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
At 7000 rpm, the reduction in mean bearing speed for the rod bearing going from 2.2” to 2.1” is less than 5 percent. Doesn’t seem worth anything. I guess the rod would be lighter which certainly doesn’t hurt but with the heavy 409 piston I would prefer the extra strength of the larger pin and rod.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
At 7000 rpm, the reduction in mean bearing speed for the rod bearing going from 2.2” to 2.1” is less than 5 percent. Doesn’t seem worth anything. I guess the rod would be lighter which certainly doesn’t hurt but with the heavy 409 piston I would prefer the extra strength of the larger pin and rod.
That is more or less what I was thinking. As much as I like "lighter" stuff, the pin size issue and overall strength with relatively heavy 409 style pistons would probably convince me not to do it.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That would probably be a good option rather than an actual sbc rod. Another interesting topic is to get piston guys talking about the pros and cons of light wrist pins.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Those pro stock guys are using Honda size rod journals. Now they do have a lighter piston.
True. Now consider this a 4.600 bore 14:1 for a 4.25 stroke and 6.385 rod is still lighter than my 4.370 bore 13.5:1 4" stroke and 6.385 rod pistons with pocket milling and under crown profiling. And pro stock guys only care about making it through the weekend instead of 300 runs.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That would probably be a good option rather than an actual sbc rod. Another interesting topic is to get piston guys talking about the pros and cons of light wrist pins.
Pro: Faster acceleration and less stress on everything
Con: Too light and they flex causing all kinds of nasty problems from galling pin bores to beating the locks out and binding of the piston on the pin. Better to be a little heavier in this case. Now if someone would make a box style piston for the 409 that would be awesome. Lighter piston, lighter pin, and a shorter stiffer pin.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With all this under sizing and no one has said anything about the strength. All this cutting is reducing the overlap between the main and rod journals. just saying.