This Freaken Car!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Pull the left valve cover and look for restricted/blocked oil drain holes in the heads.This will overload the valve seals/guides.

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
So I was going to do that anyway. just looks like I was late doing it. This motor is said to have only 20,000 ish miles maybe. Kinda weird to happen all of the sudden. Could valve seals just blow off their seats? This car is just baffling. I guess I will know the head casting tomorrow. Could the oil rings have gave up? I don't know the year of the rebuild so maybe it was a long time ago and the valve seals are crumbling.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,the factory style valve seals can't just "blow off their seats" since they are held in place at the top of the valve.he drain holes in these heads are not straight thru but kind "L" shaped.It's easy for sludge,pieces of cork from valve cover gasket replacements,and the like to restrict these holes and cause a problem.Check the oil level after it has set overnight and note the level.Run the engine for a few minutes to warm it up,shut it down and check the oil quickly.If the level is down more than about a pint,you have a drain back issue.

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
I read for hours about different kinds of valve seals. I get it now. I ran the car for a couple minutes and it smoked for a minute til it cleared up and then was clean as ever. I will try the method above tomorrow. It has never happened before until I went on this cruise at low speeds for about an hour. I was gonna pull a cover anyway to check the casting number. I will take some pics and reply. Any problem prone areas to look for or just check them all?

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
So I ran the car til warmed up (puffed a bit of oil smoke on start up ) and it sure did seem almost half a quart down after I shut it down. A couple minutes later it was about 1/4 quart down. Looks like you may have found one of my problems. I will have to find some time to remove the covers and check for debris. I sure hope it is some thing obvious!

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
I got a cover off and am looking for the drain back holes. I think I see two but they are kinda high up on the ends. Would load some pics but batteries are a charging right now. Forgot to put them on last night. Oh and the heads are 3732791 early 58 no cooling passages by the plugs like later versions. POO!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They are kinda high as all W engines are.More than likely made that way for valve spring cooling.Take a short piece of an old speedo cable,place it in a drill,and run it through those holes followed up by a blast of compressed air.It seems like that you have a very early production engine.Make sure that you use the proper short reach spark plugs when replacement time rolls around.

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
Right now it has Autolite 86. I did put a hall effect ignition in it. Speedo jumps around pretty bad at low speeds. Maybe my cable is bad.

jjzepplin

Well Known Member
Well I have been taking short trips on Sundays and aside from the vacuum noise at that certain accelerating speed it has ran great and starts every time. Then I moved and had to drive it 30 miles to the new house. Again no problems. Just drove back roads and very slow. Then when I got it home the garage started smelling like gas. Long story short the tank seam is leaking. The place I bought it from on ebay promptly sent me another one no questions and 3 day shipping too! I haven't put it in yet but it has a ten year warranty. They said to send them the leaker at my expense and they would continue the warranty. Oh what to do.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Make sure that your gas cap is vented,even if you have to pay seemingly high prices for one that's N.O.S.