Thompson OH

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I am going to mount the scoop on a hood that I will use for race only. I am wondering if this size scoop will flow enough CFM when I seal it under the hood to the carbs? How were these scoops used in the day? were they just an opening to the engine bay or were they sealed to the engine?

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim, will you be bringing your DVD player and your projection screen?

Sure, I'll bring it.:deal

I don't think anyone's mentioned that the scoop Ray's using was also used by Pontiac on some of their Super Duty Catalinas. It's also funny that they used the name "Super Duty" because that was the name Ford used on their trucks. I don't know who had the name first.
I did a search to get a photo and came across an old thread from this site that discussed the Pontiac scoops. About half way down the page you see a post by Fred, "SS425HP" that mentions the pontiac part number for a Ford part.:D
http://www.348-409.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1628.html

I'll attach a picture of a Super Duty Ford and a Super Duty Pontiac.

Attachments

• GosnoldE2.jpg
    GosnoldE2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 63cat421sd_fr.jpg
    63cat421sd_fr.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 80

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Fatride

Great find fiberglass is fine but nothing like finding an original scoop. Now to find the nerve to cut that first hole in a perfect hood, the discussion with the wife :argue: and then finding another hood to cut on.:roll:roll

Bill

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Fatride

Great find fiberglass is fine but nothing like finding an original scoop. Now to find the nerve to cut that first hole in a perfect hood, the discussion with the wife :argue: and then finding another hood to cut on.:roll:roll

Bill

The other hood is in the body shop as we speak, the disscussion with the wife was avoided. :takethat

blown 409

Well Known Member
iron block shootout?

i think we should have shootout for the fastest 409 car with (409) cast iron block )no alum or aftermarket) what ya think?? Tim

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
i think we should have shootout for the fastest 409 car with (409) cast iron block )no alum or aftermarket) what ya think?? Tim

How about a stock stroke Iron block, iron head, stock rod 409? You know,,,,,a 409 Chevy engine. I'm starting to feel like an orphan here ! :dunno

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just noticed that Tony & Bonnie Salins are coming. Way to go!:beerbang
They're bringing their 409 powered dragster. Last time I saw it they were running a fairly mild 409, I think it was running in the tens.:scratch

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fatride, I will be there burning the PURE STOCK torch:) stock stroke, rod, single carb, manifolds through mufflers :rolleyes:). We all can;t be super fast:p

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well quik9r........ if it wasn't so far I'd bring my single carb, stock rod, 817 headed 409 and you and I could have our own class......... :):cheers:cheers:beerbang

Dave

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Fatride, I will be there burning the PURE STOCK torch:) stock stroke, rod, single carb, manifolds through mufflers :rolleyes:). We all can;t be super fast:p
I sure like all this shoot out talk....that's certainly where my heart's always been. Could be more than one class. I've been around racers a bit...how are you going to keep everyone honest? Years ago there was a nostaliga race in Wentsville Mo that ran a heads up program on the honor system....seems all the small blocks were 283's and the big blocks 396's. Boys will be boys. Remember we're all doing this to have fun! Cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Years ago there was a nostaliga race in Wentsville Mo that ran a heads up program on the honor system....seems all the small blocks were 283's and the big blocks 396's.

Well then Russ.............that would make your engine a 348!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll

No problem.

b-d409

Well Known Member
How about a stock stroke Iron block, iron head, stock rod 409? You know,,,,,a 409 Chevy engine. I'm starting to feel like an orphan here ! :dunno

A stock stroke 409 shootout sounds good to me Ray. :brow At only 40 over, my 417 cubes seem like a small block anymore. :doh

Dan

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Super Chevy

Good New's Guy's, Super Chevy is sending John Moore a photographer to Thompson :clap Here's the E-mail I just received

Hi Jim -

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is John Moore, a freelance photographer for Source Interlink Media and more specifically, Super Chevy Magazine. I have been asked by my editor, Jim Campisano, to attend and cover this event for Super Chevy.

Would you please forward to me any information that I need for press credentials for this event and let me know where the host hotel is for the event? I am planning on shooting a ton for the pages of Super Chevy including a majority of the drag racing action. While there, I hope to find many nice vehicles for future feature articles.

Please let me know the details and I look forward to meeting you.

Regards,

John Moore
Freelance Photography
Source Interlink Media
(734)620-7157
steedanorth@hotmail.com