To sleeve or not to sleeve?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That's the question! I need to decide if I should use my MSD SBC distributor and a sleeve or sell it and buy a new one. Is there only one sleeve mfg? Give me the pros and cons on the sleeve. I have read old discussions on oil restriction, but no answer as to why that would be if it is machined correctly. $300 new dist. or $100 new sleeve + old dist. Thanks guys!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't have any actual experience with the sleeves but I'd imagine they would work fine. But I could see where they would have to be installed pointing the right way in order to avoid blocking any oil passages. See this thread... http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5227 Still, if I could afford it I'd rather have the new MSD designed for the 348/409 and eliminate the potential problem.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
MSD sleeved?

Looking at pics of the new MSD distributors for 348/409, they appear to be small block with a sleeve. Anybody have one or seen one of these? Hate to purchase what I already own.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've got one. It's a solid billet aluminum body that's made the right size for the 348/409. It works great.

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use the new MSD distributor in my dragster and I went almost .2 faster than it did with an old mallory dual-point. The only other change that was made at the same time I replaced a Holley 800 cfm spread bore with a new Quick-Fuel 750 cfm Holley. I think MSD makes a quaility part and their help line was great. I have never used the one that is sleeved but the new one, made for an 09, is well worth the money.

Tony

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ignition system

Give Ignition man a try. DQ swears by his work. Haven't had the chance, myself. emailed him last winter, but had other things going on at the time. A quote from him might just turn your head.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have the Mallory Unilite distributor made for the 348/409 applications. Seems to work fine and does not require a control box. Works with the stock wiring harness also...

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Missing The Point

I have a new billet MSD distributor for sbc and would like to use it in the new engine. I want to know if there are issues with the sleeve for the W engine. Anybody using it now or had used it in the past? Looking at pics of it, I don't see where there would be a problem anywhere. It looks like it raises the base and incleases the dia. of the shaft that directs the oil to the lifter galley. I just thought if there is a problem I would just buy a new MSD, but hey, thats $300+. Thanks

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sleeve

Models916
I've been using a sleeve in my motors for the past 10+ years, in the Screamer
have used a aluniumin and or a steel unit in 4 different motors. I do not have
any oiling issues using the sleeve. Been using the same duel pickup MSD dist.
in all of these motors.
Go for it. :)
Allen

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If noone has any pictures and desription handy, I will take measurments and pictures tomorrow and post as soon as I can.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
From bottom of flange to bottom 5 1/8 in. flange thickness 7/16 in. flange width 2 1/8 in. outside diamiter of bottom of sleeve 1 3/8 in. Hope this helps.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ronnie,I see you know how to post photos now,good job :clap Is that your Pontiac in the background your trying to sell?

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, I decided it was time to see if I could figure this picture thing out. A bunch of punching buttons and experimenting. Ya know, these computer gadgets just might stay around awhile. Yes , that is my 82 Trans-am. Gotta get off my can and take pictures and get it listed and turn it into 409 money.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Msd does make a drop in unit. Show cars offers several different msd units with sleeves attached from what their pictures show. I'd believe Allen. If they hold up in his car, they'd old up in anything. Bob

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
looking again ronnie do those three holes, on each one of those steps go all the way through to the other side? the diameter of those steps I guess I can get from a 348/409 dist.