Tooth's 68 Chevy ll Beater Project

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This afternoon around 2 o’clock I decided to take the nova out for a test drive with the new springs and gear. I heard my throwout bearing chirping a little bit at first, I guess it was due to sitting all winter and not disengaging the clutch just starting it up and let that run every month and a half or so. But the chirping went away soon and I used to drive on my road around 30 to 35 mile an hour in second gear, now it’s in third gear in about 2100 RPM. Obviously it takes off easier and you have to shift the little sooner but all in all I’m convinced that is the correct street gear. If I was going to make this just a long trip cruise it would probably have to have a smaller cam in it, and about a 3.00 gear in it. The 325 would probably work with a little bit taller tire though. But now I have to put the limiter (MSD) in it and get the antifreeze out of it because 21 March is THE HOT ROD REUNION in MOKAN:cool: as of right now I plan on going and seeing what happens. All the cool guys down there and a lot of cool cars. It’s only three hours away and an easy drive. Probably get a hotel Saturday night and go back to the track Sunday. Fun drags are on sat. And I think a bracket race on Sunday. If I don’t get kicked out Saturday for not having a roll cage :confusedI should be good to go for Sunday.James is really ready to see me put the hammer down on this thing. Me too for that matter. I was speed shifting in a little bit today and the RPM didn’t seem to drop much at all as a matter fact my neighbor Zach said as I was rolling into it and it started spinning and I speed shift into second gear he said the left front tire came off the ground a little.:D It was actually hooking up pretty good on the concrete. I could feel it pulling pretty hard to my garage door opener came off my visor and hit me in the face when I hit second gear. I guess that was my wake up call when I hit third gear I shut it down. He rode with me and I did the same thing with him in the car. He said he could not believe how nice it Road now and how much fun it was to drive. I agree! He was kicking himself for not shooting a video when I left. I know his neighbor up the road Ricky Ray was standing in front of his shop when I came by wave at me. I know he heard me coming so did Danny Miller. Here it is March and I’m already terrorizing the neighborhood. What a wonderful day never did get over 190° on the temperature gage. And oil pressure was good. All went well and hopefully it’ll do the same if I get to make it to the track. Thanks James for helping me change the springs.:good And yes,I did burn a tire!

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
About a week ago, when I went into the garage to get something, I tripped, and a bunch of boxes avalanched on top of me. I couldn't get up, and that was a bad situation. This week I tossed out a bunch of junk that was just that....... junk... Now you know why they call me the Junkman, but the name was already taken here, so I went with Junky. I had a neighbor give me a hand, I pointed, and he lifted. The only good news is that I found my tire pressure gauge that has been missing since last fall.... that is fall, as in September... not the last time that I fell...
Maybe you'll find more Biden votes

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
About a week ago, when I went into the garage to get something, I tripped, and a bunch of boxes avalanched on top of me. I couldn't get up, and that was a bad situation. This week I tossed out a bunch of junk that was just that....... junk... Now you know why they call me the Junkman, but the name was already taken here, so I went with Junky. I had a neighbor give me a hand, I pointed, and he lifted. The only good news is that I found my tire pressure gauge that has been missing since last fall.... that is fall, as in September... not the last time that I fell...
Coulda used Sanford & Son........

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
This afternoon around 2 o’clock I decided to take the nova out for a test drive with the new springs and gear. I heard my throwout bearing chirping a little bit at first, I guess it was due to sitting all winter and not disengaging the clutch just starting it up and let that run every month and a half or so. But the chirping went away soon and I used to drive on my road around 30 to 35 mile an hour in second gear, now it’s in third gear in about 2100 RPM. Obviously it takes off easier and you have to shift the little sooner but all in all I’m convinced that is the correct street gear. If I was going to make this just a long trip cruise it would probably have to have a smaller cam in it, and about a 3.00 gear in it. The 325 would probably work with a little bit taller tire though. But now I have to put the limiter (MSD) in it and get the antifreeze out of it because 21 March is THE HOT ROD REUNION in MOKAN:cool: as of right now I plan on going and seeing what happens. All the cool guys down there and a lot of cool cars. It’s only three hours away and an easy drive. Probably get a hotel Saturday night and go back to the track Sunday. Fun drags are on sat. And I think a bracket race on Sunday. If I don’t get kicked out Saturday for not having a roll cage :confusedI should be good to go for Sunday.James is really ready to see me put the hammer down on this thing. Me too for that matter. I was speed shifting in a little bit today and the RPM didn’t seem to drop much at all as a matter fact my neighbor Zach said as I was rolling into it and it started spinning and I speed shift into second gear he said the left front tire came off the ground a little.:D It was actually hooking up pretty good on the concrete. I could feel it pulling pretty hard to my garage door opener came off my visor and hit me in the face when I hit second gear. I guess that was my wake up call when I hit third gear I shut it down. He rode with me and I did the same thing with him in the car. He said he could not believe how nice it Road now and how much fun it was to drive. I agree! He was kicking himself for not shooting a video when I left. I know his neighbor up the road Ricky Ray was standing in front of his shop when I came by wave at me. I know he heard me coming so did Danny Miller. Here it is March and I’m already terrorizing the neighborhood. What a wonderful day never did get over 190° on the temperature gage. And oil pressure was good. All went well and hopefully it’ll do the same if I get to make it to the track. Thanks James for helping me change the springs.:good And yes,I did burn a tire!

Tooth I drove right by MoKan yesterday, the wife and I were on our way home from Wichita visiting the grandkids (granddaughters B-day). We take hwy. 400 straight into Wichita as their house is right by the turnpike and 400, do you stay in Langdon KS when you go there or do just go for the day?

Attachments

• tempImageNoBpU0.jpg
    tempImageNoBpU0.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 16

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My sister lives in Monette Pierce city area, I usually stay with her. About 40 minutes away from the track. Don’t know about this year though yet? I don’t know if James is going to go and share a hotel room or if I may go to Gateway and pit next to Ralph and has 63. He’s want me to go up to Gateway on this that Saturday because it’s a test and tune and gateway all day. My big dilemma is not sure how many people will show up at fun day on Saturday. And the hot rod reunion. I would like to make some laps if everything works out all right. Not sure how many laps you’ll get it over 400 cars show up at MoKan? I’ve got a few days to figure it out though. Any ideas? What’s on your mind? I’m going to get a hotel need to get a reservation soon.

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well after a long week at work and trying to clean up some loose ends I finally got the MSD 6AL box installed. I took the old four pin HEI module out, and hooked up the violet and green wire to the pick up. I fabricated a plate and painted it and put it behind the glove box door. I hooked everything up put all new wire ends on wire tied everything up and it is finished. It’s about 9 o’clock Thursday night and I had to work till almost 630 tonight. Tomorrow night when I get off work I’m gonna fired up and make sure everything‘s OK and check my total advance timing. Hopefully that box sitting in my shop for 10 years won’t affect it.:confused The only module I had went to 5800 RPM, so I went down to my buddy Jameses Monday night and picked up a module that goes to 8000 RPM.:brow I’ve got it set at 7000 RPM and my shift light comes on at 6800 RPM. James is kind of handy to have around if you know what I mean. I always try and return the favors back to him whenever possible at any cost. Hopefully everything will work OK and we can get The antifreeze out of it and water put back in it. Other than that it’s only bolt on the HOOSIERS! :winnerSo tomorrow night is going to be the test fire up to make sure the box works. :pray Man that thing sure has gotten dirty under the hood the last time I’ve taken it out for a couple of runs. I guess a good hose down will test the ignition too.:D I’m sure glad it’s not painted yet, and the Dukes of Hazzard haven’t got $hit on me! :driver
5F835DDD-7AB4-4483-AA79-621B8321C661.jpegF3E9A248-DB5C-4391-9AC1-F2B988E7AF45.jpeg2747CC57-D6F2-40C4-BE89-84547D9C37A0.jpeg896EF465-5E9D-4921-87C8-CC33F5ED0A29.jpeg

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I haven't really decided yet, I'm going to make the 63 into a race car and it will have a cage in it. I have several Big Blocks and I might put a little bit milder Big Block in my Nova and just keep it on the street only. But you got to have something to run at the track till you get your race car done so it's a tough decision that I've not really made yet. It all depends on how it runs next weekend at mokan. Might have to sandbag a little bit so they don't get upset with me. But I plan on putting them in the position to where they're going to have to talk to me about a cage.:brow:brow:juggle:D. If they don't just throw me out:tantrum:pan

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I guess if you're good at reading between the lines a decision has been made to go to mokan next weekend the 20th and 21st to the hot rod reunion with the Beater Nova. I was kind of wanting to go to Gateway and meet Ralph and do some test and tune there, and of course see how his car runs. It's about a six-hour drive to mokan for Ralph though and I can understand why he doesn't want to come that far. I think it's a great opportunity though because Saturday they'll open The Grudge racing and Fun day racing at noon and probably run till after midnight. And then there's a bracket race with classes on Sunday. I hope to participate in both if I can get my crew chief 2 keep my car running.:confused I'm going to take off Friday to load everything up so we can get down there early Saturday. I don't know if Dean is going to be there or Steve or anybody else but if you are you need to look us up. If you think you might participate in the hot rod reunion give me a shout out so we can try and get together. Be cool if we could all Pit close to each other. I'm getting excited just thinking about the new Springs and the gear and the ignition upgrades. I really need to do something to my seat because I think it's been slowly bending the back at the hinges. It's a 68 Camaro seat and I think I might need to put some gussets on it. makes it kind of hard when you're drag racing in a recliner:crazy I'd really like to keep those seats in the car but if I can't figure out a way to keep it from folding backwards then it'll be time to replace it and I hope that the car will leave harder now so that may become more of an issue.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Repossessed a 72 road runner about 1975. Had to boost it and fix a flat- drivers seat was supported by a tire standing up behind it, worked pretty good. The 3 of us had to drink a case of beer while doing it, the good old days. It was an ugly green 318 auto.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So I guess if you're good at reading between the lines a decision has been made to go to mokan next weekend the 20th and 21st to the hot rod reunion with the Beater Nova. I was kind of wanting to go to Gateway and meet Ralph and do some test and tune there, and of course see how his car runs. It's about a six-hour drive to mokan for Ralph though and I can understand why he doesn't want to come that far. I think it's a great opportunity though because Saturday they'll open The Grudge racing and Fun day racing at noon and probably run till after midnight. And then there's a bracket race with classes on Sunday. I hope to participate in both if I can get my crew chief 2 keep my car running.:confused I'm going to take off Friday to load everything up so we can get down there early Saturday. I don't know if Dean is going to be there or Steve or anybody else but if you are you need to look us up. If you think you might participate in the hot rod reunion give me a shout out so we can try and get together. Be cool if we could all Pit close to each other. I'm getting excited just thinking about the new Springs and the gear and the ignition upgrades. I really need to do something to my seat because I think it's been slowly bending the back at the hinges. It's a 68 Camaro seat and I think I might need to put some gussets on it. makes it kind of hard when you're drag racing in a recliner:crazy I'd really like to keep those seats in the car but if I can't figure out a way to keep it from folding backwards then it'll be time to replace it and I hope that the car will leave harder now so that may become more of an issue.
When you put your roll cage in it it you can add a seat support. :poke

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tooth, with all of the PR you are getting out of this thread, I think it's time to pull the belly-button BBC and put a W in that Nova before the cancel culture fires up. Just my .02 it looks like you guys are having too much fun.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Funny you should mention that! I told James not too long ago that I should put the 409 race motor on building in the nova. And he just could not understand why I would take a motor out of a perfectly good running car? So that’s why I bought the 63 Belair is to build a race car. And I also have the 348 stroker motor to put in my shop truck. I still think it would be a good idea to put A stroker W motor in a nova:wacko and James told me I should drive it like it was stolen this next weekend, And if something catastrophic happens well you know what my next steps going to be! I got a passenger car 1965 feb 28 409 standard bore block sitting on the shelf in the shop. My truck block is down at the machine shop. I’m not going to try and destroy my big block Chevy on purpose, but if something should happen to it I could definitely see a transplant for its future. Besides when I drove it to a cruise or a car show or someone wanted to see what was under the hood they would be baffled and confused. I think that would be worth the price itself!:facepalm :burnout