Tractor pull contest

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. This past weekend I went to a tractor pulling contest. These are quite popular in my area. You/your tractor are regulated by weight and put into a certain class accordingly. You're hooked to a weighted sled and you pull it as far as you can before spinning your wheels. There is a weight on this sled which moves forward putting more demand on your tractor as you drive along. Most go about 180' or so. I like things like this. You set up your chair and I can watch this all day long. Very relaxing. I grew up in farm country and worked on every farm imaginable. Farm equipment has always fascinated me. At one time not too long ago, I owned a Farmall "H" tractor. Sweet running machine. Sold it because at that time, I didn't use it much and it needed tires. This tractor was therapeutic for me. I would go on 45 minute rides with it. No phone. No tv. No music. No people. Felt much better when I got back. Many tractors at this event, were Ford 8N's. They pulled pretty well. I always liked these tractors because they had the expanded front end in comparison to the tricycle front end. I did a little research and found many available. Some restored nicely. I was thinking maybe in the Spring, look a little further into possibly purchasing one. I have a lot of grandchildren. Maybe get a small hay wagon and when they all come over, go on a hay ride. I posted some pics. Thanks for looking, Carmine.

Tractor Pull 1.jpgTractor Pull 2.jpgTractor Pull 3.jpg

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I also share the love of the working farm tractor. I grew up in farm country too. I have a 1975 UK Massey ferguson 135, 45 hp Perkins Diesel. I am constantly amazed at how much that tractor will pull. I love to pull large trees with it. The front wheels dancing lightly over the ground and the back traction tires carving out chunks of dirt as they search for grip. Ahh.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. This past weekend I went to a tractor pulling contest. These are quite popular in my area. You/your tractor are regulated by weight and put into a certain class accordingly. You're hooked to a weighted sled and you pull it as far as you can before spinning your wheels. There is a weight on this sled which moves forward putting more demand on your tractor as you drive along. Most go about 180' or so. I like things like this. You set up your chair and I can watch this all day long. Very relaxing. I grew up in farm country and worked on every farm imaginable. Farm equipment has always fascinated me. At one time not too long ago, I owned a Farmall "H" tractor. Sweet running machine. Sold it because at that time, I didn't use it much and it needed tires. This tractor was therapeutic for me. I would go on 45 minute rides with it. No phone. No tv. No music. No people. Felt much better when I got back. Many tractors at this event, were Ford 8N's. They pulled pretty well. I always liked these tractors because they had the expanded front end in comparison to the tricycle front end. I did a little research and found many available. Some restored nicely. I was thinking maybe in the Spring, look a little further into possibly purchasing one. I have a lot of grandchildren. Maybe get a small hay wagon and when they all come over, go on a hay ride. I posted some pics. Thanks for looking, Carmine.

View attachment 65294View attachment 65295View attachment 65296
I'm thinking a 409 will fit in a 8N no problem!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was into the garden tractor pulling for a short time.
Cub Cadet 12 H/P Kohler with a 10 H/P head.
Ground my own cam, small block chevy valves.
I gave up when I couldn't get a clutch to hold.
Funny you mentioned that James. They also had an area where they were doing the same thing with garden tractors/sleds as the big boys were doing. Quite interesting to watch them. I never knew they existed. Also noticed several teenage females involved in this competition. Good thing to see that, Carmine.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
State ABATE party. Pulled the sled with my 1995 stroker Road King. Damn near pulled the sled out of the fair grounds, First place trophy. Not sure how those rock hammers got in the saddlebags but they sure gave me traction....:winner:winner:winner It ain't cheatin unless you get caught.:tongue2no rules at an ABATE party anyhow.

Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
State ABATE party. Pulled the sled with my 1995 stroker Road King. Damn near pulled the sled out of the fair grounds, First place trophy. Not sure how those rock hammers got in the saddlebags but they sure gave me traction....:winner:winner:winner It ain't cheatin unless you get caught.:tongue2no rules at an ABATE party anyhow.

Are we talking about the same sled that the fat little guy with the white beard and the red suit & fly's around in Dave?

Mark

Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah I could do a pretty fair job of impersonating him myself you might say I've put on a few but I'd probably lose out on my unlike Santa quality's I kinda fall in with W.C. Fields when it comes to kids because I was one once and I know what their capable of.

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There was actually a kit available to convert an 8n to either a Ford inline flat 6 or a flathead v8

Russ didn't Ford have the option for a V/8 flathead in the 8 N for awhile or am I just thinking about something I saw on Utube?

Mark