Tranny / Clutch help

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Early m20 not's that bad. Just got to be carefull. My sag was ok be hide the 396. Just no BANGIN gears or side step clutches. My rag has a M20 with the 1inch pin. I bang it as hard as I can. 327 3.31 rear. Thay can all break, just when.

Let me clear this up a little. The heads are for the 409. The nash or whaterver I get will go behind the 09. I'm not sure I can do both. When the 09 is done I need a tranny that wll last. If I get a 2.88 ST10 with a good CLUTCH. I can do the 09, but I will get slowed down again.

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Tom, I use the Hays Performance pressure plate with the Competition clutch disc, that is a upgrade from the street clutch disc. Yes I race the Biscayne and launch at 4200 rpm. I don't power shift it anymore because I want to keep everything together. It has run 12.50's at 110 mph, over the years I have lost 2 rear ends a drive shaft and a clutch:doh but it sure has been fun.:roll

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Like Garbageman said the Jerico is the hot setup !:clap:clap:clap

Not often in your life can you buy something that is better than you expect, The jerico is one of the few products that is in that category.:bow

My Jerico's are both 3.04 or 3.08 first gear , w/ the camaro leaving the line @ 6600 rpm or higher @ the "09" somewhere near 6000 rpm . In the 16 years that i have had them i have broken 1st gear one time & had a few other small issues. this is w/ 60 ft times in the 1.37 -- 1.45 range. BTW the camaro isn't light either ,my mininum weight in A/S w/ the 427 is 3570 lbs.

Some time back in another post i covered the clutch situation, the fast clutches have durability problems & mostly are maintaince nightmares . :eek: I'm not sure of the part #'s but the Ram 1200 - 1700 adjustable PP with a 6 pad bronze metallic disc will do a fine job w/o costing a small fortune , Once it's in and you get the pressure set it's nearly maintaince free. Ram also rebuilds their products quickly & very reasonablly.

Hope this helps !

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
GOOD info

Thats the stuff i need to hear.:clap:cool:

QuickShift, I might have the same PP on the shelf. 39-604 Comp Long 2800 #. Have a super connector disc to go with it. Had it in the car for a SHORT time. MAn it was a leg builder. It even flexed the fire wall:eek: Put an adjustable RAM in. Long with 2200# and the hays disc. It works but bogs. Resone for this thread.

Denny, I see the high end clutches but WOW, I just can't muster that kinda scratch. I like the RAM. I was looking hard at a lower pressure, 800 - 1400, with counter weights and a n iron disc. Do you use the higher pressure because of the bronze disc? Same in both cars?

Thanks

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Did I step in it??

I bought the nash. Got it, 2 inline shifters (hurst and long), 2 yokes, $1500. I hope it last. It is a very early case without the center support bearing. Now I need a clutch. Might get the one Denny Ford uses.

Denny, where do you have the clutch adjusted to? Does it slip at all on launch??

Garbageman, is your clutch fixed at 1800# or adjustable?

I also have new heads. Maybe I will finally get this project started.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Thomas I am running by clutch at an adjusted 1800 lb. This has worked fine for me. It is adjustable but for me that means a lot of work getting to the adjustment screws since I don't have an access panel in my bellhousing.

Good luck with your setup.

Paul