Transmission demolition

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The dr4 with the top and bottom loader case is the weakest of the Jericho/GForce boxes. The dr4 with the top loader aluminum case is stronger. The dr4-rev4 is stronger yet with an increased diameter where the end of the main shaft fits into the input shaft with the needle bearings. The problem with the Jerichos and the early g101 or Tex 101 is that the main and counter shafts are not tied together. What happens is the counter and main shafts start spreading apart and that is what knocks the teeth of the gears (3rd especially) or worse. If you feel the edge of the gears and there is a burr starting to form, that's why. It's the gear boxes way of saying you've reached the limit. The new G101a has a handcuff that holds the counter and mainshaft together making it very strong. That is one reason why a liberty is so strong. They use two counter shafts like a big truck to keep everything in alignment. I switched to the G101a about three years ago and have had zero problems with well over 100 passes in a mid 10 second 3900 pound car. Someone I race with used a G101a he got used in his mid 8 second Fairlane with no failures and it was a clutch assisted trans he shifted clutchless which is harder on it. It is one tough trans and will support well north of 700 hp with ease. And like I said, when GForce gets loaded up with them as they come off lease, they discount them drastically on ebay to move them out. Just have to keep an eye out.

de31168

Well Known Member
That first gear will get you every time..
21584959_10207630529641311_537317844_n.jpg
21476254_10207630529601310_1125275842_n.jpg

de31168

Well Known Member
We've already changed to the G-Force GF5R clutchless 5 speed. It has held up pretty well for 2 years except for all the broken 4th gears thanks to their erroneous clutch recommendation. I will say though after the 3rd time they were nice enough to send a gearset, mainshaft, and anything else that we needed. His assumption was that the mainshaft was out of line by .030 and that was eating up the gear. We shall see what 2018 brings with a softer pressure rated clutch.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If I remember correctly, I believe it was Mike Long that told me when I bought my G force that they had never lost a first gear. My thought was "wow". Seems like it was around 1 1/8" thick.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Beautiful work but I think it's still just a temporary band aid compared to what's out there. If it breaks again you'll have as much in it as going to a g101a.