Tri Power Running Rich.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
After sitting a week, I think carbed engines are like women, you can have a dozen that look alike but they all start and run differently. :bow:bow You have to hold your mouth just the right way.
My 4gc 283 you had to dump gas into or it would wind over forever, the afb on my 409 starts pretty good, pump it and roll it 5 seconds, repeat twice, it starts right up.

wristpin

Well Known Member
An engine needs several squirts from the accelerator pump to start. Perhaps you have fuel in your float bowls but no accelerator squirts. Operate the throttle as you look down the carb throats to see if there is a good stream of fuel. As far as which carb to drip a little fuel in by hand, it doesn't matter.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Personally ether belongs in diesels imo. It drys out the cylinder walls in a gas engine. Would it be an evaporation problem or a leak back problem?

Dave interesting thought. Yes, I agree ether isn't great for gas engines but my theory is just a quick sniff and it runs briefly for one second. Seems like it takes three cycles for the gas to be in the carbs. I think it is the two above problems you mentioned for my 62 but the 61 SS car starts after a couple very short crank cycles so I am thinking evaporation on it. It took me too damn long to get those two fours on the 61 Convertible to work perfect I don't care what the long start condition is because I know once it warms up it runs great. Oh, I remember those awesome 6-71 engines would use at least a half can of starting ether
Wristpin thanks for the opinion of it doesn't make any difference which carb the fuel is added to. Yes all accelerator pumps are working great but none "squirt" after the cars have been sitting for a time.
Robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Robert
Not your first rodeo.
Sounds like you've been around some Detroit's. I remember one cold winter day when putting the either to a 3-71 power unit I put the rain cap on top of an 8 ' exhaust pipe into orbit. Damn noisy explosion. Didn't hurt the Detroit any.

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert
Not your first rodeo.
Sounds like you've been around some Detroit's. I remember one cold winter day when putting the either to a 3-71 power unit I put the rain cap on top of an 8 ' exhaust pipe into orbit. Damn noisy explosion.

Now, that's funny!
Yes, around here a waterman's work boat would use 6-71's or 8V-71's. Dump trucks also the same engines. The guys running the bigger offshore boats off Ocean City used 12V-71's. I remember tinkering with gen-sets that were 3-71 or 6-71's. What a distinct sound never to be heard again.
Robert

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What always amazed me was how smooth a 3-71 was. Worst part of a DD was fuel consumption. Best thing was part interchangeability.

Last edited: