Trim Tag Question

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Since were on the topic of trim tags, I have a few questions about my trim tag. The first is the ACC codes, what is 4 and SS in this area and the second is what week does F represent for the build date? This tag is on a V8 1962 SS Impala Honduras Maroon with Black interior, any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Steve

IMG_4663.JPG

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not sure on the assembly date, the "F" might be for June? Not sure on the "4" in the ACC code area. But you know what the "SS" means.

Quick question: Clearly a "Van Nuys" California build. Did your car have the one piece bumpers from the factory?

My '62SS is a June build if I remember correctly, but it did not have the one piece bumpers. We think it might be a "June" thing, as another member has one like that as well (Quik9er).

Cheers! TomK

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
05= 5th month (May), F looks like a mis-stamp, as this digit represents the week of the build, as in A-B-C- D. , And the stamp is over the D, in Detroit. VN = plant location of Los Angeles, CA. As far as the ACC code of 4, the only person who knows what that represents is Vern FRANTZ, and that information is not for sale.:dunno

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
F is not a mis-stamp, that is the 5th week of June 1962 (look up a calendar for 1962 you can see the 5 weeks) I think Vern Frantz would agree.
My late production 1962 Impala Hardtop (July of 1962) from Van Nuys did not have one piece bumpers.

62-1847 = is 1962 (62) and 1847 is for V-8 Impala Sport Coupe -2 dr
948 is Honduras Maroon paint
812 is a black bucket seat interior
VN = Van Nuys California GM fisher body plant -the 39106 is the fisher body number from that plant
your door jamb serial number should have L in it for Los Angeles GM assembly plant along with a 21847 proceeding the L

Paul

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Senior citizen and STILL learning. Is this a great site or what. Thanks Paul..

Mike

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
here is what Vern Frantz said

Paul,

That worked fine. It is definitely stamped “F”, which is obviously a mistake. It may have been someone new on the machine and he was told to make it a week later, but instead of making it 6A, he made it 5F. I believe the 4 on the ACC line indicates the body build date was actually the 4th of the month, so that would have to be June. The body number lines up fine with an early June build date.

Verne

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Not sure on the assembly date, the "F" might be for June? Not sure on the "4" in the ACC code area. But you know what the "SS" means.

Quick question: Clearly a "Van Nuys" California build. Did your car have the one piece bumpers from the factory?

My '62SS is a June build if I remember correctly, but it did not have the one piece bumpers. We think it might be a "June" thing, as another member has one like that as well (Quik9er).

Cheers! TomK
Tom what does the SS mean, is it a marking for a Super Sport? I didn't think the Super Sport package was indicated on the trim tag in 62. No my car did not have 1 piece bumpers when I got it (1988), if it was built with them they were changed by the time I bought it.

Steve

Last edited:

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
here is what Vern Frantz said

Paul,

That worked fine. It is definitely stamped “F”, which is obviously a mistake. It may have been someone new on the machine and he was told to make it a week later, but instead of making it 6A, he made it 5F. I believe the 4 on the ACC line indicates the body build date was actually the 4th of the month, so that would have to be June. The body number lines up fine with an early June build date.

Verne
Paul, Thank You and please tell Vern Frantz Thanks also for his input on the trim tag, and yes my door jamb VIN # has an L in the middle. I bought this car 1 month after the owner moved to St. Louis and it still had valid CA plates registered to it. The original engine and trans were long gone in place was a 350/350TH, the car was born, with a 327/powerglide.

Steve

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
My 1962 Impala SS has the VN stamping and has the "SS" on the cowl tag as well. Since I have the original invoice and it has the SS package listed as an option, I always assumed it was a factory SS car. I know that some SS parts could be added by the dealer, so to me this is a factory SS car, not dealer installed.

Does that make sense?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
My 1962 Impala SS has the VN stamping and has the "SS" on the cowl tag as well. Since I have the original invoice and it has the SS package listed as an option, I always assumed it was a factory SS car. I know that some SS parts could be added by the dealer, so to me this is a factory SS car, not dealer installed.

Does that make sense?

VN cars were marked SS for Super Sport optioned cars, they marked the 61's the same way

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Since were on the topic of trim tags, I have a few questions about my trim tag. The first is the ACC codes, what is 4 and SS in this area and the second is what week does F represent for the build date? This tag is on a V8 1962 SS Impala Honduras Maroon with Black interior, any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Steve

View attachment 78169
Is your car a factory AC car? If so the 4 in acc line I believe is for AC. My 58 Impala is a factory AC car and has a 4 in the ACC line. Verne is pretty tight lipped about not commenting on ACC codes and I respect his reasons why.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Is your car a factory AC car? If so the 4 in acc line I believe is for AC. My 58 Impala is a factory AC car and has a 4 in the ACC line. Verne is pretty tight lipped about not commenting on ACC codes and I respect his reasons why.
No my car does not have factory AC.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1

Does that make sense?
The 812 for the trim indicates that the car is a factory SS as that number is for black vinyl bucket seats which would have only come in a SS car. You can also tell a real SS car by the bucket seat brackets welded to the floor pan, and the wire harness for the console box light.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Carl 1962, I too have a 62 SS car, built in VN California 30126, same color 812/948. Its under
restoration at the this time. I did find some interesting things when tearing it down. Under the
heater box on the cowl, I found in chalk marks SS, and under that further down a 46, and on the same side of the passengers cowl side, the Large Letter P. The other side of the cowl, right of the hood hinges and down, the numbers 412, 48. My vin ACC is 30 EZI SS. Hope your having fun with your car. My car came with org. 327-250hp Powerglide, post rear 3:08.