Ultimate 348???

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Some have, no doubt, already pursued this. I'm sure there have been projects gone bad or those that have even impressed the likes of the everyone.

So here it is guys and gals...Your opinion on how to build a great HiPo 348! Do you build it factory "Police" version, as per "Home Page" stats...or over-bore and stroke it, mix and re-work other W heads, cam, pistons, rods, intake and carbs, ignition, exhaust etc.

What would it take to blow away a street SB or BB with your Opinion/version of the 348. What year 348 to avoid.

Recipe for a hyper 348???

1. Year (Best to pursue)
2. bore (Maximum / preferred)
3. stroke (orignal or stroked versions)
4. piston (lightened/compression ratio etc.)
5. rod (original or other)
6. head (stock or re-worked) (Big 690/583 heads are overkill and don't work well.)
7. Valves (int/exh) Max!
8. intake & carb set-up...(Eye candy re: 2X4...3X2) or 1X4)
9. Camshaft. (Street/Strip)
10. lifters? (Solid/Roller/Hydr)
11. oil pump/ water pump?
12.Ignition? (Variations)
13. Cooling Rad?? (3 or 4 core or more)

Opinions on this??:coffee:

RCE1962

blown348

if you are making 348 block can be anything from ´58 up but heads should be ´59 or never( water passages around plugs).
I have ´61 hipo? 305hp 348.
She has stock bore and stroke w/ stock pistons w/ fly cut valve pockets for high lift.
Rods are stock w/ arp vawelock bolts and mains are arp studs.
Heads are fully ported stocks w/ 2.07/1.72 valves
Headers have 2" primeris and exhaus is 3"
Intake is homemade for V6-71 blower
Carbs are 4 2-barrel dellórtos
Cam is Crane mech.roller 236/244 at .050 w/.634 lift
Ign is Crane HI-6, max rpm at 6800, water pump is stock rad is 31" wide 2-row aluminium w/ 2x16" electrick fans(no overheating)
Dyno was good for 520hp wich she made easily.
1957-1.jpg

She went at airstrip 13,7/107mph stopped spinning wheels at the end of 3gear.
She kicked *** at street a lot of sb´s bb´s and ricers.
Don´t know if she is hyper 348 but she was FAST!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Blown348, The funny thing is I thought of your engine when this topic came up.:scratch It always seemed like a good setup to me. I't wouldn't surprize me to see your car go into the elevens with good traction. Not bad for a 348!:clap

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
A bit more "old school"

I have been assembling the parts over the past couple of years to build an "old school" version of the 348 for use in a 1961 Bel Air Sport Coupe I started to restore a few years back (before I took on my current project). It will be a more mild street build, different than "Blown348"s more radical build. So far I have been assembling the bigger pieces of iron and have not made any commitments to finish details, such as cam selection and so forth. I figured I'd get some experience once I get around to driving my 409 build, which hasn't happened yet...

Here are the components I have so far:

348 block from 1960-61, roughed to just below .030" awaiting final fit once the pistons are procured.

817 heads, stainless valves, probably bigger than stock.

3x2 intake and carbs from a 1960 car, correct carbs and linkage (told you it was old school -- plus I prefer multiple carbs).

Since I have more 409 cranks than 348 cranks, probably go with a "mini-stroker" reciprocating bottom end, which means new (special) pistons on BBC rods. Plans are to get with CPG for final determination of pistons.

Definitely a four speed connection, already have the iron casing/aluminum tail BW T-10.

That's the main course, with details such as cam profile and such to be nailed down as I get more experience. No timetable as I'm still fussing with a body-off project. Maybe next year? The year after?

The car will be a "driver" quality build. Strong, solid and well put together, but not a "show car". More of an amateur restoration. Same goes for the driveline build: solid, somewhat muscular, but not performance oriented.

It will be interesting to see what others are thinking, and to my advantage to pay attention, as that's how I learn. Our collective experiences directly influence most of my decisions. I basically listen to many opinions, then decide for myself, then implement the decisions with details to follow. Fun!

I look forward to other's opinions as this thread continues :).

Cheers!
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
blown 348, Your ingenuity is fantastic. Home made intake and 4 two barrel "what"!! How about a little info. on the carbs. 6,800 rpms with cast pistons?? I love it !! Are they really cast or did you mean 348 stock type of forged pistons. I hope they are cast . I like to see people push the envelope and succeed. Quite a car. Best of luck in the future.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Ronnie Russell said:
Home made intake and 4 two barrel "what"!! How about a little info. on the carbs.

Dell'orto is brand of weber style carburetors that come in both down-draft and side-draft versions. They're most commonly used on performance VW's from what I've seen. Can be a real PITA to tune, but will run like a bat out of hell when done right.

Ran a full set of the down-draft style like what's on Blown348's 348 on a 327 in a street rod for nearly a decade, but couldn't ever quite get it tuned right. Had a real unique sound when running. Switched back to a regular ol' 4 barrel last year, however. Also have a set of side-draft Solex (another brand) carbs set up for another 327. Should be an interesting setup if the car they're for ever gets finished.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Tom Kochtanek said:
I look forward to other's opinions as this thread continues :).Cheers!TomK

If you need a freshly turned 10/10 348 crank, I have one.

blown348

Sorry to say Ronnie but piston are´t cast they are original forged pistons from year ´61 as are rods. I don´t think that cast pistons could take 1/6" deep pocket for valves and still survive under 15psi of boost

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Blown348

i'am glad to see a blown W motor member on here. your 57 really looks good. the thing about your engine bay is, WOW, A BLOWER ON A 348-409, THAT'S NEAT! sure beats a small block between the fenders any day. i can relate to your statement of getting it to hook-up even in 3rd gear. torquey little things aren't they!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Wow!!

Hey blown348

That's really high on the 'WOW' factor..............:D :D

I agree with gearhead...........it's great to see a huffer on a 'W'.........:cool:

Nice car too........but that 348.........WOW!!!:bow

bj:cheers

blown348

Glad you like it but I have to tell you, Sold the Car and Blower. Kept the engine(it´s rare engine in here), going to put it in my next car ´50 fleetline w/out blower but she will have 4* 2-barrell carbs too. I´m bit sad that I sold her but it was time to move on to new projects(So much cars I want, so little money and W-engines).

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Blown 348,
Great choice for your next project. My son just picked up a 51 Fleetline and hasn't decided on an engine yet. I'm trying to talk him into a 348 since I happen to have an extra. I'm sure all of us here would be interested in the progress on the 50 so keep us posted (with pics).

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Blown348 - Sounds like you are making the intake....am I correct??? Please post photos of the intake when it is done. You build some nice cars.

TomO

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Fantastic pics on the 50 Fastback. I sent the link to my son to give him some inspiration. Here is his project so far.
OOPS, sorry about going so far off the thread, but it is related to W's.

Attachments

• P8040023.JPG
    P8040023.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 51
  • P8040024.JPG
    P8040024.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 49

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ultimate?? Just different

Not hi horse or wild, just different. I have a 92 Chevy truck with a 350. (see where this is going) 348 - 350 that's close. Pull the 350. Build the 348 to pull with. Small roller cam, 9.5 CR, balanced, tri-Y headers. The part I think is neat. Put ALL the factory accessories on with the serpentine belt. Use the electronic distributor (modify to fit) and all other electronics. Use adaptor plates to put a TBI intake on. Paint it black so it looks like it belongs there. I sure it can be done, just some more money and time.