Underhood heat and throttle response

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I do have to agree with the others in re. to heat under the hood. I've never experienced such a hot drivers compartment as I have with my '62 409. I thought my blown '57 was hot, but this one has it beat. So far I haven't experienced and performance problems, hot or cold. Lucky I guess, Carmine.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Mine runs very rich when the headlight ducts are blocked. I tested this with the A/F meter last year when I was getting the jetting worked out. That hot air can't take much fuel.

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Jason, I have a (Ram Air) air filter with 2 round 4" intake ducts. It fits the stock manifold. If your interested send a PM.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's fuel percolation. It's 87 degrees and a little humid here this afternoon which was a perfect opportunity to get it good and hot and see how it behaves. About 30 min in I could notice the exhaust note change a little a sure enough, throttle response went way down. Drove it another 25 min in stop and go traffic to really get it hot and then brought it back home. I opened the hood and was met with a face full of hot air and when I stuck my ear close to the air cleaner I could hear the fuel percolating in the bowls.

Hmm. So now to find a way to move that hot air out of the engine bay better. Might try spacing the rear of the hood up

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
A cowl induction hood would take care of getting the heat out! I would rather have a 2'' than the more common 4" hood. A friend of mine has a '66 Olds 442 with the 4" glass center section grafted to a steel hood. Looks like a factory hood. So well done on the underside. Keeps that Mondello prepped 425 inch motor with a 1000 cfm Holley plenty cool.

Denunger

I would worry about that fuel line down by the headers. Any hangers, etc., mounted toward the engine? When Edelbrock gets complaints, theu don't even want metal studs for car mounting.

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
How about a "z-11" style cowl induction, where one would not need to raise the hood?? I remember seeing something on here about a member making a "knockoff" awhile ago...

John1

Near the end of factory installed carbs, some manufacturers installed underhood fans to blow air across the carb to prevent heat related issues. Not pretty, but effective.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
John1............see you are from McHenry..............I spent the weekend before last right down the road in Wonder Lake!!