Underhood heat and throttle response

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I googled your address Dan but I'm not driving around Chicago where I don't have a clue where I'm at!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Bob Walla was too far east for me to drive clear thru Chicago to get to Crown Point!!!! Will have to meet up at a race somewhere next year.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I googled your address Dan but I'm not driving around Chicago where I don't have a clue where I'm at!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Bob Walla was too far east for me to drive clear thru Chicago to get to Crown Point!!!! Will have to meet up at a race somewhere next year.
Not coming to Wisconsin in July? Dave will be so disappointed.

John1

Phil, do you get to Wonder Lake often, it's basically just next door for me. Don't have much to share other than a very slow 50 Chevy pickup.

John

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
It's fuel percolation. It's 87 degrees and a little humid here this afternoon which was a perfect opportunity to get it good and hot and see how it behaves. About 30 min in I could notice the exhaust note change a little a sure enough, throttle response went way down. Drove it another 25 min in stop and go traffic to really get it hot and then brought it back home. I opened the hood and was met with a face full of hot air and when I stuck my ear close to the air cleaner I could hear the fuel percolating in the bowls.

Hmm. So now to find a way to move that hot air out of the engine bay better. Might try spacing the rear of the hood up

Here's Bob Walker's beautiful 63.......alot of the old racers spaced the hood at the rear......if for any other reason,a good excuse to show off 1 of my personal favorite cars........0J5B4113.jpg

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I agree that the underhood temps get incredibly high for todays gas formulation and carbs. There is absolutely no way for the hot air to escape from the engine compartment. My air filter actually touches the hood insulation. The insulation makes it even worse. Buick and Pontiac engines have valley pans which helps to keep the carbs a little cooler. The cowl induction air cleaner would keep the incoming air cool, but the carb and engine would still be plenty hot. I still think the easy remedy is the 4" cowl induction hood for functionality.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A 4 inch is illegal in some states,and can impede your forward,and to the right vision.A 2 inch would work fine and look better.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I do prefer a 2" hood myself. I was checking on glass hoods recently and only saw the 4" hood available for the '62 Chevy. My pal has a 4" on his 442 and it is plenty tall.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
SD scoop could be made to fit. 64 hood as a single center rib in the hood compared to the 2 on a 62 hood so might be a bit more of a challenge but could still work. Thats what I have been looking into to get some fresh air into the engine/engine bay. A cowl hood is out for me. They look so out of place on a full-size chevy if you ask me

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
IMAG1739.jpg [QUOTE="63 dream'n, post: 282650, member: 2321 also had a fella with a beautiful 60 Biscayne tell me a lower valance made a world of difference in his underhood temps.I believe he told me he pulled one from a 2000 Buick,said it was an easy install.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if anyone's interested in a lower valance(scoop) but I found the pics........