Update on 62 Impala in paint

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Here's the story behind the car. In 1963 my Dad purchased a 1962 Impala convertible at a bar on the way home from work one day. The family automobile at that time was a 1950s DeSoto :). We lived in the suburbs of Cleveland, so that poor Desoto had "factory rust" on it from the get go.

One Sunday on the way home from Church my Mom put her foot through the rusty floor board and promptly informed my Dad that she wasnt' riding in that car anymore and that he needed to get a new one. That was all Dad needed. Next day he comes home with the Impala convertible and for 6 months he was the coolest Dad ever (I was 12 and very impressionable). We hauled the boat to Edgewater Park on Lake Erie with that car. I always wanted one...

Fast forward 6 months and his kid brother comes home from the Navy and buys the new 1963 Corvette coupe and he quickly dropped my Dad's cool status to #2 with that one. Always wanted one of those as well :).

So that's the story behind my motivation to restore a 1962 Impala convertible and I'm sticking to it. Just wish Dad was here to see the progress :).

TomK