Update on 62 Impala in paint

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Looks really great Tom….love that color ..……

comments to help you if needed..from my frame off 62 convertible restoration - after seeing your new floor pan & fender pictures

Do you need a template for fender flags and the 409 emblems? - your fender picture does not have
the holes. I have a paper template for both fenders.
Your floor pan does not have the 62 factory seat belt nuts ( it has the 63 style and location used on repro floor pans)

Did you transfer the 2 slotted lower rear seat springs mounts to the floor pan ( convertible only) for the bottom of the upper convertbile back seat springs.

Did you transfer the convertible only spare tire mount located on passenger side of the trunk floor pan ( if that trunk floor section was replaced)

Remember to transfer the gas pedal studs and brace for the studs to the new floor pan.

Remember to transfer the convertible only top cylinder mounts to the floor pan ( nuts welded to bottom of floor pan on each side of the bottom of floor pan brace) - to bolt the cylinder brackets with 4 bolts per cylinder bracket to the floor pan.

There is a round drain hole drilled at the bottom of the each convertible top mounting structure( one on each side) for the convertble drain hoses that drain the convertible top drain gutter - to allow water to not puddle inside the car ( there are actually small rubber drain pipes about 2 inches long in these 2 holes - Steele products sells these rubber drain hoses.

Paul

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Thanks for the detail Paul! It's best to listen to those who have done this before :).

I'll give you a buzz soon and we can discuss. Just sent Rodney the Deluxe Weatherstrip Kit so we don't get any scratches during reassembly. Man, this thing has been apart and assembled so many times she's getting used to the routine :).

The original colors are Twilight Turquoise over Aqua. Ciadella supplied the interior components. Long way to go in terms of assembly. Can you guess what the drive train will be?

Paul was kind enough to sell me his former 5speed setup from his 62, from transmission with shifter to the trans support and driveshaft :).

Cheers! TomK

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Really like that color . What color top on the convertible??? Black would (I think ) would really set it off, but what ever it will look good. I would have drilled holes on fenders for engine flags before painting , always worrying slipping and scratching paint when drilling new paint. That's just me though.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The original color of the top was White, and Ginny at Ciadella's noted that there are two different whites (I think the fabrics might be different?). The cowl tag says "T 10"(I think that's "White Top") and when I first saw her I was thinking four speed (but no!).

This body is a true "Frankenstein" with full pan, new quarters, rockers, inners, trunk deck and well, even the front clip is from Dynacorn :). But the frame is true and she is a convertible, so worthy of a proper restoration. Long way to go!!!