Very light smoke still there

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:thinkAll it needs is a few dozen more 60-90 mph pulls,she's seating in.A couple or 6 second gear pulls from 2,000-5,000 at full throttle pulls will help too.:dunno2

Yes, I think I'm gaining on it. It just amazes me that this condition even exist. This is my 6th motor, 2nd "W" engine that I had rebuilt and never had this issue before. No smoke. Didn't have to break them in any particular way. I thought maybe it was unique to the "W" engine but then my 348/434 never smoked or used oil. Guess its the luck of the draw. If the weather holds out, another ride this afternoon. Looking forward to some good pulls, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yep.....I bet you will find it smokes less and less after each drive until it all but disappears.......much like your rear tire tread.
I think you might be right on that. Just came back from another ride. Ran it up to 4500 rpm's in 2nd and 3rd a few times. Pulled real strong. Got on the interstate and had it up to 85-90 mph a few times. Again, pulled real strong. I'm amazed at the power and torque. Left it running to open the garage door, and I don't want to jinx myself, but I didn't see any smoke coming from either tail pipe. I looked pretty good too. But, who knows. Going to check the oil later.

I'm approaching 800 miles on the engine. Last week, I had it on the lift and I went over every nut, bolt and fastener that I came in contact with. I'm going to do the same to the top end. The heads were already retorqued once when it was still on the dyno. So, I'm not going to do those again. The only other part that was torqued was the intake. I don't see any leaks from it. Should I retorque the intake?? I will go over everything that I came in contact with, but is there anything that needs my attention that maybe I forgot about?? Many thanks as always, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, I think I'm gaining on it. It just amazes me that this condition even exist. This is my 6th motor, 2nd "W" engine that I had rebuilt and never had this issue before. No smoke. Didn't have to break them in any particular way. I thought maybe it was unique to the "W" engine but then my 348/434 never smoked or used oil. Guess its the luck of the draw. If the weather holds out, another ride this afternoon. Looking forward to some good pulls, Carmine.

Not luck of the draw. Depends on what type of rings and grit of hone used. AND hopefully perfectly round cylinder bores.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carmine,since this engine is still settling in,I'd suggest staying with the oil set up that you're running now for a couple of thousand more miles to insure complete ring seal.I like synthetic oils better,but only after the rings have seated fully.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'll take the advice and leave the break in oil in it. I don't have to change it. Thought maybe it would have helped some how with the light blue smoke issue. Every time I check it, it is nice and clean/clear on the stick. It was pretty expensive stuff so Ill just leave it be. Thanks every one, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If all else fails, there's the ol' Bon Ami treatment.

I give up. I tried figuring out what the "Bon Ami" treatment is, but couldn't. I even changed some letters around trying to make a word, but couldn't come up with anything. I believe Bon Ami is a cleaner. Maybe run it hard and that will clean things up??? I don't know, Carmine.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Carmine, the "Bon Ami" treatment is an old mechanics trick where they would pour a few tablespoons full of BonAmi brand powderd cleanser down the carb throat while revving the engine. The purpose of the abrasive powder was to try to seal the piston rings on an engine with excessive oil consumption, possibly caused by glazed cylinder walls. I vaguely remember seeing an old GM service bulletin recommending this procedure to cut oil consumption on the 1955 Chevy V8 engines. Cecil might have some info on the bulletin or can debunk it. The story was that Ford outsold the Chevy in 55 because of the oil burning issue on the new 265 V8 engine. :dunno2

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Back, when I was a (young) kid, :danceI remember, an old time mechanic telling me, they used to pour rice down the carb, while revving the engine up.:eek3 He said, it would break up the carbon deposits on the valves, and could save the expense of a valve job.:yikes I'll pass on that.:eek1

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, the "Bon Ami" treatment is an old mechanics trick where they would pour a few tablespoons full of BonAmi brand powderd cleanser down the carb throat while revving the engine. The purpose of the abrasive powder was to try to seal the piston rings on an engine with excessive oil consumption, possibly caused by glazed cylinder walls. I vaguely remember seeing an old GM service bulletin recommending this procedure to cut oil consumption on the 1955 Chevy V8 engines. Cecil might have some info on the bulletin or can debunk it. The story was that Ford outsold the Chevy in 55 because of the oil burning issue on the new 265 V8 engine. :dunno2

OK. Got it now. I thought maybe Bon Ami stood for a method or even a joke. I didn't know you would literally pour it into your engine. If Cecil had something on this, I certainly would like to read about it. Regardless, I would never consider doing this, whether it works or not. It just doesn't sound like something you would want to do, Carmine.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
My old uncle Bob told me about it and mentioned the 55 Chevy 265. It was'nt dumping gobs of the stuff, just sprinkling some down the carb while revved up. He used the stuff on engines he overhauled at his garage. He swore by it. I tried it on a 307 I built and dropped into a 73 Vega V8 build. It worked for me.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My old uncle Bob told me about it and mentioned the 55 Chevy 265. It was'nt dumping gobs of the stuff, just sprinkling some down the carb while revved up. He used the stuff on engines he overhauled at his garage. He swore by it. I tried it on a 307 I built and dropped into a 73 Vega V8 build. It worked for me.

I remember hearing of people doing the treatment back in the day.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What a great day here in NY. Its going to be 84 degrees and not an ounce of humidity. Sun is shining. Blue skies. Going to visit my mother for a while, then when I get home, take the niner out for a ride. Has about 1/4 tank of gas, so I'll fill it with 93 octane. Going to plan a longer route this time. Its days like today that I immensely enjoy driving that car. And yes, along the way, I am going to let it eat some. About 800 miles on the motor. Its such a good running engine and I really like it a lot, Carmine.