VETERANS DAY

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My dad and mom were both vets, WW2 in Europe. I got to go to Vietnam for recreation , but what their generation did ranks them as Greatest in my book, not even close. Tragic thing is, the young folks have no knowledge or appreciation of them (or us, for that matter. Look up "OK Boomer").

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
All of my Uncles(3) as well as Dad served during the war. My Uncle who piloted 24's from Africa to Italy oil fields had the roughest time of them all but they all made it and like the rest never mentioned it much if at all. My mother and father did tell me some of the perils of my Uncle who was in the airforce. Yes, the greatest generation. My grandfather had some interesting exploits told by the family while he was with Teddy and the rough riders.
Robert

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Thanks to all of you who served.Happy Veteran's Day.We all owe you a lot, and the older we get, the more we realize this. We sometimes go through hard times, but nobody ever went through what Europe and the Pacific tolerated at the hands of others. Makes me feel very grateful, for all of you, and for life itself.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Many thanks to all that served and sacrificed.
My father was Navy for 28 years.He chased subs,flying p-3’s.Even during non war years there is dicey stuff going on every day that we don’t hear about.
We owe all veterans a debt of gratitude.
Happy Veterans Day.

El Rat

Well Known Member
Thought you all might find this interesting. My youngest son was on a nuclear sub (uss Pittsburg) for 8 years. One thanksgiving we were all sitting around BS’n and CNN was on the telle. The subject was how the US had subs with almost unlimited range. Son Jon said, “well since it’s on CNN” I can tell you; we were patrolling far north when we were dispatched to the “Med” the target was a high value terrorist meeting in the Saudi desert. They traveled submerged to the “med”,set up shop, and were in a position to obliterate everything within 1/2 mile of the terrorist powwow. All they needed was Clinton’s “go ahead”, well he couldn’t be located and after three days the opportunity was lost...Osoma bin laden was gone!!!

Note: they once travelled 43 days totally submerged. I asked him, “what did you all run out of? He said, strawberry jam!