Vin # and the 409

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There`s talk over on CT about being able to varify if a car came with a 409 by checking the vin numbers.
In regards to the VIN comment I made. Its a super secret algorithm. Vin/Cowl Tag determines engine - nuff said. I don't want to be responsible for an increase in the Clone population.

These two poster, and not ones that BS, claim that you can do it.
BUT ,,,they wouldn`t tell how,,, :takethat

Any thoughts? Read more,,, CT chat

,,,dq

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I read those posts and have been thinking about it. Since the body was Fisher, what would different be on the cowl tag that would determine 409? The only thing I can think of (on the body) is the wiring harness was different, (resistor block instead of resistor wire), but would there be some letter or something different on the cowl tag? :dunno ?

I have a neighbor that has a 64SS 327. Next week, if the weather warms up, I am going to see if she will let me take a look. Maybe I won't be able to see it since I don't know what to look for. I think that car and mine are both Janesville cars and other than engine, pretty much equiped the same.

Ron

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
There ain't no way to tell if it's a 409 from the vin number, oh yeah, DQ, could you change that damn picture, it scares me :p

California L33

Pictures like that inspire confidence. I'm never sure about people who don't post their own photo. They might be goofy looking or something.

C.L33 (Who doesn't have his picture posted.)

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dq

DQ, I see by your avitar that you have been to the makeover salon again. they sure do good work. You are looking much better since KC :roll
I just don't know about you.

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,,, GEZZZ.. You guys are no fun,,,,, I`m going home,,,, give me my ball :cry

One year ago I "joined" 348-409.com. Today I joined ChevyTalk, looks like an interesting site. As a "newbie" I guess I'll have to "rattle some bones" over there!.

Unless Richard says so, Or someone else I RESPECT I'll go with the ballast resistor not being on ONLY 409's. And MY best guess is there's doodly squat difference between a 300hp 327 and 409 as far as how it was built at the assembly plant (rad shcroud excepted). And some minor wiring
There's NO WAY to identify a 409 from the VIN number, if there were it would be well known by now.

But then I just perused a couple of posts there.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Fran,
I think your statement, "And some minor wiring" is the key to the difference between the small block cars and the 09 cars. That minor wiring was the 2 wires going to the resistor on the 409 cars. I may be wrong, but I don't think the 327 cars had that.
I'm not familiar with the 62's but I know that the 63 300 hp cars did not have a resistor on the firewall but the 09 cars did have one.
As for the 61 cars, the 283 cars did not have the resistor, I believe that only those cars considered to be hipo cars had the resistor. Case in point, my 61 348/305 hp car has a resistor, I have a 61 348/250 hp car that does not have a resistor. Both of these cars have the original wiring harness still intack.
:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Fran,
I can't get on ChevyTalk this morning, says page not available. Have you screwed that up already or did they just shut the site down when they heard you joined?

:roll :roll :roll

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The Chevrolet parts books breaks down the vin number for you and shows nothing in regard to engine size which I am sure they would note if possible. I do believe however that the 409 cars can be told by the cowl tag since the engine and transmission combinations are listed as an accesories. I have a 62 Bel Air that will get a 409 probably this summer and while it may not have come with the ballast resistor it does have one. It does not however not have the fourth arm on the rear end and I haven't even looked at the fuel line which would be easy enough to change anyway. Did all high performance 409s come standard with a tach, if so I would think that the absence of hole in the inner fender would be an indicator on the 62 cars.

M

MK IISS

Tommy: I heard they are holding secret meetings over at ChevyTalk. They are very concerned about something.

Back in '63, when I had my 409, I paid no attention to any of the small black cars including the 327/300.... considered the 327 a glorified washing machine motor. I don't know if the 327/300 had a ballast resistor on the firewall or not, but you brought up an interesting point when you said ...."only cars considered to be hipo cars had resistor." Chevrolet considered the 327/300 to be "hi-performance". Whenever you looked up any parts pertaing to the 327 pass. car engines the parts book would say "except high performance" if it was for the 327/250. Any thing that was unique to the 327/300 would say "high performance." I know that the 327/300 and 409 cars shared a common difference in the rear suspensions from the other small block cars but I can no longer remember what it was. Something about a brace or rear control arm. My mind is really starting to slip.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
MK IISS said:
Tommy: I heard they are holding secret meetings over at ChevyTalk. They are very concerned about something.

Back in '63, when I had my 409, I paid no attention to any of the small black cars including the 327/300.... considered the 327 a glorified washing machine motor. I don't know if the 327/300 had a ballast resistor on the firewall or not, but you brought up an interesting point when you said ...."only cars considered to be hipo cars had resistor." Chevrolet considered the 327/300 to be "hi-performance". Whenever you looked up any parts pertaing to the 327 pass. car engines the parts book would say "except high performance" if it was for the 327/250. Any thing that was unique to the 327/300 would say "high performance." I know that the 327/300 and 409 cars shared a common difference in the rear suspensions from the other small block cars but I can no longer remember what it was. Something about a brace or rear control arm. My mind is really starting to slip.

i have a 300 63. no resistor. my 425 car, resistor. the control arm brace, not there on the early 63s. both of my baltimore 4spd. cars, no brace. xtra upper arm? NONE had that from the factory.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I probably should not have made the reference to the "hipo" cars, that was just my thoughts. I was referring to my 61 Chevrolets and the fact that the 305 car does have a resistor and the 250 doesn't.
I don't know if the 280 hp cars had the resistor or not, I don't have an original to look at.
I had always been under the impression that all 348 cars in 1961 had the resistor until I got this 250 car and it doesn't have one and I'm sure that wiring harness is original.

M

MK IISS

Tommy: One thing I've learned from joining this forum. I can no longer depend on my memory for anything. I was not defending the position that the 327/300 had the resistor or not. Most people say it didn't and I accept that. I just brought up the point that Chevrolet refered to the 327/300 as "high performance" in some of it's printed material. The same goes for your 348/305 and higher horsepower 348 engines. That was all I was getting at. I also know that none of the '63s had two rear contol arms, not even the Z11s. But I still think there may have been something different in the rear of 327/300 and higher horsepower '63s. Maybe it was just bushings.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
I know what you mean and yes, I agree, Chevrolet did refer to the 327/300 as a hi performance engine. Someone on Grand Island must be sleeping late!! :roll

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
MK IISS said:
I also know that none of the '63s had two rear contol arms, not even the Z11s. But I still think there may have been something different in the rear of 327/300 and higher horsepower '63s. Maybe it was just bushings.

nothing different in the rear suspension parts between the models as far as i know. the 63SS obviously had different springs / shocks.
there was a retro-fit brace made by the factory to help avoid the upper control arm from being ripped loose in the hi-perf 4spd cars. this was about mid 63.
i have three baltimore 63s.
my SS300 and SS425 are identical at that point. (missing the brace) curiously though, the SScars have some different bracketry for the front mounting of the lower control arms. there are 2 holes (for a choice of arm angle) on each bracket. the 283 impala has only one hole (no choice) like most other X frames i have seen.

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob Jr., My late (april) SL L80 is configured the same as your Baltimore 425.

B

bowtieollie

Fran Preve said:
As a "newbie" I guess I'll have to "rattle some bones" over there!.

I suggest you read the Members Agreement carefully. Anything out of line will not be tolerated.

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In 63 the dash tach was standard with ALL 409s as well as the 300/327. It was OPTIONAL on all cars.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not sure about the 340/409 but the 300/327 only came standard with a tach if you ordered a 4 speed also.

SteveD