Vincent Fiala Z11 tribute "Bad News" build.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Randy,
Thanks for the compliment! I actually don't have much of a background other then doing some restoration for family and friends, etc. I just enjoy doing it.

I've found that with these old photos if you adjust the red, green, blue color input levels individually to eliminate any area of the graph that shows no color input you begin to get close.

View attachment 103941

With this picture I then went into the color curves manager and, again, adjusted the red, green, blue curves individually to add or remove color as needed. I pulled out red and added a little green and blue.

View attachment 103942

Last the white was a little too bright so went into brightness&contrast to darken the image a little.
Well you did good. Sometimes having the ability to do anything to a photo is over rated and sticking to the basics is best. If I had the original photos or the even the film then I would be able to do so much more. Thanks again for your effort/help.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Best I can tell this is Vincent's engine. I've been trying to figure out if there are any identifying markers or items in the picture that would identify it as such. Mark provided me with this and I have no doubt he is correct. Just trying to confirm any information I get before I spend the money on making my engine in the tribute look like this. Ok boys pick it apart. What can you tell me about this engine? Any reason for the painted fan shroud with aluminum rivets? Does the 13 on the radiator mean anything? What is the box under the air cleaner tubes on the firewall? Placement of the breathers on the valve covers is a little different. Anyone have some like this? Not sure what was being done in this photo but there is a spark plug up on the cowl. Looks like a magneto to me but I can't tell. I never paid attention to the throttle linkage being progressive before either. Thanks for any input! None of the magazines I have with Vincent's car in it have an engine photo in them.
132510107_3747747858611481_2704493403755594910_n.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
position of box….??? Seems to be in position to support induction tubing…going from oval to round at clamp, tube probably wants to hang….. droop and rip….. valve cover venting and pcv……??? Fairly large tube maybe he runs that back also as a road draft

Last edited:

409envy

Well Known Member
Just my 2 cents but the distributor looks like a Mallory mag spark. Yes all fan shrouds were aluminum, only explanation I can think of was they were painted then riveted together. Hayden's radiator also had the 13 stamped on it but was on the left side of the filler. Im thinking the box on the fire wall is the transformer for the mag spark distributor. Here is the best picture I could find with both units, this is for the Ford FE application but you get the idea. Good luck!
s-l640.jpgIMG_1910.JPG

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just my 2 cents but the distributor looks like a Mallory mag spark. Yes all fan shrouds were aluminum, only explanation I can think of was they were painted then riveted together. Hayden's radiator also had the 13 stamped on it but was on the left side of the filler. Im thinking the box on the fire wall is the transformer for the mag spark distributor. Here is the best picture I could find with both units, this is for the Ford FE application but you get the idea. Good luck!
View attachment 104819View attachment 104820
Wow, very cool! Never seen such a thing before. He did tell me he ran a mag but I have no idea what kind. I'll be headed back over to his place soon. I'll take him these photos and find more and see if he remembers. That does look the part for sure. Thanks Evan!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I went back in my videos and notes. The radiator was mentioned replaced when we went over the engine photo. I have no idea how or why he would have chosen to run that specific one with the guard around the cap. Not sure if it was possible that is what the car had in it and he just picked up the same style. Probably what he had available or a spare setting around. Cool part is, my 63' already has that style of radiator in it, will need rebuilt though.
20211010_133321.jpg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I myself don’t know anything about that mag spark unit, and I don’t doubt that is an extreme possibility ……..but it seams that the shape underneath those induction tubes looks way too dimensional, symmetrical/rudimentary to be a designed part……But I am usually wrong