Vincent Fiala Z11 tribute "Bad News" build.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I myself don’t know anything about that mag spark unit, and I don’t doubt that is an extreme possibility ……..but it seams that the shape underneath those induction tubes looks way too dimensional, symmetrical/rudimentary to be a designed part……But I am usually wrong
I was thinking it was a box to cover something and a mag spark would fit. Just not sure yet. Vincent will clue me in when I go back over to his place.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Would you be able to colorize the engine like you did the boys and the car? Color might help find lost details
Even contrast and shadow adjustment can only do so much. The main thing is getting more eyes on the engine to point out any little details I may miss.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With the spark plug out they may have been moving the alternator out of the way to get to the #1 cylinder. I don't know because I have yet to have an alternator that close to the engine. Whole reason I haven't been running a hood until now. Air cleaner is tall too. LOL!
20190710_015155.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would agree but keep in mind a few things. #1. It did pass spec for the test and tune days locally and also the 4 other tracks I have raced at over the last 3 years. Hundreds of cars run down tracks with plastic filters on every year but for me to run for points I would not pass spec. For me to run in any kind of sanctioned event, I would not pass spec. I understand everyone has had different experiences with running plastic filters and hate the idea, but in reality, they do what is expected of them. Its when you expect too much that they fail (as with any part). I'm not advocating for plastic filters to be run at the track at all, so you understand. But running these filters for the last 30 years has lead me to believe that not everyone should have them. I also have a plastic oil pressure line on this car which again for the same reasons stated before hasn't been a problem. Now that the little motor is out and the big motor is going in, I have a special billet filter to run with higher performance lines. My daily drivers all have plastic filters in them too and I have yet to have any issue with any of them in the last 30 years. Either way, its kind of like oil canisters vs spin on filters. Everyone has an opinion on those too and I encourage everyone to run what they like with an eye toward safety. If you can't be safe with any piece of equipment, it doesn't matter what the part is. DOT says I'll be fine and every track for the last 4 years has given me the green light on the filter. They actually had a bigger issue with the bottom part of my fuel line going to the filter was 1' rubber. That will be resolved as well with more hard line. It is a work in progress. ;)

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Found 2 more photos of Vincent racing this weekend. Of his Mopar but I'll take any I can find since he doesn't have but a hand full of either his Z11 or his 64 Mopar. This is at Cordova, not sure who's Mopar he was racing but it looks like he either got the whole shot or was given a bye run. Either way, first and only photos of Vincent lined up and launching in this car. I now have 7 photos of his Mopar and 22 of his Z11 to date.
333555826_210572201492533_893232321002233613_n.jpg
Found on Facebook post by.jpg

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Best I can tell this is Vincent's engine. I've been trying to figure out if there are any identifying markers or items in the picture that would identify it as such. Mark provided me with this and I have no doubt he is correct. Just trying to confirm any information I get before I spend the money on making my engine in the tribute look like this. Ok boys pick it apart. What can you tell me about this engine? Any reason for the painted fan shroud with aluminum rivets? Does the 13 on the radiator mean anything? What is the box under the air cleaner tubes on the firewall? Placement of the breathers on the valve covers is a little different. Anyone have some like this? Not sure what was being done in this photo but there is a spark plug up on the cowl. Looks like a magneto to me but I can't tell. I never paid attention to the throttle linkage being progressive before either. Thanks for any input! None of the magazines I have with Vincent's car in it have an engine photo in them.
View attachment 104806
Breathers like to be on a flat surface. I'd think his cold air ducts would be in the way if they were in the middle of the valve cover.
Nice big alternator pulley. I used Moroso. That looks like GM. Z-28's came with one about that big. Now the "13" hippy code foe Mary Jah Wanna?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wow, very cool! Never seen such a thing before. He did tell me he ran a mag but I have no idea what kind. I'll be headed back over to his place soon. I'll take him these photos and find more and see if he remembers. That does look the part for sure. Thanks Evan!
If you needed to find a mag, a BBC or SBC would be easier to find and you would just need to make an adapter. They probably didn't sell many for a W. Closest I have is a Double life. 2 points, a 4 lobe cam. they run at half speed, alternating points.

Reactions: 327

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
But they will sell you a metal one just as they sell you the plastic one.
I'm sure there are inspectors that do their job. I don't like to run unsafe items. I don't think puttind an SFI tag on my Lakewood scattersheild make the car any safer. They will let you run a 55 year old factory seat belt but flag you if your 5 point harness is 6 months past the date.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Found another "Bad News" Chevy. This one is a 1964 two door sedan Belair like the one in my garage. Known as "Bad News Too" and being a gasser is pretty cool. Notice anything special about the front? Not sure why anyone would want to stuff a 1963 Chevy front bumper on the gasser but I'm following up on any leads I get from the number of photographers and racers I've talked with.
Anyone here know more about this car or driver Gary Oswald or Gary Brown the mechanic from Wisconsin?
View attachment 102796
Gary Oswald is still around. Gary Brown was an engine builder Oz got heavy into turbo GN's and Syclones for a good while. They were both suburban Chicago.