W motor engine mounts for 2nd-gen Camaro subframe in my '58 Apache

Tim3927

I am in the process of building a '58 Apache with a F body subframe welded in. I've set it up with the intention of originally putting in a small block Chevy, but using a 348" from my coleection is much more appealing.

I have clamshell type mounts, with new Energy Suspension inserts in the frame-mounted portion. I bolted the other portion of the mounts to the 348" engine casting and test-fitted: the bolt holes of the sbc clamshells are approximately 1" too wide for the mounts to line up.

Is there a clamshell-type mount made for the 348/409 that would work with the frame mounts I have? I've seen the interlocking-style mounts, but I'd like to utilize those Energy Suspension pieces if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any and all input.

Tim

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure what a F body is or a clam shell mount?:dunno but the motor mounts for early SBC or BBC should work.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
those are the same mounts used on C10 I believe. I don't understand why they are not fitting...:dunno Did you by chance try a test fit with SBC?

348_test_fit_with_sbc_clamshell.JPG

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are those aftermarket clam shells or OEM GM? If they are aftermarket then I think that may be your issue.

Tim3927

Thanks for thinking about it, Dan. The only thing I could come up with was the unique rod angle of the W engine. I may be pushing the mounting pads out wider than a sbc or a 396/402/427/454 big block, requiring a unique mount.

Again, thanks for the input.

TIM

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for thinking about it, Dan. The only thing I could come up with was the unique rod angle of the W engine. I may be pushing the mounting pads out wider than a sbc or a 396/402/427/454 big block, requiring a unique mount.

Again, thanks for the input.

TIM
In any of the X frame cars All the V8's use the same mounts. It does not matter if it is a SB BB or W. The rod angel is the same a BBC. Many of us are using BBC cranks.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The only thing that comes to mind here would be to drill new holes in the frame to place the lower mounts so the clamshells wil work.I had thought about that kind of mount for my swap[Malibu,Camero,or S-10],but had assumed this would line up.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The only thing that comes to mind here would be to drill new holes in the frame to place the lower mounts so the clamshells wil work.I had thought about that kind of mount for my swap[Malibu,Camero,or S-10],but had assumed this would line up.
Don, Yes you could see that looks like a solution but if a SBC bolts up then why not a W?:dunno

Tim3927

Thanks for trying to figure this out, guys.

Regarding the rod angle for W motors, I thought the angle of the two opposing rods (1 to 2, 3 to 4, etc.) was greater on the 348/409. A sbc or a Mark II and later bbc had a narrower angle between its opposing rod pairs.

This could, based on that assumption, account for the clamshell I have being pushed out further past the mounting pad and not lining up because the engine block of a W motor is physically wider than the other Chevy V8s. That's why I was thinking there may be a different clamshell to take care of the difference - with a different hole location (or possibly a different mounting pad).

I think I need a beverage...:bang:beer

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Tim

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
68 Camaro used different stands for L6, SBC, and BBC.
If your subframe is Gen II, they probably used different clamshells for the diferent engines. I know the C-10's did.
I can check the part numbers in my parts catalog to see which ones are correct, but are you sure your subframe wasn't drilled for a 6?