w motor in pick ups

blown55409

Well Known Member
Anyone have any Idea how many w motors were installed as original equipment in pick ups (if any) in these years. I'm thinking about a tow truck or maybe a 4wd project. It's funny I have always liked the 55 to 59s but thought the 60 to 65s were butt ugly, now I think they're cool.
very best regards
Chip

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
I wonder how many members here have put W engines in pickups????
I will take claim for the neatest instalation in my 56 pickup..:D

Many times I would wager...
Did mine in 1989... all factory mounts, linkage, ect, with a set of headers that I built for it.
Factory 9380 1 ton dually, stock 4 speed trans, 4.10's in the original rear ( had 5.14's:eek: ).
All day, pulling the car trailer, 70 MPH ( and some if you need it;) )

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Many times I would wager...
Did mine in 1989... all factory mounts, linkage, ect, with a set of headers that I built for it.
Factory 9380 1 ton dually, stock 4 speed trans, 4.10's in the original rear ( had 5.14's:eek: ).
All day, pulling the car trailer, 70 MPH ( and some if you need it;) )
Aubrey, That is one cool rig..:cool: :cool: 59' Gimmy isn't it?

Well Known Member
Howdy chip, tom m " Doorsslammer".Hows the 55 doin?I put and AOD and wurth rack in the 57 wagon.Get's 20mpg now,drives great! Stop in sometime. tom

blown55409

Well Known Member
Hi Tom
Sounds like your 57 is a long distance cruiser now, way to go.
The 55 is in storage now. Last time out I took my wife and her girl friend on a spin and got on it hard going up hill about 90 in second and let off, the front came down hard and ground my 8 qt. pan into the asphalt, now it is weeping around the drain bung. If I can't fix it in place I'll have to pull the motor, again:cuss , Oh well, it looks like I'll be spending $$$$.$$ on a T400 that can hold the power any way.
Take care
Chip

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
409 Pick Up

There was a member of the old chat board, the one at yahoo, I think, that had a dealer installed truck 409 (I think) in a 1/2 ton 65 short box (fleet side). He claimed it was original. His name was Nasty1Ca. I think he lives in Canada. The truck, I believe, was originally from Texas. He posted some great photos of the restoration. Anyone else remember that truck?
Ross

That was Marv Bookman, in Ontario.
I saw the truck personally, in 1992. Yes, it was VERY serious:brow

I think it's a completer dealer installed package, using a truck 409, but it has car water pump, distributor, brackets, ect.
Pretty cool to say the least.

Oh, he did sell the truck a couple years ago.

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
I wonder how many members here have put W engines in pickups????
I will take claim for the neatest instalation in my 56 pickup..:D
Didn't put one in, but I took one OUT of a '63 Chev 1/2 ton that had a '59 348 in it. I'm restoring a '59 El Camino so it fit right in although the EC originally came with a 283.

Jack

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Maybe?

I once looked at an early 1960s Chevy pickup, possibly a 61 (but not later) that had a 348 in it. It was about 5 years ago. Guy was thinking of selling it then changed his mind. Probably not original? But it did look like it was in there for decades...

TomK