Watts linkage on X frame

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,
Just looking at the panhard bar setup on my 61 and wondered if anyone had installed a watts linkage on these rears to eliminate the left to right movement of the rearend under suspension travel?:dunno

Steve

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Ive often wondered the same thing. Pretty much gonna have to be custom fabbed and would elminate the use of coil overs, as far as i can tell. A friend fabbed a watts link in a 3rd gen camaro years ago for a road race type set-up. I think a panhard bar probably works best for most of use (drag use).

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A wishbone would be much easier and cheaper, but I think the panhard bar is fine for everything but the lowrider crowd and most of them still use it too. The watts link would be nice if you were autocrossing, but who'd do that with an X-frame? Besides, look how good 82-02 Camaros and Firebirds handle and they have a panhard rod.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I think it has its place, especially when you guys are fitting tires under the rear very close to the fender seams it would stop that bit of movement and stop the side walls touching etc
I guess if you keep it at original ride height and dont go to close to the sides with the tires

Steve

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Steve.................aren't you behind at work and need to get caught up???? Stop the BS here and keep your nose to the grindstone and all that sort of carryon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh..............but keep the PM's comin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
PM'd:D
Steve.................aren't you behind at work and need to get caught up???? Stop the BS here and keep your nose to the grindstone and all that sort of carryon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh..............but keep the PM's comin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will do
Lunch time now

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
DSCN2102.jpg DSCN2110.jpg DSCN2111.jpg Look up 1963 pro tour impala "lilbuzzy" in build section.

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Panhard is fine as long as it's long and level. The movement is minimal. Auto x and road course is different because the watts link cures problems that don't have anything to do with side to side. In my not so humble opinion if you need a watts link to eliminate tire rub, you need more clearance.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think it has its place, especially when you guys are fitting tires under the rear very close to the fender seams it would stop that bit of movement and stop the side walls touching etc
I guess if you keep it at original ride height and dont go to close to the sides with the tires

Steve

Hell, I just thought the fender was supposed to hit the tire to keep the damn thing centered???? I got rid of the Goodyear slicks and went with M/T to cure my problem............

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Look up 1963 pro tour impala "lilbuzzy" in build section.

I see what you did there... I had the idea of the watts connecting to the axle in the center and to the frame on the outside. And only 1 upper arm becauase the watts takes care of side to side movement and the upper has no strain on it other than to locate pinion angle?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
PT Cruiser and Ford LTD have a factory setup that looks easy to adapt and sell new on Ebay pretty cheap.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A wishbone would be much easier and cheaper, but I think the panhard bar is fine for everything but the lowrider crowd and most of them still use it too. The watts link would be nice if you were autocrossing, but who'd do that with an X-frame? Besides, look how good 82-02 Camaros and Firebirds handle and they have a panhard rod.
I want to try autocrossing with an X-frame, but I put a Jag IRS in the rear to take the corners. Give me a few years and I'll let you know how it goes.