Weiand 8004 + What Carb?

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
It's a stock late 1970s 350, no idea about cam, compression, or even carburation. It has the original 283 2-barrel intake and nasty, plug-fouling, needs to be junked Rochester 2jet.

So, with a Weiand 8004, what carb? Think (reasonable) economy here, as the performance is going to be considerably better no matter what, but you know those gas prices.

Many thanks!

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
Thanks for the prompt reply. I had considered the Edelbrock 1403 (500 cfm, performance calibrated) or the Edelbrock 1400 (600 cfm, economy calibrated).

Difference between 1400 and 1406???

Is this the relevant info on the page you linked?:

"Installation: Square bore carburetors may require plate P/N 9006 to seal properly. HEI will clear. Thermostat spacer, P/N 17-58 may be required."

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SO confusing!

Yep,,, but ,,, those site sre mostly taking about performance engines, like the first link.

That guy that could not get his Edelbrock to run right just did not tune it right.

A better carb for him would have been the AVS as it can be fine tuned quickly to eliminate the bog.

In your case you are running a stock engine and the Edelbrock should be fine right out of the box with very little tuning.
Q-Jets do run great if they are in new condition but most need a complete rebuild including bushing of the throttle blade shafts.

If I were you and had the money I would change to a square bore manifold and go with the AVS (#1) or the 1406 (#2).

The difference between the 1400 and 1406 is the 1400 is the smog (EGR) carb.
I would go with the 1406.

I also disagree that the Edelbrock is not an econo or performance carb.
Yes,, most will say the Holley is the better race carb.

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
If I were you and had the money I would change to a square bore manifold and go with the AVS (#1) or the 1406 (#2)..

The AVS why? Easier to tune? Any other advantages over the Edelbrock?

And why do you recommend a new intake, and not just the Weiand with this:

"Installation: Square bore carburetors may require plate P/N 9006 to seal properly."

If I run either carb above with the adapter, what are the odds of running into 'issues' that another intake would avoid?

I really appreciate your taking the time for this, BTW.

Cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The AVS why? Easier to tune? Any other advantages over the Edelbrock?

And why do you recommend a new intake, and not just the Weiand with this:
"Installation: Square bore carburetors may require plate P/N 9006 to seal properly."

If I run either carb above with the adapter, what are the odds of running into 'issues' that another intake would avoid?

I really appreciate your taking the time for this, BTW.

Cheers

AVS is an Edelbrock carb. They look the same on the outside but have better a fuel delivery system, similar but different, but the biggest plus is adjustable secondaries!!
Only takes literally a second or two to adjust without removing any parts.
Screw adjustment.

The adapter will work, I just believe a manifold that is designed for the spread bore should use a spread bore and visa versa.
I don`t know if it makes any difference performance wise though, just an anal thing/thought of mine.

You have the manifold so I would say use it.

EDIT: I was just reading about the smaller AVS 650CFM and was suprized to see it is a spread bore !
Read here:
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/induction_poweradders/0501sc_edelbrock_carburetor/index.html

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
I checked the link, and did some research, and MAN are the AVS carbs expensive: a 18064 is half again as much as a 1406 (approx. $450 to $320). Aside from the tuning, are they THAT much better?

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I checked the link, and did some research, and MAN are the AVS carbs expensive: a 18064 is half again as much as a 1406 (approx. $450 to $320). Aside from the tuning, are they THAT much better?

No, and yes !!??
For your application I don`t see anything wrong with going with the 1406.
From what you have said, this is going on a stock 350.

Ask around and you might find a good used one. Around here you can find them for about $100.
There are plenty on Ebay:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/1406-Edelbrock_W0QQ_nkwZ1406Q20Edelbrock

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carter made the AVS originally but I think it was only used briefly on Chevy in 67 on the 275hp 327's in the Chevy II/Nova, Chevelle and fullsize. They show up on ebay in rebuilable condition sometimes even at reasonable price. I bought one last year for about $35.

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
The Edelbrock 1406 it is, then. I am expecting quite an improvement in performance for certain, and in economy, too. As I mentioned, the Rochester 2jet is a foul-running, black splattering old beast.

Thanks to you for your advice.
I was close to right, but was leaning towards the 1403 (500cfm).

Cheers
SoT

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
SoT: Summit sells an 1850S Holley 4 barrel. It's a 600cfm with a mechanical choke and it only costs $ 244.00.:doh I have used these carbs in the past, and they are pretty much, plug and play.:clap Just another choice. Skip:)

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
If you want a Holley, I have a 4160C w/electric choke that I bolted on the car for about 20 minutes thinking the carb was my problem, but turned out to be a bad cam. Got it at Autozone. Will sell for 200.00 shipped to Austin.

Here is the link to it
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP129607...partType,01932/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Thanks, but I think I'm going with the Edelbrock 1406 - unless the tide of this thread turns. I am still somewhat open, and not in a great hurry to do this, so still listening.

Cheers, though, from one Son of Thomp to another!

jr.W

Well Known Member
If economy is what you want and low maintenance get a Q-jet. Eddy has them
brand new so you don't have to use old junk. And they still perform very well.

SonOfThomp

Well Known Member
I thought the conventional wisdom was, more or less, that the QJet was finicky.
Who is Eddy? How much is a new one?

Thanks
SoT

jr.W

Well Known Member
Eddy= short for edelbrock. Q-jets are not that finicky especially if the motor is
fairly tame. It is the most reliable of all the carbs IMO. I think most of the bad
luck people have with Q-jets comes from old wornout carbs. After 100,000 miles
I'd be worn out too. If you look at a old Qjet lots of times the throttle shaft holes
are wornout and the mainbodys get warped over time. But a new one from
edelbrock solves that.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I had read somewhere that Eddy was going to quit offering the QJs?

I have had a couple and loved them...I also have an SMI QJ that is very good and they are custom-tuned to whatever info you give them (pretty close!). Chassis dyno tuning was not much more than playing with secondary rods and hangers.