Welcome to Doug Marion!

Somehow I doubt doug would offer me a copy, anyway.

I was told Chevy got a set and paid $3000, but I never saw the Mystery engine I RESTORED AFTER THEY STOLE IT FROM ME!. Could have been two sets?. Anyway, if the engine now has them I don't know where they got them.

To build a TRUE Mark II mystery engine, and do a TRUE "as it was in the car in 1963" dyno test you MUST have those manifolds. Then all you need is a TRUE Z-11 engine with a single 4 to compare it to. Each engine has positives and negatives in a comparison. The Mark II was a really interesting engine, a light weight, 7/8ths scale Mark IV, all it needed was 4 bolt mains and better rods. The ones I saw at Smokey's were all ground down, lightened, maybe that's why they were the weak point.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dying to ask....

Fran:

I might have missed this in a previous post, but what actually happened with you and that Mystery Motor rebuild? It appears to be a sore subject (I've got a few myself, but I've used the 24 hour rule...).

Hope I didn't conjure up bad Voodoo :)

Cheers,
TomK

Billy Howell, well know GM performance engineer sent me (the Tonawanda Engine plant) a ZL-1 and "Mystery" motor for our "historical" display which I was in charge of. I built the ZL-1 as a Camaro engine,a hot shot Ahole engineer at the plant wanted it as a Vette. I won. For a while. It's now in the Corvette museum, as I've been told. You can guess what it's dress as.

I took the "Mystery" engine apart, got out my copy of the Hot Rod magazine from 63 with pictures of it at Daytona and did my best to make it look like it did back then. But I didn't have the exhaust manifolds. GM the took it back (after I literally broke my back restoring it, long story) and (I was told when it happened) bought a set of manifolds at Smokeys auction for $3000 dollars. I wasn't at that auction, I was at the one AFTER that and didn't see any other manifolds then.

The big shots at GM engineering muscled me out of MY motor!. But then how much "horsepower" does an hourly have. And everything I did I did on MY BREAKS, never got paid extra for it. Long story. But I have letters baacking up everything I just related, almost everything I say I can back up with written records.

PS: As things turned out all my efforts weren't for naught, some of the other engines I restored went to Michigan (W blocks) and as things turned out at the plant that's what was best. Better they're out of Tonawanda.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welcome, Doug!
I just read your story about your 62 SS dual quad Impala. You must have went to the old Parsons College in Fairfield Iowa. I live in Washington Iowa wich is only about 25 mile north of there. Its great to see such a FANTASTIC magazine with cars from the mid-west. Also, great article on Gene Christners Nova. Thats definetly a local car for me!
Ross

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Since it's Doug's birthday......I somehow found this old thread!!!! Thought I'd revive it!!
Bob....to answer your question...........I bought the white 62 bubbletop project car from Doug. Can't remember the year.....probably the late 80's. My youngest daughter rode out to California with me to pick it up. I had it for several years and then sold it to Jerry Bickel of Jerry Bickel race cars fame. Jerry completely framed off the car...white with red interior...it was gorgeous!!! He added a Z-11 top half from Curt Harvey and I think even aluminum fenders. Don't remember how long Jerry kept it but finally a guy came along with lots of money and bought it. And then he later sold it. I don't have any idea where it is today.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
In reading this thread again.....I was at Smokey's second auction and didn't even know Fran was there!!!! But there weren't any mystery motor manifolds at the auction!!

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
1984 While I was stationed at fort hood, There was a super chevy sunday going on at green valley dragway in the dallas ft worth area.I was sitting the bleachers when I saw Doug walking by, so I ran down and said , I don't have anything to say I just wanted to meet you and shake your hand. We shook hands and went back to the show. The early 80s super chevy articles and Dougs stories made me wish I was 20 yrs old in 62!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
1984 While I was stationed at fort hood, There was a super chevy sunday going on at green valley dragway in the dallas ft worth area.I was sitting the bleachers when I saw Doug walking by, so I ran down and said , I don't have anything to say I just wanted to meet you and shake your hand. We shook hands and went back to the show. The early 80s super chevy articles and Dougs stories made me wish I was 20 yrs old in 62!
I was at the Green Valley drag strip that year too!!!! Think I went two years and then it was moved to Ennis.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Dang Phil, I was there too......why dincha say hi?

BTW, I often wondered what happened to Doug's 62. Thanks for that info.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
1984? Ahhhh Green Valley. My daughter tripped and bumped her head on Jim Jones LF aluminum fender, right behind the wheel well (the other car).

Thought I was gonna die.....