West Coast 409 shootout?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hope to have my 65 running good enough by then to attend will most likely have many more questions for help with before I feel comfortable driving that far and back, but I'am an optimist! Pat

Pat, my '61 had about 300 miles on it since I put it together last year ........ then I drove it to Thompson & back.......... your car will do it !! ............. and there will be a trailer on the highway somewhere......... (as long as I don't break something)

Dave

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Hi Pat. We are glad to have you join us so ask away. We will be glad to help with anything you have questions about. I know quite a few fellows in the Portland area and throught the Willamett Valley who you can talk to. I'm over on the coast near Pacific City.

Paul

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thompson

Mike & Bill, you guys will need to give me a 3 second head start this year with that 348 trying to pull that 4000 lb. barge of a 60 down the track!!

Lonnie

Fiftiesman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Would three be a crowd?

Pat,

Maybe we can link up for the trip over, that way we both have company on the drive.

Bill

Bill, I'd like to throw my hat in and join you and Pat for the "ride over". I always enjoy company on a road trip. Would that be possible?

Mike

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK,,, been lurkin````
I would love to go,, but still have to get the 62 running and figure out that noise,, then fix it.
This economy is killing me,,,wallet wise,,
Here it is January and being in the heating oil business I should be busier then a one legged dog in and a** chewing contest but we are struggling to find work and are cutting back to 4 days a week with half the crew we had two years ago,,
Looking for a different job this spring,,

so,, put me down as a long shot,,
If nothing else I be in the grandstands again,,:cry

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Hey Jim glad to hear from you. I hope you can get your '62 together to join us in Eureka, CA. If not you can bring the hot dogs. :cool:

I will be calling Danny at the dragstrip to let him know we are bringing a number of W-motor cars.

Paul

blown55409

Well Known Member
Hey Paul, Put me Down for a definite maybe LOL. Seriously after 2&1/2 years of a house remodel now completed, I have a few things to catch up on like the massive water leak comming from the bell housing area on the 409. It hasn't ran in two years and I can hardly remember what it was like to drive it. Hoping it is just a soft plug. Why does it have to be the most inaccessable one possible? Oh well, if a $2 part fixes it I guess I shouldn't complain.
Best regards
Chip

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Hey Hey Chip glad to hear from you. I'll put you down. :cool:

Oh, and the answer is wild and fast that's what I remember of the '55 going down the track. It's a beautiful car and a blown 409 to boot.

Paul

buickbob

Supporting Member 1
proper tranny for a 425 hp 409

greetings, can any of you learned gentleman tell me what is the right 4 spd tranny for a 64 impala ss with a 409/425 hp that will not be a race car ?thanks buickbob:takethat:doh:doh:coffee:

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey buickbob, welcome to the zoo......... you need to put your question as a new post in the car or engine section.......... not in the middle of a thread about something else.

Someone will answer your question for sure, but they won't find it in a thread about a 409 shoot out. You also need to tell what year of 409 car, they had different transmissions.

Dave

S

Swiss Impala

Power team combinations 1964 for 409/425 hp (L80)

Muncie M21 (2.20:1) was available with 3.36:1, 4.11:1 or 4.56:1 axle ratio.
4.11:1 and 4.56:1 available as positraction axle only.

Muncie M20 (2.56:1) was available with 3.36:1 or 3.08:1 axle ratio.
3.36:1 available as positraction axle only.

For a not race car M20 + 3.08:1 would be okay. It means about 2350 rpm
@ 60 mph with 215/75 R 14 tires in 4th gear.

Franz

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
west coast 409 shootout

Bill, Dave, Paul, Sorry guy's for the slow responce but a caravan for the shootout would be fun,I'll do my best to be ready, might not race but would love to go, Thank's Pat:clap

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As things get closer, we'll have to lock in some plans. Best route for us would be across Oregon, but we can make a detour to Portland for a link up site.

Bill

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm sure we can meet you guys in Portland or there abouts for the 409 convoy........

Dave

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Hey if you guys would swing thru St. Louis, I'll go with ya:crazy :D

Ken.........................................

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ken,

We'll link up with you in June at Thompson Raceway Park.... You can come back to Idaho for a while and then on to Cal... :roll:roll:roll

Bill

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ken,

We'll link up with you in June at Thompson Raceway Park.... You can come back to Idaho for a while and then on to Cal... :roll:roll:roll

Bill

Bill: That sounds good to me. Maybe I'll do that! I,ve never been to California. :coffee:If I dont get off my A$$ and get a motor together and back in my 63 I'll never make the Thompson shootout either.:cuss
Ken.............

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm currently developing a plan to attend the Classic Chevy Convention in Springfield, MO the week after Thompson. That might bring us closer to you ? Have to figure out if I can take three weeks in a row, off work !!! :crazy

Bill