West Coast Mini Convention

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Alright, it's time for us on the West Coast to get together for some fun. Norwalk sounds like it's going to be a blast and I'm jealous I can't attend. :cuss We need our own Norwalk type event here in the West. I've looked at the different track events in CA, WA, ID, and OR and the only advertised events that would encompass a wide range of racing vehicles is a Woodburn Dragstrip in Woodburn, OR.

The first event is the Oldies But Goodies, June 25 & 26. It is limited to 1965 and older cars. It also has some very good feature categories, Top Eliminator Dragsters, AA/Supercharged coupes and Pro Nostalgia. It is a great event. The weather can still be a little iffy this time of year in Oregon.

The second event is the Hot Rod Nationals, August 13 & 14. It is limited to 1970 and older cars and is basicly the same as the Oldies but Goodies. Always good weather this time of year, maybe.

Woodburn Dragstrip, www.woodburndragstrip.com is a great 1/4 mile track with plenty of camping and ammenities. It is right off I-5 with lots of motels in the area.

Lets see how many 409 we can get together for some West Coast racing. :hug

Paul

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
West Coast Members

What's wrong with the West Cost Members :dunno I don't see much responce to this Thread for a Mini Convention in the West Coast Convention :dunno
Paul,you need dq to get on line and kick some A$$ and get these west cost members to wake up and smell the coffee and start to respond :D

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I would really like to come, but I have been waiting for over a year to get my car painted. He just finished the 69 Camaro restoration yesterday (was supposed to be done a year ago) and mine is next. Mine was supposed to be done for the KC convention, but that did not happen. I had to take it looking bad. Anyway, if he calls, I want to get it there as soon as I can. So, I can't commit to Woodburn.

It sound like the August date would be best considering weather, but that is pretty much out for me. That is harvest time here. And since my paycheck only comes once a year, that is first priority. It is always a race to get the crop in the bin and beat the weather.

But if I can get away, I will try to come without the Impala. Maybe bring some Montana made beer. :) Maybe "Moose Drool" or " Pig A$$ Porter" :cheers
Ron

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Ron you can bring any flavor of grog you want you are very welcome to join us. There is a fellow from Montana name Dave with a 58 DelRay that comes to both events at Woodburn every year. It doesn't have a W motor but he always parks with us at the track. You are right about August being the best chance for good weather.

Jim, you're right where are all the West Coast members? I've been going through the members list compiling names to send emails to. There are quite a few. I'll keep hammering away at this event\

Paul

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
the west coast definitly needs something going on, look forward to the day!!! My ride still needs alot of work and most of my free time right now but next summer I'm hoping to get it in some of the local shows. goodguys stuff. they have a get together in pleasanton ,Ca., or better yet the Nitro Nationals @ Infinion Drag Strip ( formerly Sears Point) a low key Nostalgia Drag event with a show and shine, I would make the drive to soggy Wash. If the west Coast Convention was to happen up there though..

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for your thought Bigbad60. :clap I agree with you that the West Coast needs to get something going that why I started this thread. California good tracks and great weather for gathering our masses to. Goodguy events are good but they have a 12.99 minimum time rule so that may hold a lot of racers back who have 13 and 14 second cars. :dunno But I'm with you where ever we agree to meet I'll be there. :beerbang

Paul

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
I'll try to get there with my '59 Elky, but can't promise anything. Still trying to get the 348 into the car. Seems like every time I turn around there is another small problem or thing that needs to be addressed. Sheesh! (I can still make it in my '72 though, even if it doesn't fit in the years you mention above)

There is also a drag strip here in Central Oregon in Madras, about 45 minutes north of me.

A friend in Portland is wanting to go "cruizin" as soon as I get on the road (he has a '56 T-Bird). Maybe I can get him to one of these as well.

Jack

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Good to hear from you Jack. I'm thinking that we should get together at the Hot Rod Nationals in August. It would be great if you had your elcy ready by then but if not come on over and meet the gang.

I'm going to try and run at the nostalgia race at Madras in September ( I think it's in Septermber). I've got family in Bend that want to see the car race but they can never make it to this side of the mountains.

There is a '62 bubble top in Madras with a 409 ownd by a guy named Ralph. He use to race a Woodburn every year but I haven't seen him in quite awhile. Have you ever seen the car?

Paul

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
Paul, please remind me of the August function again later. I'd love to get over for it but work keeps me way too busy in the summer.

I'm involved with refurbishing all the bridges in Oregon (I'm sure you've been in a traffic slowdown somewhere because of that) and will be major busy with that for at least the next 5 years. Summer is the season for construction so I don't have a whole lot of time. What time I know is available is nearly spoken for already this summer.

I believe there is a Swap Meet in Redmond (at the Fairgrounds) the same weekend as the race you mention in Madras. We can maybe hookup here, too.

Jack

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Jack, I'll keep you posted of the Hot Rod Nationals at Woodburn.
Boy do I know about all the bridge work. They're really doing a lot here in South Tillamook County with not only the bridges but repaving Highway 101. We own a garbage business and our trucks have been stuck in traffic since last fall. :bang

Paul

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
I got the 348 in the elky today. Of course there's still a lot to do before it's on the road. Still waiting on the new fuel line to arrive, need to do some exhaust work, new shocks, etc., etc.

Jack

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Just a Reminder

For those that are interested Woodburn dragstrip's "Oldies But Goodies" is coming up on June 25 and 26. This is always a great event. Saturday is practice for everyone and qualifing for the AA/Supercharged Gassers. Practice again Sunday morning and eliminations start at noon.

There will be two 409s for sure and three if dq is able. :dunno

Norwalk looked like a blast and I wish I could have attended. :cheers
But maybe between this event and the "Hot Rod Nationals" in August we can get a strong showing here of 348s and 409s.

I look forward to seeing and meeting all those who attend. :hug

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the head's up. I've got it in my calendar but still don't know if I can make it.

AND my El Camino is still not on the road (see the postings in "Is There a Secret to This?" in the 348-409 Engines forum.

Not only did the fuel lines not fit, but I discovered that my gas tank had pin hole leaks (just picked it up today after repair).

Sheesh..... what next?

Jack

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Yeah, I've been reading about the fuel line problems. It sounds like you have it handled now. I hope you can come over the mountains for one of the two events at Woodburn this year I would like to meet you and see the el camino. I saw that Madras has a nostalgia race Sep 24 and 25. I plan on going to that providing the pass doesn't get an early snow that weekend.

Paul

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jack. I feel your pain. Before the convention I broke the Z-bar for the throttle. I never knew that part could break. Then I lost my good headers. Strange stuff can happen when you're doin' a thrash. Bob

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
Well ..... I drove my car ('59 El Camino) last Thursday for the first time! Too cool!

Before I can take it much further I have to get it licensed, put an exhaust on it, and a couple other small things.

Pop the hood and it's a beautiful, new 348, the rest of the car is still a rust bucket. I guess I should post a picture.... at least of the engine.

Jack

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jack, congratulations on that 1st ride. We always like pictures. Good luck on many more rides in the Elky.

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Celebration Time

Congrats.....please post those pics...let's see the whole car ..a little rust never scared any of us...Be proud Drive loud.... :cheers Tim