What’s your guess on the trucks of the future.

bobs409

Administrator
I just heard at a seminar last month that if we all drove electric cars right now, it would increase our electric usage by 30 percent.

It would cut down on driving your classics and antiques too because when the new cars no longer use gasoline, guess what happens? What would the value of our cars be if there was no gas to drive them anymore???

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
There is Always a shortage, of some kind.:doh Everyone depends on gasoline, shortage of oil.:rolleyes Switch to electricity, then that will be the shortage.:dunnoEvery other month, we get a Friendly reminder, from National Gird, that tells us, " we are using 46% to 55% more energy, than our thrifty neighbors. ":dunno2 We know a person, that lives in a Trailer. His energy bill, for Dec. was $ 95.00. He was told, he uses 30% more, than his thrifty neighbors.:rollBig Brother, wants everyone, to live in fear.:hide

Clint

Well Known Member
There is Always a shortage, of some kind.:doh Everyone depends on gasoline, shortage of oil.:rolleyes Switch to electricity, then that will be the shortage.:dunnoEvery other month, we get a Friendly reminder, from National Gird, that tells us, " we are using 46% to 55% more energy, than our thrifty neighbors. ":dunno2 We know a person, that lives in a Trailer. His energy bill, for Dec. was $ 95.00. He was told, he uses 30% more, than his thrifty neighbors.:rollBig Brother, wants everyone, to live in fear.:hide
The biggest problem was when they started trading on the market...damn speculaters driving the price!

chuckl

Well Known Member
Energy is neither created nor destroyed. It only changes form. It takes the same amount of energy to power an electric car/truck as it does to power the same car with gas, diesel, hydrogen, corn liquor, etc. To power a car/truck/machinery by electricity, that electricity must first be generated by burning coal, turning water turbines, thermal vents or a shit load of hamsters in a squirrel cage. Nothing is gained, environmentally, by burning coal to produce electricity to run cars. The pollution is still generated, somewhere in the world. You may reduce pollutants at a race track or in the city but, you have not lessened the amount of pollution. At last count, it takes $3.00 (buying, planting, harvesting, running gas/diesel farm engines and distribution of corn/byproducts) to produce $1.00 worth of non-ethanol gas. Smart, huh?

At best, solar and wind generators can produce only 8% of electricity needed for this country. No country, presently, has the electrical grid to produce 100% of it's electricity through non-carbon/fossil fuels. Most of the saber rattling and chest beating comes from the sky-falling, chicken-little politicians who do not understand how energy is produced, maintained and distributed, and at what cost!! But a carbon tax makes them feel like they are doing something special. Thank you Al Gore.

The bottom line is: There is only one way to become even close to 100% carbon-free generating and that is nuclear power. The current head-in-the-sand attitude will not allow this to happen. And the time required to bring a nuclear power plant on line is 20 to 25 years, at best!!

So, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, "economist extraordinaire," don't hold your breath about being carbon-free in your stint in Washington, DC. It ain't gonna happen!! :mad3

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Since we out here were all being good little serfs and buying hybrid and electric cars, the effeminate jerry brown administration decided to raise vehicle tag annual fees to cover the loss of THEIR (?) money in gas taxes. A gas tax increase, which the voters challenged and the state somehow squelched failed in the last election, citing that it was for road and bridge maintenance and improvements. Face it, the politicians and their kind aren't going to fix anything, they just were after more tax money. Another stunt they pulled was to jack up the registration fees on electric vehicles $100.00 a year. Gas taxes, all totaled up, are around 85-90 cents a gallon out here.I believe in energy independence, being off grid and unattachable from big government as much as possible,so solar power isn't a bad scheme, but how do you keep it out of reach of da gummint? It seems they have their hand in energy production pretty far, so they can interfere with total economic,political,and private supply of what we need as well. I heard an old geezer that worked at a dealership I worked at when I was about 21 or 22 say that "the worst enemy the people have is their own big government". I thought he was a bit radical and wild, but the older I got, the more sense he made. He's no doubt been gone a long time by now, so he didn't live to see his opinions become fact. Thomas Jefferson one time was quoted as saying," The government with the power to tax has the power to destroy". He was so right.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That sounds just like what people said about cars when they first hit the streets. Fast forward to now and apply what you just asked and you have your answer. Keep in mind Chevy already has a 600hp electric Copo crate motor concept car. In a new camaro it has done 9sec in the 1/4 mile. Remember "Who would want one?"
Electric vehicles have been around as long as the ICE. Until recently, they haven't had the range or speed needed to compete against the ICE. Now, they're moving from a toy for the rich to more of an every day vehicle. Not all of us have to remember the 1918 Baker Electric to remember fads come and go. I'm sure one day most of will drive one.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
Energy is neither created nor destroyed. It only changes form...

...The pollution is still generated, somewhere in the world. You may reduce pollutants at a race track or in the city but, you have not lessened the amount of pollution.

You can't equate pollution to energy. You are correct in that conservation of energy is physical law. However, there is no such law for the conservation of pollution. Reducing the amount of pollution produced at end Z of the spectrum doesn't mean pollution increased at end A an equal (or more, or less) amount.

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member
You can't equate pollution to energy. You are correct in that conservation of energy is physical law. However, there is no such law for the conservation of pollution. Reducing the amount of pollution produced at end Z of the spectrum doesn't mean pollution increased at end A an equal (or more, or less) amount.

s3Z.gif

Junkman 104

Well Seasoned Member
Can't win an argument with one of those people. Next you will be called racist.

On another note, I went to the local ford dealer to get a part for a job and they had a new Ranger sitting there. 43k price on the sticker.

Last edited:

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Can't win an argument with one of those people. Next you will be called racist.

On another note, I went to the local ford dealer to get a part for a job and they had a new Ranger sitting there. 43k price on the sticker.

I could buy another old car, a shit ton of parts, a "handle" of Captain Morgan, ammo and a 30 pack for the road. Hybrids and electrics (I refer to as "slot cars") are recharged by coal fired power plants back in Balmer hun. Somebody ought to do the math on how much it really costs to operate and maintain a "slot car" especially when it is time to replace the batteries...

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
What will the crooks....I mean politicians do to recoup all that gas tax money ? Will they put an electric meter on your vehicle ? There will have to be a way to get into your wallet.
This crazy state imposed a $100 increase on tags on all electric vehicles to compensate for the loss of "their" taxes on fuel.Who said anything We the People own is in any way shape or form "Theirs?"Time for a revolt.