What do you ride?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ah......the good ole days!!!! 1970 XLCH in 1970 on our trip to Nogales, Mexico!!!!!!!!
Yes sir the GOOD ole days, mine was a 1972 XLCH. We were going to go down to Ensenada for the night and got about half way from Tijuana and decided to turn around as it looked sketchy and everyone was eyeballing us. That was the most comforting feeling when we crossed the border back into the US.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
In 1973 I rode my Sportster to California and back, I got 90 miles to a tank (2.25 gal.) and when I got further west where the stations were few and far between I bought a 2 gallon gas can and bungee corded it on top of my pack.

I have a 98 Buell White Lightning and if I don't beat the crap out of it it delivers around 65 mpg:good but not so much with the Vrod it gets arounf 40 mpg.:thumbdown

Mark

Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well I haven't been on the Buell for a few years, Since I have added a few pounds I would look like the ole monkey on a football and I'll have you know I can't even fit into my assless chaps anymore so when I ride the Vrod I've been thinking about doing it in the buff, the small town I live in would have to start a newspaper just to cover my adventures. I wonder if James would be interested in those chaps.:D

Mark

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This RD I bought about 20 years ago. Back in 73 I was a 16 year old with a R5. I ported it to Daytona race spec according to a magazine article. Ruined most of dad's rat tailed files heating and bending them to do the transfer ports. Had DG chrome pipes. One night on a cycle club ride I passed the local Kawasaki salesman on a KZ 900 then their mechanic on a 750 triple.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5

Doggone Tom your garage is as crowded as my garage with bikes and cars. Your bikes would look almost brand new with a wash & polish. Back in the early 70's the local BSA dealer had a brand new BSA 500 MX I think it was a 72 but it had blue paint where yours is yellow and had twin mufflers on it but they practically gave that bike away nobody wanted it I wish I would have bought it now I think I would look pretty good walking around with a cast on my right leg.:D

Mark

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Doggone Tom your garage is as crowded as my garage with bikes and cars. Your bikes would look almost brand new with a wash & polish. Back in the early 70's the local BSA dealer had a brand new BSA 500 MX I think it was a 72 but it had blue paint where yours is yellow and had twin mufflers on it but they practically gave that bike away nobody wanted it I wish I would have bought it now I think I would look pretty good walking around with a cast on my right leg.:D

Mark
This one is a 73 on the title. The twin cones were the std exhaust. The single race cone is shown as 113 db if I remember right. This bike has about 20 hrs on it. Never raced. The paper Rickman sticker is still on the handlebars. I got it in 1984? Used to ride it some in the evenings just to listen to it. Kick start return spring broke and it took a while to get a new one found. It never did kick back on me.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This one is a 73 on the title. The twin cones were the std exhaust. The single race cone is shown as 113 db if I remember right. This bike has about 20 hrs on it. Never raced. The paper Rickman sticker is still on the handlebars. I got it in 1984? Used to ride it some in the evenings just to listen to it. Kick start return spring broke and it took a while to get a new one found. It never did kick back on me.

My Cousin had a 71 BSA 500 road model it was some real entertainment watching him start that thing he had just about everyone in the Painesville Oh. McDonalds that we stopped at glued to the windows watching him he was quite the spectacle with the back firing through the carb and getting those high leg kicks when it kicked him....yep those were the days for sure.:D

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The bikes i remembered being hard starters were the Harley Sprints.

My 73 Sportster was a real POS to start and that was back when I was less decrepit. My 64 Norton Atlas could be a challenge sometimes I thought I broke my foot on a couple occasions my 64 Matchless G15CS was a good starting bike and my 67 BSA Lightening was the best for starting I've started her before with just my arm.

Mark

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Each kick start Sportster had its own characteristics to start, if you didn't learn it you spent a lot of time kicking your a$$ off especially when you flooded it.

That's for sure. Starting my Knuck is a breeze......if you know the system. One thing that contributed to hard starting old bikes was the idle jet being set too lean. That little tid bit is right in the manual.