What do you ride?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had a 71 Kawi 500 3 cylinder 2 stroke, it outran the 500 honda 4 stroke in 3rd at top end and every other gear the honda was not in sight. Looked like this:
h1a0401.jpg

My brother drove 650 Yamahas several times from PEI to Alberta and back. One trip he went down into the Carolinas and stayed the winter. He also has 4 cyliner Kawis, 1000,1200 4 strokes, but I don't recall anything being faster off the line than the 500 2 stroke.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I had a 73 Kawi 500 Mach3 also. Broke my arm riding down steps on a beer run. Seemed like good idea at the time. That bike ran so freaking hard once hit 2500rpm or so! It accelerated off line faster than my '82 GPz750!! They handled awesome too. I'd like to find another and see how well it handles with modern rubber and 130 wide rear tire. The 90 rear slid then high speed tear wobbled wayyyyy to easily!!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
750 water buffalo, 2012 ultra, Honda Z50 and various mini bikes. The Honda 750 four was a file photo, very close to what I built in the 80's.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 130915950002.jpg
    130915950002.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 34

wristpin

Well Known Member
My brother had never heard of a Suzuki WaterBuffalo. I said i wanted one. He went home and sat in a bar talking to older man. Guy says i have one in garage. Jerome went and bought it for $150 i think it was. Still has it.
Few weeks ago we went riding and he road it. Oil puking from front sprocket area. Finally i said i need to see if i can slow flow. Pulled sprocket cover off and there were 2 bolts that came loose that held in electrical box. Cleaned holes and bolts (laying in little pan area there) and everything was golden.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My brother had never heard of a Suzuki WaterBuffalo. I said i wanted one. He went home and sat in a bar talking to older man. Guy says i have one in garage. Jerome went and bought it for $150 i think it was. Still has it.
Few weeks ago we went riding and he road it. Oil puking from front sprocket area. Finally i said i need to see if i can slow flow. Pulled sprocket cover off and there were 2 bolts that came loose that held in electrical box. Cleaned holes and bolts (laying in little pan area there) and everything was golden.
Dem 750 three's are smoking fast. Pulls as hard in fourth as first.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
A friend of mine, had 3 Suzuki Water Buffalo's. The 72, smoked really bad.:doh His leather Jacket, always smelled like Golden Spectro. :rolleyesAfter a few years, he got fed up, and bought a 74. Metallic Blue. That was an awesome bike.:clap Hardly smoked at all. Suzuki worked hard, to cure the oil problem.:clap Finally, he bought a RED 75. That bike was really fast, not Kawi Fast.:dunno It would sit there idling, and sound like a Hot Chevy. I guess, he got tired of two strokes, and bought, a Limited Edition, 76 Honda Gold Wing.:thud

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A friend of mine, had 3 Suzuki Water Buffalo's. The 72, smoked really bad.:doh His leather Jacket, always smelled like Golden Spectro. :rolleyesAfter a few years, he got fed up, and bought a 74. Metallic Blue. That was an awesome bike.:clap Hardly smoked at all. Suzuki worked hard, to cure the oil problem.:clap Finally, he bought a RED 75. That bike was really fast, not Kawi Fast.:dunno It would sit there idling, and sound like a Hot Chevy. I guess, he got tired of two strokes, and bought, a Limited Edition, 76 Honda Gold Wing.:thud
Yeah, mine is the 72. Used to roll smoke out in a vortex when you had the wick turned up.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:roll I used to kid him, and say H & H, Bill. (Harley and Honda). He always, told me, I was #1:finger

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I had one of those Kaw Triples back in the day (500cc). Damn it was a wheelie machine!!!

Rode another buddies 750 triple and that was even more wicked :).

Best friend had a 1973 350 triple, we once rode from Cleveland, OH to the border of Mexico (Piedras Negras) he on the Kaw and me on the Norton. That was a fun Spring Break 1974!

TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
My late brother,Steve,raced those 750 2 stroke Kaws.He won several motor cycle racing awards,a lot of bracket races,and at one time,held the record for the quickest and fastest 750 triple in the world.I think that he was in the low 8's or high 7's in the quarter.He was one of the first to figure out nitros on a two stroke bike.

wristpin

Well Known Member
If anyone knows of a Norton for sale...whole or basket or just parts...let me know.
My brother has a '73 or '74 850 Commando.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Back in the day, 62 maybe 63, I would hang around the Norton dealership in Erie Pa. on Upper State St. genealy making a pest of myself. I remember a Big Norton commando, I think a 750? Whenever the staff, you know what they called staff at a Norton dealership, couple of guys in white tee shirts with greasy hair, wasn't looking I would climb on that bike. First bike I ever saw with a center stand. First time I swung my leg over that Norton the center stand went over center to the back tire and I almost shit my pants. The guys just roared. Good times.