What's going on

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
out there in California??? Hi everyone. Just read on line that 130,000 more people left the state of California, then migrated to it in 2017. Seems the majority of those leaving were older, retired and on fixed income. They left because of high taxes and rents. Just raised the gas tax 40%. Second highest in the nation. They went to southern Nevada, Arizona and Texas. I read that a 2 bedroom apt. in San Francisco was $4500.00. Not much less in the LA area. Sounds like Manhattan rentals to me LOL. But, those prices are crazy. Many who work for the big companies in Silicone Valley, request to work from home in Nevada, because of the high rents. Well, at least you have the Golden Gate Bridge and Pacific Ocean to look at. I have the polluted Hudson River, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carmine, people leaving California is not uncommon. I remember in 85 a bunch left. Then again around the early 90's ( we left to go to Colorado in 94 ) then there have been other times. They are always for taxes, politics, etc.. I think about it often myself.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In contrast South Dakota has averaged a 6.8% increase from 2010-2017. I can't say that people are coming for the climate but rather no state income tax, business friendly tax structure, economical housing and a lower cost of living.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Doesn't surprise anybody. First, when they continually screw the goose that lays the golden egg, she gets sore and walks away,taking her golden eggs with her. Secondly, these individuals immigrating and bringing their lifestyles,politics,and problems with them, it's because that's what they're comfortable with. They don't know anything else. They need to learn how to live free, think for themselves and assimilate before the left gets ahold of them and exploits them further for their own use.

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
New York is no bargain either. Think I'll get a 2 story tree house in the Amazon jungle, until things subside. Guess I better plan on staying a while, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
out there in California??? Hi everyone. Just read on line that 130,000 more people left the state of California, then migrated to it in 2017. Seems the majority of those leaving were older, retired and on fixed income. They left because of high taxes and rents. Just raised the gas tax 40%. Second highest in the nation. They went to southern Nevada, Arizona and Texas. I read that a 2 bedroom apt. in San Francisco was $4500.00. Not much less in the LA area. Sounds like Manhattan rentals to me LOL. But, those prices are crazy. Many who work for the big companies in Silicone Valley, request to work from home in Nevada, because of the high rents. Well, at least you have the Golden Gate Bridge and Pacific Ocean to look at. I have the polluted Hudson River, Carmine.

Next you'll be believing you can buy a restored 1957 Chevy convertible for $33000:crazy

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would love that Mike. If possible, I'd have it in my driveway tonight. Maybe one of those folks vacating California would make me an offer I can't refuse :roll:roll, Carmine.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
For a very long time Carmine, the San Francisco, and San Pablo Bays were pretty polluted also. It has been cleaned up quite a bit, however companies always seem to dump chemicals and other stuff into it. Us tax payers keep paying for the cleanup, and two faced democrats and liberals that run this state never hold any of the polluters responsible. I voted for every clean water and air act for most of my life. Then about 10 years ago I stopped. Hold the people responsible that polluted it.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Offended :wtfYou think that speaking of a polluted bay and calling the scum bags that refuse to do anything about it, political ? :D Your are entitled to your opinion but not your facts. Well maybe you are, this is your board :doh They are responsible for their actions, they just happen to be liberal and democrat, mostly. :crazy

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Bob. Forgot about this section. Guess I never understood the high cost of housing in some California area's. I suppose there is some real nice country out there, but how do you afford to live there?? I read that the average price of a home in San Diego is $550,000.00. In San Francisco it was $1.2 million. Ouch. I know there are some good paying jobs out there, but wow. Looks like it gets eaten up by housing. No bargain here in NY either. Can't even tell you what an apt. in Manhattan cost to rent or buy. I'm sure both are ridiculous. Then as you leave NYC and travel north in my direction, Rockland and especially Westchester Counties, put your hand over your sphincter muscle for prices. Guess it comes to location no matter where you live. I know some people that live by me and commute 2 hours each way-4 total- for work in NYC. That's 4 hours on a good day. I'm sure they make great money, but what a trade off. Comes down to doing what you have to do to support your family. All this makes that 2 story tree house in the Amazon Jungle, much more attractive, Carmine.

BTW, it's still on my bucket list to see California. We want to fly into San Francisco, see some sights, rent a car and drive south. I'd like to stay along the costal highway as much as possible. Would like to see LA and Hollywood. Take in some additional sights on our way to San Diego. Spend a little time there and fly back to the tree house. What'd you think??. I would be good for your economy, right?? LOL.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carmine there are some great places to see along Highway 1 going south towards LA from SF. There are lots of things not far off the coast also. Friends flew in from North Carolina and rented Harleys and road down the coast. Let us know if you come out this way. Also like every state, if you get away from the main cities like SF, the prices get lower. You can buy all day long around 300K around Sacramento. Yes you can go lower, much lower depending on where, and much higher like anywhere.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine there are some great places to see along Highway 1 going south towards LA from SF. There are lots of things not far off the coast also. Friends flew in from North Carolina and rented Harleys and road down the coast. Let us know if you come out this way. Also like every state, if you get away from the main cities like SF, the prices get lower. You can buy all day long around 300K around Sacramento. Yes you can go lower, much lower depending on where, and much higher like anywhere.

I will do that Jeff. I can be a spontaneous SOB, so you never know about me. I'm really looking forward to going there someday. Funny you mention Sacramento, I have a cousin that lives there. Not really close. Only see her when she returns to NY for funerals. As for housing prices, I think location means everything as you point out. In my area, a bi level home design is very popular. Offers a lot of bang for the buck. On 1/3 acre of ground in a decent area, that house could fetch $275,000.00 to $300,000.00. Now, that same house in Rockland County, about 40 miles south of me and 25 miles from NYC, will cost you $450,000.00 to $500,000.00. If you go north of me into the adjoining county, you're lucky to get $200,000.00 to $225,000.00 for that same house. Guess location is everything, Carmine.