Whats it take?

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
NEW LAW......Cant have Joe & Beau until they learn to tie their shoe laces !!!:doh

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good luck getting into Montreal Ray. It has been snowing here for the last three days and we have over a foot of snow on the ground at the moment. Very unusual for our town. Guess it is worse as you go north. The front stalled out over Maine and is back washing over us and the rest of New England. 30 mph wind today is making it a handful. Should calm down mid week we hope. Will you be going up 87 out of Albany to Canada?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ray: Do you haul into California? I was talking to a friend this weekend and he was telling a horror story of an independent driver who delivered him some engines from Mercury Marine and had gone into Ca. to get another load and they fined him thousands because of the 5th wheel to axle measurement or something related to that area of the truck.. A law we don't have in MD yet. He also said that the driver told him one of his trucks isn't allowed in CA. because of the engine age or engine type or something related to the age. What is going on in CA? Let's hope MD. doesn't hear of this.
Let me know if you get a load near here but DON'T try to come up to the house unless you can back out to the main county road as you ain't gonna turn around unless the river is frozen and you can drive like the ice road truckers show.
robert

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Walt, I was thinking of going up 81 to 11 east to 87. That way I'll only have about 40 miles in Canada. Having a hard time getting confirmation on any hazmat restrictions on the NY/CANADA crossings. Might have to cross at Port Huron, Mi.. Just hate the thought of going all the way across Ontario. I've done that and it sucks big time if it's snowin.

Ray

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Hazmate restrictions!! Ray what kind of bombs are you hauling anyway?
robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ray: I was just thinking about your Hazmat issue at the Canadian border. A local fire dept just had to replace their hazmat rig and bought a tractor-trailer unit but now they are having driver issues. Seems as though MD is going to require them to have full class A CDL drivers with all hazmat endorsements:eek: They are a bit short of drivers with all of those requirements You want a MD job?
robert

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert, Never hauled bombs, per say, just the stuff that makes the bombs go boom. I've hauled just about everything else from soap to acrylic acid. With all the green hoopla here's an interesting product found in soaps, nonyl phenol. It, when you wash clothes and the waste water ends up in rivers and oceans it stops fish from becoming males, fish are now only becoming females. A Fishes sex is only determined after it is weeks(?) after it is born. Kinda like San Francisco. Those firemen really shouldn't have a problem getting hazmat endorsement, it's just the bull with the background checks. And if they have to enter a port, they will probably need a TWIC card also. They also would have to prove they were born in the US. Wonder if our dicktator in Washington could get one:?. You can't just write I am an American on a napkin for proof. MD is too close to DC.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ron, Coffee Creek, was in your neighborhood the week before Christmas (dec 20). Nice weather, fog, freezing rain, snow from Moore to Great Falls on 87. You don't drive a white dually do you? No, couldn't have been you, that clown cannot still be alive.

Ray

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
California Trucking

Ray: Do you haul into California? I was talking to a friend this weekend and he was telling a horror story of an independent driver who delivered him some engines from Mercury Marine and had gone into Ca. to get another load and they fined him thousands because of the 5th wheel to axle measurement or something related to that area of the truck.. A law we don't have in MD yet. He also said that the driver told him one of his trucks isn't allowed in CA. because of the engine age or engine type or something related to the age. What is going on in CA? Let's hope MD. doesn't hear of this.

California has always been very hard on truckers. The CA Dept of Transport and the Highway Patrol almost waits for out of state trucks. They have their own rules as far as wheelbase goes. Not so much the length of the tractor but the lenght between the steer axle of the truck and the rear axle of the trailer, axle spacings. measurements from the fifth wheel to different axles on the trailer, etc. You can be legal with your rig, but sometimes if you switch trailers and there is a few inches difference in axle spacings you're screwed. They can't enforce their laws on the Interstates because from what I understand that comes under federal laws. A trucker can roll into CA on I-5, be checked at the scales and be fine...... but when he pulls off the Interstate to unload his cargo he's in trouble unless his complete rig meets their laws. I don't know all the reg's off the top of my head but it get's really silly.

The CA inspections...... don't get me wrong I believe in inspections and the trucks need to be safe. California inspectors at times are idiots..... (I hope I'm not offending anyone)...... They have been so bad in the past that the engineering department Peterbilt has had to get involved with individual cases to prove that the truck was safe..... I don't know what training the inspectors have to have but it seems at the top of their inspection list written in bold ink is "look for out of State trucks & get them for something" ..... they will park you miles from a repair shop for a burnt out light......... Robert you're friend was lucky... if they wanted to they could have made him unhook the trailer and leave it...... And of course there are mobile repair guys that wait, rubbing their hands together waiting for the phone to ring..... and trust me if the truck has to be towed in their opinion you really don't want to know how much that costs..... the tow truck guys are also sitting ready to pounce......

The CA weigh scales........ 80,000 lbs GVW is a pretty standard maximum weight allowed all over the U.S for the truck, trailer and load. The trucks are weighed by axle or axle grouping. You are allowed 12,000 lbs. on the steer axle, 34,000 lbs. on the tandem truck axles and 34,000 lbs. on the trailer tandem axles. Ray will back this up....... that most scale operators will let you pass if you are over the weight by a couple of hundred pounds. Or in some cases you may have a few hundred lbs. to much on one axle group but be light on another...... and still be under a total of 80,000........ Most scale operators will cut you some slack and let you go...... But not CA.... They want their fine money !!!!! Common sense is never applied. That same truck/trailer in Canada is legal for 86,000 lbs. Even at that it is not anywhere near the safety limit of the truck....... The same rated truck is certified by Peterbilt and under full warranty up to 110,000 lbs........ The trucks have a huge safety margin.... where is common sense ?????

The CA Highway Patrol...... No slack at all for out of state truckers. A couple of years ago one of my customers got a speeding ticket. He was caught on radar doing 58 MPH in a 55MPH speed zone...... the fine was $470.00.... I dare you to drive in the wrong lane for a few hundred yards to get around a slow vehicle... and good God pray that the tail lights you checked two hours ago are still all working...... heheheheee $$$$$$$$$$ More money for Arnold !!!......... I shouldn't slam Arnold because CA has always been like this.

The new CA emission rules...... Soon to come in some other states as well..... It seems that the green people like to follow CA..... now this really sucks. Right now you cannot idle a truck in CA for more than 5 minutes. They have a huge fine if you're caught. 2009 & newer trucks going into CA must be clean idle certified and have the factory decal on the door....... no decal.... you don't go, that simple..... Some engine ECM's (computer) that have the certification will shut off after 3 minutes. It's also controlled by a speed sensor so you can't kick the RPM up to fool the ECM..... it knows the truck isn't moving..... This can never be changed unless you buy a new ECM..... which is illegal....... There are some engines that change the timing and fuel flow etc. to allow the engine to keep running. From what I understand there is only one manufacturer with that option. If you're going to be hauling into CA with a 2009 truck you're almost forced to buy that product. Ray will attest to this..... when you leave CA and head across North America an engine that won't idle when it's -30 and snowing isn't what you want...... I agree that idleing isn't good but at times it's required. A little common sense is all that's needed..... or you can equip the truck with a $10,000 power unit that will keep the truck warm or run the air conditioning.... but even it has to be CA certified...... Right now the Reefer units for keeping the trailer cool for hauling produce must be replaced with a new emission unit.......

I don't know the exact rules on this neat one but at the end of the story you will not be allowed to drive a truck in CA that is older than 2010 within a few years. They are forcing truckers & truck companies to buy the new trucks. I think it's about 3 years from now......... NO TRUCKS ALLOWED OLDER THAN 2010.

I do sell trucks all over the U.S. Not new ones because of a couple of reasons..... you are always better to deal locally on a new truck. Used have always been different in that respect. Sometimes a certain used truck is hard to find or not availabe locally. Historically Canadian trucks are tougher that U.S. trucks. We have more applications that require heavier frames, bigger axles & suspensions. These heavy duty used trucks are sought after by U.S. customers because they don't exist in a lot of places. You could buy a new one with the heavier spec but used are hard to find..... I have sold a lot of these trucks into the U.S. over the years and have great customers down there. Some of them in CA have already left the trucking industry and more are planning to leave with all these new regulations........ The new trucks are expensive to buy and are more expensive to run......

From where I sit CA will loose big time..... freight rates will sky rocket when they limit who can enter the state...... The new trucks are good because they don't pollute the air.... and I agree that's a good thing.......... CA will have clean air and milk for $10 a quart because of the freight rates....... The economey can't take these changes this fast.........

I'd love to be able to go back in time and be able to sell a 2000 Peterbilt with a Cat C-15 or a Cummins N-14......... They were the best engines made as far as power, fuel mileage, reliability and they didn't put out much for emissions.

.......... just my opinions.

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
................ And Ray.... I feel sorry for you if you have to drive across Ontario.... my customers tell me Ontario has some the worst highways in Canada.....

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Could be. There are some queer things happening there.

Well gee Ron all you have to do is take one look at Nancy Pelosi and ya know that things are Queer in San Francisco.....:roll:roll:roll:roll

Attachments

• Nancy-Pelosi--1492.jpg
    Nancy-Pelosi--1492.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 51

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So Dave, in 3 years there will be no Mexican trucks in CA- we'll have to run this one up the free trade panel.

By the way, we have our own dictators in Canada, they are still trying to figure out how to get rid of universal free health care, cheap prescription drugs, guns, etc.

Don

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave and Robert, I was lucky in CA as when I was loaded the roads by the scales were so bad they were closed, never entered a scale until I was empty. This 13 letter poop spreader (2008) weighs 20,000 + bobtail:crazy, then add a 14,500# liquid tanker and I can't axle 44,000.:cuss Got stuck in Sioux City, Ia. Just about would get it out, tires break traction and autoshift trans goes to neutral and you loose any momentum. I've got over 1.5 million miles and thats the first time I couldn't get unstuck.
Ah yes Ontario. I've gone 15 mph from London to Toronto behind their plows (four wide and no break to pass). Then it got worse. There is a reason they call their local access roads collectors, they collect a whole lot of vehicles.

Ray

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Man,, Canada? Eight months of winter,four months of bad skiing !!:crazy

No where left to go except maybe south,,, WAY south,,,
Costa Rica,,, they love Americans,,,

As far as Califorication??? MD????
They need a roll of this!!!

Attachments

• TP.jpg
    TP.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 55

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Man,, Canada? Eight months of winter,four months of bad skiing !!

come on there DQ ??? Vancouver weather isn't included in that statement. We had about 1" of snow a few weeks ago and it was gone the next day !!

Dave

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
[QUOTE autoshift trans goes to neutral and you loose any momentum.][/QUOTE]

The only reason they made those silly things because of all the immigrant drivers who don't have a clue how to shift gears ......... I hate 'em !!!! (auto-shifts of course)

Ray, you are a dying breed..... I know from meeting you that you'd much rather have a good old C-15, an 18 speed .... or maybe an old Series 60 and a 15 speed...... & a couple of lockers back there..... bet you wouldn't have gotten stuck then huh ????? then you'd be like an old Canadian truck driver and only put on chains if you had to lift on a 10 - 12% grade

I feel sorry for you guys out there with all the new regulations & B.S...... I think it will be soon you are going to have to record in your log book the fact that you thought about stopping for a leak...... but changed your mind.

Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Ray: I didn't think you were an autoshift person:eek: But I must commend you for never sticking one. A friend just had to get his off road Cat dump truck up to a farm near here last week to drag out a bulk grain truck that sort of went off the gravel in a snow dusting. The scene looked like something from the Ice Road Truckers show, I should have gotten some pictures for you. Oh, I'm not sure if that Freightliner was an autoshift but I don't think a C-15 18sp would have helped in that mud either.
robert