Which scatter shield bellhousing fits best?

hanke

Supporting Member 1
Thinking I may need a scatter shield? Not sure what or which brand I should get.

Jack Gibbs built me a 348 with 409 crank and 333 heads, 420 hp motor. Can’t wait to hear her run!!!

I am running a M22 Muncie with a stock open bottom 1955 ish cast iron bell housing with stock 168 tooth flywheel. Also an 11” Mcleod clutch, pressure plate and hyd throw-out bearing.
After reading some horror story’s about clutches and flywheel coming apart I rethinking that 0.070” sheet metal floor for protection!

It’s in a 31 roadster with a 32 frame; clearances are tight. Running a mini starter.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thinking I may need a scatter shield? Not sure what or which brand I should get.

Jack Gibbs built me a 348 with 409 crank and 333 heads, 420 hp motor. Can’t wait to hear her run!!!

I am running a M22 Muncie with a stock open bottom 1955 ish cast iron bell housing with stock 168 tooth flywheel. Also an 11” Mcleod clutch, pressure plate and hyd throw-out bearing.
After reading some horror story’s about clutches and flywheel coming apart I rethinking that 0.070” sheet metal floor for protection!

It’s in a 31 roadster with a 32 frame; clearances are tight. Running a mini starter.
Several are running the Quicktime Bell but I think a 552 would be fine.

hanke

Supporting Member 1
I am reworking the floor and firewall and was thinking of heavier metal 0.125 or? Not sure if needed or would help?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I ran a Lakewood on my Impala(in fact it is on my Camaro now)ok fit but bulky and I probablu should have checked to see if it needed offset dowels as I hear they ar bad about centering the tranny.

Quick times I hear are better on centering and less bulky.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have a quicktime, and it fits real nice. Yes, you need to dial in the bellhousing with offset dowels for sure. We recently had a Lakewood that was not flat on the face of the bellhousing where the trans bolts up. When it was tightened up, it broke the ear on the trans. No I was not there for the install, but I could see the issue on the disassembly. I would check that for sure.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I am reworking the floor and firewall and was thinking of heavier metal 0.125 or? Not sure if needed or would help?

As a fellow early Ford guy, please do not do that.

Get a QuickTime bellhousing, such as the RM-6022. They are more compact than their Lakewood counterparts.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Scatter shield only needed for racing? I know its a requirement for racing, but is it needed on a low rpm street car with the cast iron BH?

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Scatter shield only needed for racing? I know its a requirement for racing, but is it needed on a low rpm street car with the cast iron BH?

Is it NEEDED? No it's not, but I would recommend one just because you never really know what your getting from where anymore. It's just a good piece-of-mind knowing that IF something let's go at 4500RPM, it's not gonna saw your feet off, or hurt someone else.

Just get a Lakewood CHEVY bell. Mine works fine in my '61 with 409 and T-10. Alot cheaper then Quicktime. I've had 3 USED Lakewoods and I have never had any issues with run-out or flatness? Maybe I'm just lucky???

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Funny, people "think" about the clutch coming apart, which in ALL HONESTY they should. But most don't give a second thought to the balancer??? Concerned about the new clutch cutting of one toes, and it's usually 50 years newer then the balancer. YET they spin at the same RPM. Usually the balancer will just roll off the front of the motor and roll away, (as I have witness 10+ times), but I have also seen them take out a block, smash ALL the insides of a motor, and even crash a car because of oil under the tires!!!

FYI look over everything

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I would never trust a cast iron flywheel without a scatter sheild. And as one of my friends used to say why not get "blowup proof"(how they used to advertise them) flywheel and clutch to start with too so you don't have to contain as much".

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I knew a fellow who lost an ear to a fan, not sure if it had a shroud or not. A blade came off, lucky it was only the ear. Maybe a Lakewood is needed for the fan too?

I don't race and have only heard of a clutch blowing up on the track.

Don

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I lucked out and dodged one in my earlier years.

I was working at my second job after tech school when Jack the wrench that work in the next stall pulled in this Valiant with a bad rattle under the hood so I open the hood as it is running and he hits the throttle and the fan and water pump pulley chase me out of his stall.