Who builds The best w motor

BubbleTrouble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have had a good experience with Jack Gibbs... He build the 409 in Ms Bela and it runs great. He stood behind the first motor I got from him, (he did not build it) and got me the things I needed to get up and running. He won't be the cheapest, but you always get what you pay for.

I curently have around 12,000 miles on this motor with no issues. I have driven Ms Bela on numerus 1,500 (+) mile trips over the last three years and other than the MPG (10 +) I couldn't be happier !!!!! :dance

Bill

thanks bill for the input, im hearing good things about mr. gibbs.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well based on that distance statement Dave's 61 has the most road miles that I recall. With the help from the guys here a good Machine Shop and attention to the details in assembly a good hypo street motor is not hard for most to build.

Richmond Engines........... but we're to far away from most of you.

Dave

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There seems to be quite a few really good shops which specialize in these motors, as well as a few other less specialized shops which have a lot of knowledge and experience with them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the folks mentioned, depending on who is close by and you feel comfortable with. I have a great working relationship with a very experienced friend/machinist/engine builder, he makes things fit, gives me advice and I get to pick out parts and bolt them together and try to break them.

I'd like to have a 409 from any of the folks who have been listed above, though, what a great bunch!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dave said:
Richmond Engines........... but we're to far away from most of you.

Dave, great to hear from you, long time no posts...

Bill

S

Swiss Impala

Richmond 2.JPG
"Richmond Engines................but we're to far away from most of you."
Not to far away from Switzerland!

The Impala has still to wait, but if the engines works half as well as it looks :D,
it will move the Swiss mountains!;) :D
By the way the engine is stored well, no problem.

Franz
rrichmond.JPG

409 Richmond.JPG

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Franz, that 409 runs as good or better than it looks, I helped Jim put it on the dyno.:) ........ just don't let enyone mess with the carbs or the timing. It's all ready to move one of those mountains.

Dave

S

Swiss Impala

Dave, as you know, "moving one or more of our mountains", this is something we have to do
together one day. I got the 409, something I had given up years ago, but it worked,
so we shall repeat the "Gotthard day" together you will see.
All the best from Switzerland,

Franz

wldavis

I can't speak for the the others since I never had an engine built by them, but Lamar Walden built my engine and I am extremely happy with it. I was fortunate to work at Lamar's for a little over a year until the economy crashed several years ago. I can tell you first hand that their devotion and attention to detail when it come to these motors is second to none.

I keep hearing how pricey he is but if you compare machine cost with other shops you'll probably find that he is right on with their prices. Where you pay is for the cost of some of the parts (like rocker arms, cams, intakes and custom pistons) that he has made especially for him. He knows these motors. He's been building them for over 40 years. He has raced them and knows how to tweek every little thing out of them. If you don't want to take advantage of those parts than you can have him build it however you like depending on your situation. Lamar is a full service shop. He can build your engine however you like and if need be, he can make any custom piece or modify any part on his CNC machines that you may need. People send parts to him every day to work on and repair. In fact, I've seen him repair intakes and work on heads for Jack Gibbs.

He gets calls every day from other builders and engine owners for advice on these motors. Give him a call, he's a super nice guy and he'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck with your build.
Dan

Georgia Nut

I can't speak for the the others since I never had an engine built by them, but Lamar Walden built my engine and I am extremely happy with it. I was fortunate to work at Lamar's for a little over a year until the economy crashed several years ago. I can tell you first hand that their devotion and attention to detail when it come to these motors is second to none.

I keep hearing how pricey he is but if you compare machine cost with other shops you'll probably find that he is right on with their prices. Where you pay is for the cost of some of the parts (like rocker arms, cams, intakes and custom pistons) that he has made especially for him. He knows these motors. He's been building them for over 40 years. He has raced them and knows how to tweek every little thing out of them. If you don't want to take advantage of those parts than you can have him build it however you like depending on your situation. Lamar is a full service shop. He can build your engine however you like and if need be, he can make any custom piece or modify any part on his CNC machines that you may need. People send parts to him every day to work on and repair. In fact, I've seen him repair intakes and work on heads for Jack Gibbs.

He gets calls every day from other builders and engine owners for advice on these motors. Give him a call, he's a super nice guy and he'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck with your build.
Dan
X2 :cool: Except the working at his shop part but I have been there a few times. He built 2 of my friends 409's.