Why Do We Do This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I received a call yesterday from someone whom I've never met. Had a 63 Impala convertible he wanted to sell. It was cheap so I said I'd go look at it. He said it was rough.............:doh :doh That's the kind I like!!!!

He was understating ROUGH!!!! It was just delivered this afternoon. I have never seen a car THIS BAD!!!! Look at the gaps at the top of the doors and rear quarter....................this car sat in a barn with a dirt floor for many, many years. The gap at the doors...................THE FRAME IS RUSTED IN HALF!!!!!:roll :roll UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My lovely bride will look at this and say "WHY"???????????? Because it's in my blood and I'm a glutton for punishment I guess!!!! But the real WHY is............all the convertible stuff is still intact!!!!!! I'll just part it out this summmer and fall. Just another part of my 401K Retirement package!!!!:brow :brow

Attachments

• 63conv1.jpg
    63conv1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 360
  • 63conv2.jpg
    63conv2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 63conv3.jpg
    63conv3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 292

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
Come on guys? Part this out? Naaawh!
All it needs is a new frame...that top looks almost new. OK it might need a quarter..or two, ...while we're in here, perchance a trunk floor.:dunno

Pebble Beach 2014 here we come!:brow :brow

Has anyone seen the ad on TV for the GAP? The one where the shoes follow the young lady home? And we laugh about the way the girlies shop!
BBTP61

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
can't add another picture

Another picture....................look at the angle of the rear quarter!!! I can't get over this.............I've never seen a car this bad!!!

But decided to keep this since the last post..........gonna do a frame-off......put together a stroker motor (Aubrey!!!!) and I'm gonna go to the Blue Swede cruise and wax Fatride in the 60 foot contest!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll

Probably not..................

Attachments

• 63conv4.jpg
    63conv4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 209

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It must have been very cheap. I would never, ever buy a car sight unseen unless it was so cheap it didn't matter.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Come on Phil,,, Thats a good EBay one owner low mile cream puff !!!!:roll :roll

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Its a good thing the top is still in tack or you would have two cars there.:roll :roll :roll

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Phil,
I am right there with you.
I have parted quite a few convertibles in the last couple years.
and most of them were about as bad as that 63.
Although mine were all A-body GM cars of the mid to late 60's.
There was't much holding this buick together. just a little bit of the rockers and trans tunnel. The frame and floors were gone.

Attachments

• buickjunk.jpg
    buickjunk.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 151

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
A Diamond in the .....

Phil: Your center picture, of the trunk tells the story.:doh That car is in pain.:roll If you stare at the trunk lid long enough, you can hear it grimacing.:roll:dunno By the looks of that rear quarter, you know the frame rails, behind the rear axle are gone. Other than that, just think what it could look like some day !:scratch :eek: :roll :roll Skip:)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
you guessed it....

The rear frame rails were hanging down under the car from the trip to the shop on the tralier. Now they are bent forward under the rear end housing after rolling it off the trailer!!!:roll :roll

The trunk wasn't like that last night when I looked at the car. It bent that easily when they were loading it on the trailer. And when they were loading it on the trailer.....................the whole rear bumper assembly....JUST FELL OFF!!!!

I just love this car!!!! It's a real winner!!!!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, You always seem to find the "real deals". That conv. could be famous one day. Should be at least a one page feature for Ripley's Believe It Or Not.. Seriously, you should make a full photo album from that car. The pictures of the undercarriage would make entertaining viewing. Sure would have liked to have seen your face when that bumper fell off!!!!!!! :roll :roll

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
hey Phil

YOU DA MAN :roll :roll :roll :roll

just a little weld hear and their, dab of putty ,couple of cans of spray paint for undercoating, and wall la your their another show car for the pages of history

no problem:bow :bow :bow
roger

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Great New Idea!!!!!!!!!

I have a friend who is going to call OVERHAULIN' for me!!!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Phil

I gotta say that car makes me feel better about some of the cars that have followed me home. If that were a stray dog the SPCA wouldn't even try to find it a home they would just put it to sleep. :roll :roll :roll :roll

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
everything comes in 3's????????

Does everything happen in 3's??? Need to know soon, I'm about out of money!!!

Just bought another convertible tonight. 10 minutes ago!! I went and looked at it this afternoon and the owner just called and said they would sell it to me!!!!:clap :clap His dad bought the car in 1970...been in the family that long. 1962 Impala....factory red/red.....283 PG, P/S, 2-speed wipers, standard brakes and factory posi sticker still on the trunk lid. Wasn't able to get under the car to see if the posi is still there but the label on the trunk lid is neat. Car is totally complete and stored inside. But it will need quarters and some body work. I won't have room at the shop for about 2 months so it will have to wait until I sell my dually and really neat....easy restoration needed, 63 convertible!!! I'm hoping dates work out.........I have a Jan 24, 1962 068 block and a pair of Jan. 28, 1962 690 heads I have been saving!!!!:clap :clap :clap Maybe you can see where I'm going with this!!!! I'll post some pictures when I get it.

I really need to know about this 3 stuff tho. Should I expect to hear about another car this week????:doh :doh :doh Guess if I do...I'll just call Division 1 Racer........Denny's got the fundage to maybe help me!!!

Whew...........

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Another picture....................look at the angle of the rear quarter!!! I can't get over this.............I've never seen a car this bad!!!

But decided to keep this since the last post..........gonna do a frame-off......put together a stroker motor (Aubrey!!!!) and I'm gonna go to the Blue Swede cruise and wax Fatride in the 60 foot contest!!!!:roll :roll :roll :roll

Probably not..................

Phil,
Probably the "only" car that will be at Norwalk that I can 60'.
Be pretty hard to get that convert off the line with that hinge in the middle. :roll

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Does everything happen in 3's??? Need to know soon, I'm about out of money!!!

Just bought another convertible tonight. 10 minutes ago!! I went and looked at it this afternoon and the owner just called and said they would sell it to me!!!!:clap :clap His dad bought the car in 1970...been in the family that long. 1962 Impala....factory red/red.....283 PG, P/S, 2-speed wipers, standard brakes and factory posi sticker still on the trunk lid. Wasn't able to get under the car to see if the posi is still there but the label on the trunk lid is neat. Car is totally complete and stored inside. But it will need quarters and some body work. I won't have room at the shop for about 2 months so it will have to wait until I sell my dually and really neat....easy restoration needed, 63 convertible!!! I'm hoping dates work out.........I have a Jan 24, 1962 068 block and a pair of Jan. 28, 1962 690 heads I have been saving!!!!:clap :clap :clap Maybe you can see where I'm going with this!!!! I'll post some pictures when I get it.

I really need to know about this 3 stuff tho. Should I expect to hear about another car this week????:doh :doh :doh Guess if I do...I'll just call Division 1 Racer........Denny's got the fundage to maybe help me!!!

Whew...........

Hey Phil, Just put together a 409 Investment Group and sell shares. Buy 'em all!:deal :brow