Why Do We Do This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Phil, I went to a junk yard about 3 miles from me and spent all afternoon just walking around looking. There are two 63's there one a 4dr and the other a 2 dr hardtop. both have frames under them, I can go look at them to see if they are any good. Also there was a 56 Buick Century 4dr hardtop complete I believe it had the engine in it. The body was straight and had surface rust but it was crying to go home with someone. I think it kept saying Phil baby I need you. :roll :roll Roy

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Close

You don't know how close you are Roy!!! I got my driver's license in my step-father's 55 Buick Roadmaster!!! It was a 2-door hardtop. I spent my junior high and high school years looking thru the JC Whitney & Warshosky catalogs looking for speed parts for a 322 Buick!!!:doh :doh You know how many speed parts are available for this car????????NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this is why I turned out to be this way today!! But I did slip out and take it to the drag strip. I still have some of my old time slips..........best was a 17.22!!! Got to run a 59 Bonneville convertible for Middle Eliminator one time.....322 verus 389.....HE WAXED MY *SS!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah.....but he has forgotten the whole weekend BUT I HAVE THE MEMORIES!!!! A Master Card moment....PRICELESS!!!!

While I'm on this subject....you couldn't get any headers for a Buick, so I got a cross-over pipe from a junk yard and cut it apart about 10" below the flanges. I'd drive the Buick to the drag strip and then un-bolt the cross-over off the engine and wire it up out of the way. Then bolt on my shorty pipes!!!! Simple and effective!!!

That old Buick had the Dyna-Flow transmission. I'd run it up to about 70 MPH in low gear and pop it up in drive!!! The 3rd time that the Buick wouldn't hardly pull itself, my step father took it back in to the local Buick dealer. Stated that he and his father had been good customers of this dealership since the 30s.......this was in 1960 or 1961......and they hadn't repaired the transmission correctly and he was upset having to pay for this now a third time. Ole Vic, the shop foreman just put his hand on my step-father's shoulder and said........"Jerome....I think you need to go talk with your stepson"!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still remember the dinner table that night!!!!!! But I still have my time slips!!!!

I loved that old Buick!!!!!

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Phil ,

Can't help you w/ FUNDAGE . I'm on a fixed income & beside that i have way too many bad habits !!!!!!!! :roll :roll

As far a why you turned out the way you are ?? I THINK YOU WERE DROPPED ON YOU HEAD !!! :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :

Hope i didn't hurt " YOUR FEELINGS AGAIN " !!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Update!!!!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their heartfelt concern as I started this project!! The calls and emails were overwhelming!!!!

After 2 days of hard work this week.....I think we finally have the "look" we wanted!! Kinda a cross between the Batmobile and a bad wreck!! We went for the lowered look that is so popular today and without the windshield pillar posts to get in the way...it really gives us the streamlined look!!! Most people spend a lot of money on hydraulics to get the lowered look. We just chose to use tires that are flat on one side!! We have an air bubble for when we will be ready to leave the car shows. The gap in the right rear quarter was to take off the gas door guard....wanted to be able to keep the original screws!! Thought I might try to mount a 12" flat screen in the opening.

Notice the mint original floor pans??? Wish we could find them!!!!:roll :roll Figured we might try the ISCA circuit this year. If not, we could always bring this to Blue Swede Cruise and look for Ray!!!!

Somebody named Chip called today...said he had heard about the project and wanted to fly in next week to look at it for additional ideas for his cars. I thanked him for calling but said I didn't have time next week at all!!!!

We'll probably have the stroker engine ready in about a week. Haven't decided on a Powerglide or Jerico transmission yet. Still debating on a heavy duty rearend setup.....that I might have CPG set one up for me!!!!

Hope you enjoy the pictures!!!

Attachments

• 63conv5.jpg
    63conv5.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 63conv6.jpg
    63conv6.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 63conv7.jpg
    63conv7.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 63conv8.jpg
    63conv8.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 206
  • mccormackdone2.jpg
    mccormackdone2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 176

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
phil: That really isn't the concrete floor we see in the interior picture?:eek:
Robert

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their heartfelt concern as I started this project!! The calls and emails were overwhelming!!!!

After 2 days of hard work this week.....I think we finally have the "look" we wanted!! Kinda a cross between the Batmobile and a bad wreck!! We went for the lowered look that is so popular today and without the windshield pillar posts to get in the way...it really gives us the streamlined look!!! Most people spend a lot of money on hydraulics to get the lowered look. We just chose to use tires that are flat on one side!! We have an air bubble for when we will be ready to leave the car shows. The gap in the right rear quarter was to take off the gas door guard....wanted to be able to keep the original screws!! Thought I might try to mount a 12" flat screen in the opening.

Notice the mint original floor pans??? Wish we could find them!!!!:roll :roll Figured we might try the ISCA circuit this year. If not, we could always bring this to Blue Swede Cruise and look for Ray!!!!

Somebody named Chip called today...said he had heard about the project and wanted to fly in next week to look at it for additional ideas for his cars. I thanked him for calling but said I didn't have time next week at all!!!!

We'll probably have the stroker engine ready in about a week. Haven't decided on a Powerglide or Jerico transmission yet. Still debating on a heavy duty rearend setup.....that I might have CPG set one up for me!!!!

Hope you enjoy the pictures!!!

Phil, a good pair of Nikes and you would have a fast Flintstones drag car! :scratch Should be able to 60' any ole 60 Impala "348" tub. :rolleyes:

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil!!!!!!! What a cool look. I've never seen a car with the rear end of the car sloped downward like that. Maybe a new fad!!! Reminds me of a dog dragging its butt across the grass. You sir, are a trend setter!! :beerbang :beerbang

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Phil: Those floors sure bring back some memories.:clap Back in the 70's I bought a used 62 Chevy II. I bought it, to drop my 409 in, Some Day. Anyway, the body was pretty cherry, with the exception of the six inch hole in the drivers side floor, near the gas pedal. One day a friend of mine joined me for lunch, and our eye's seemed to be larger than our stomachs. We bought about fifteen Charlie's Little Hot Dogs. They were pretty good, but after eating about four apiece, we couldn't eat anymore. As we were driving back to work, we started dropping them out the hole in my floor.:roll My buddy was laughing his A$$ off watching the cars behind us running them over.:roll :roll But after seeing your car's interior. I'm certain, I would NOT want to eat my lunch in there.:roll :roll Sorry Skip:)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'M SORRY!!!!! When Models posted pictures of the Blue Swede Cruise tonight...I thought I'd "search" Blue Swede Cruise to find the original threads of the event. When I did that.............this popped up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been laughing for about 10 minutes over this!! This 63 convertible was a real pivotal point in my life................just wished I could remember what it was!!!!!!!
Oh well....had parts to sell for years from this project.

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil, I remember this thead well, just read the whe thing again...:clap This is great stuff for some of the newer members to read and understand why this is the greatest forum on the net...:burnout
Thanks for posting...:deal

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey Jason...........................see that 61 Belair in the background??????????????? That's where your door panel moldings came from!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Since I posted I bought a 62 convert.........still have a couple of pictures on my computer. 62conv1.jpg 62conv4.jpg 62conv12.jpg 62conv26.jpg
This what it looked like after I cleaned it up. Drove it on the portable parking lot.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I saw that one in person. If I remember correctly it was also a Flintstone car.

Lonnie

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Would look good next to a red with red and white top 63 vert. Nah, I can't seem to get done what I already have!