Wood brothers & Trevor Baynes

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wacky Race but nice kid

I wonder what the plans are now cause he gets no points for todays race. Even if the Wood brothers can't field a car for the whole schedule I hope they run a full Nationwide season. He could run for Rookie of the Year next year.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Mixed emotions here.Yes it's great that Trevor and the Wood brohers won :bow,but the first 3 places went to a :cuss:evil Fo@d.:bang

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
I've know Trevor and his family since he was in the USAR Hooter's Pro Cup Series. He was a development driver for DEI several years before he got hooked up with Roush. You won't find a nicer, more well mannered young man. Congratulations Trevor and all the Wood Brothers employees!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It was a good race. Can't feel bad about a storybook ending. The Woods bros. and a 20 year old kid that now has a great future. Yep, it was a good race.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
good race

Real different "500" racing. Never knew who was going to wreck next or who was going to hook up with who! JR. is just "snake bit", but he was up there and had a chance. Great win for the Wood Bros. and the very young man. But a FORD won:evil

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I'm finally back from the race. I monitored most of the cars in the lead "pack" and can agree that is one level headed driver. It was good to see the Wood Brothers back as they are a great group of true gentlemen.
Jeremy, I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during Richard's team meeting this morning!!!
Oh, how about that national anthem and U.S. Air Force flyover!!!!!:cheers:cheers
What did you guys think? comments?
I believe Derry mentioned about the Woods Bros short schedule this year. Since the races that the 21 team will not attend this year are "out west" maybe Phil can sponsor them if they get a red car.
robert

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i usually catch the first few laps then wake up for the last few. this time, i was busy outside and only saw some of the middle. what the heck is that 2car drafting?????

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob: I should have guessed you would have asked that one. I had that phenomena explained to me in great detail in english. I would be a bit wordy and lengthy here so I'll try to call you tomorrow and explain how that works and why.
robert

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:dunno Robert we are all interested in the explaination, but if you don't want to type that much I would like a phone number cause our race team is as down force driven as they get.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Bob: I should have guessed you would have asked that one. I had that phenomena explained to me in great detail in english. I would be a bit wordy and lengthy here so I'll try to call you tomorrow and explain how that works and why.
robert

thanx Robert,
afraid i'll be plowing snow instead of on the phone.

it's real simple why. two cars= double the power with almost same wind resistance.

two car trains go faster than single cars can.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
What I don't understand is why 2 cars running together run faster the 3 or more cars running together. :dunno Help me out here DQ.

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
Basicly the way I understand it is that the wind resistance gets divided among the # of cars running nose to tail, so with two cars it gets divided in half, compared to one quarter with for cars, meaning that 2 cars together have half the wind resistance of one car reduced where as 4 cars have only one quarter of the wind resistance reduced reduced thus making them slower. I could be completly wrong though just the way it was explained to me.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
DQ the second article was a bit technical but on a bit different subject. The FR9 is a bit superior in the cooling which was obvious Sunday..
Big Block Willy your reading is as I understand it is the technical reason but the how it works is a bit techie and lengthy as explained to me "in english" down there.
The "offset corner" drafting that occurred in the tri-oval was interesting to observe from above. But I can assure everyone when Danica Patrick and Clint Boyer passed several cars in 3 and 4 Saturday afternoon when they rocketed down the tri-oval there was no offset drafting that lap. They looked like the 2nd 4bbl was used coming out of 4:eek::eek:
robert
Derry I'll pm you

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Freight Train

If 2 cars have 1/2 the resistance and 4 cars only 1/4 the resistance the twice as much horsepower of the 4 cars should make up for the 1/4 of resistance. :crazy:roll:roll NASCAR at it's best.:beerbang

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I didn't see the race, sounds like I should have made the effort. It always intrigues me when someone is upset that a certain badge car wins or looses. In what way does any of the cars running resemble what you or I could buy in the showroom? Are there any factory parts in these cars at all anymore? :dunno

bigblockwilly

Well Known Member
Quickshift, I am far from a technical expert and am just as puzzled as you are about that, but it would seem to me that you would have to bring mass into the equation. One car is using most of its power to push its own mass around the track and only has a small amount of power to push (espically because these motors are all with in about 5 to 10 percent of each other), thats why air resistance plays such a big part. As I said I am far from an expert on the subject, and this is just my interpertation of information in my limited knowlge.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Shan the whole drafting thing is interesting and not fully understood until "it's tried in race conditions" Jeremy could enlighten us... but the two car success reason is basically where "the air" goes and how concentrated it is after it passes over the 2nd car and the location of the second car in race conditions.
I'm not sure how effective the tv version of that race was to observe but from where I was it was apparent what did and what did not work during the race, plus listening to the spotters.

I'll stick to "lumens" or Honey Bunches at Phils.!!:cheers
robert