Worst paint ever

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I painted a 32 Roadster back in 2002. using Acrylic Lacquer

First seven top coats straight black, next 4 coats 75% black 25% clear, next 4 coats 50-50, final 6 coats 25% black 75% clear.

let the paint cure for close to 12 months then rub it back and polished it, the depth in the paint job was outstanding, when I painted my 38 I didn't mix it I went for straight colour, next car I paint I will be going back to the mixing colour with clear.

Don I will get a picture of my garage door. :)
You probably meant to paint it that many times though, didn't you Grub?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Mearl, I'm sure sorry to hear and see that. I hope it looks better than you imagined when you redo it.

Grub, that is just amazing. I bet you are glad it was a little '32 and not a BIG car.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Jason, 2 gallons of Black and nearly 1 gallon of clear. And the 32 was a fenderless Hiboy.
I have a 33 coupe to do in the next year or so, I better start saving my pennies.

I did Mearl, I am sure your paint will work out, at the end of the day the stuff is just high tech glue. Just means a little more material and a little more work.

ken smith

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to hear about your paint job....maybe I can help ( I work at my part time job for a PPG dealer) I have painted all of my hot rods and a few others ( in my garage ) Have used lacquer , base coat /clear coat and single stage. If you tell me what type of paint you're using and the temp of the day you're spraying I should be able to tell you what nozzle for each type of paint ( primer , sealer,base color,clear etc.)Also can tell you what temp grade for reducers and thinners....hop this helps!

bobs409

Administrator
Come on Phil, tell about the paint job you stripped a couple of times with a razor blade.:rolleyes:doh

I did that once! Way back I painted a few panels on my 72 Chevelle which at the time was a brown metallic. I put the second coat on the trunk lid too fast and it alligatored. This is when I learned ALL about flash time! :D

I took a new razor blade the next day and peeled that paint off in ribbons! Had the whole thing down to primer in about a minute flat! It would be cool if you could do that with old paint, would make stripping a car fast and even fun! :D

Last edited:

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I've been told the razor blade is a good way to strip a Corvette but I'm not ready to start on the 72 yet.
Grub, if you want to bring those doors over, we can blast them with the dustless blaster.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've been told the razor blade is a good way to strip a Corvette but I'm not ready to start on the 72 yet.
Grub, if you want to bring those doors over, we can blast them with the dustless blaster.
Don't do it.
I've seen them with so many gouges it defeats the purpose.
I've stripped several corvettes and always use chemical stripper with no problems. Might consider Walnut shells or similar light abrasive but very carefully and with low pressure.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I stripped my 1992 Chevy pickup with a razor blade, most of it came off in "ribbons".

When we did the Corvette years ago we used a plastic abrasive that removed all the paint and primer right down to the gel coat. Fiberglass can warp as well, be careful on those projects.

In Mearl's case he will be block sanding, I suspect :(. Not like you haven't done it enough already!

I need to come your way sometime this Fall to see all your projects :).

Cheers!
TomK

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Starting to sound like a deal in the making :D Although I think I would rather build the barn than sand the car.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I am putting the 61 back to almost stock for show purposes but not taking the two fours off! I'll take my points hit for them if the engine judge knows what he is looking at! I have to repaint the stock covers and want the correct color but I aint using my garage door to test the color. I think I have a good color rendition.
Robert