Z-11 Fast back Novas?

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What ever happened to the Z-11 powered fast-back Novas? Are any of them still arround? I don't think I've ever heard anything about the whereabouts of any of them.
Ross

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I never knew those existed. I learn something new here everyday.:bow

RCE1962

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's a shot of Platt's Z-11 Fastback:brow Great looking machine...

Attachments

• Nova Fastback Z11 Platt.jpg
    Nova Fastback Z11 Platt.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 230

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Great pics, guys!! I wonder how the roof was made? It almost looks like an AMC Marlin roof was grafted on. Wouldn't it be cool to make one and fit it with an '09 stroker!?:brow
Ross

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Kinda looks like a Baracuda roof.
Would be great to see it at several angles !!,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I spoke too soon !! Found pictures and history ,,, Should have known NovaResources would have it !!

In 1963, Chevrolet created three fastback Novas for road race competition. The Novas were all convertibles pulled from the regular production line. They were then shipped to the Corvette plant for the addition of fiberglass parts. The doors, inner panels, front fenders, hood and both front and rear bumpers were all 'glass. The new roof and fastback was also made of fiberglass and bonded to the metal. The fastback covered what would have been the trunk lid and blocked all access to the trunk area from the outside.

After a 1963 Corvette independent rear suspension was also added, the cars were shipped to Bill Thomas in California. Chevrolet also shipped the "Mystery Motors", that later ended up with Smokey Yunick, to Bill to be installed in the Novas. Bills job was to install the engines and setup the suspension for road racing. Before the Novas could be completed, GM put a ban on all factory racing.

GM ordered the cars crushed but Bill worked out a deal to keep the cars as payment for his work. The engines were sent back to Chevrolet and then to Smokey Yunick in Florida. He then sold one Nova to Fritz Callier, a Chevrolet dealer in Dallas,to be drag raced. Another one was sold to a Los Angeles Chevrolet dealer who drag raced it for less than two months before crashing it and totally destroying it. The third was sold to Alan Green Chevrolet in Seattle.

Alan Green also drag raced the Nova with driver Dick Milner and crew chief Tom Foster. Green, Milner and Foster raced the Nova at drag strips throughout the northwest United States and western Canada from 1963 until 1967. During one race the fastback roof blew off at 155 mph. The team then ventilated the rear section to keep the car from wanting to fly above 150 mph.

These fastback Novas sport a roofline similar to, but predating, that of the Plymouth Barracuda, AMC Marlin, 1966 Dodge Charger and about half of the late-1960's-era Fords. Fastbacks were popular with buyers in the later 60's, but aerodynamic efficiency on the race track was the main concern of Chevrolet engineers. Ironically, even though they were built to be road raced, all three of the fastback Novas spent almost their entire racing lives on the drag strip.
Link and other pictures,,,Scroll down to the bottom,,,,dq http://www.novaresource.org/history.htm

Attachments

• Resize of novafb1.jpg
    Resize of novafb1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 188

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
These Thomas cars were cool...interesting that Hubert Platts car has a 65 front end and what looks to be trim mouldings on it..unless they are painted on..

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Platt's Nova.

That was Huston Platt's car. Hubert drove Fords. Huston drove Chevys. Brothers, but different car lovers, I guess. Huston was later involved in an accident. Don't know what happened after that. Hubert stayed in racing, and is still involved somewhat, today. I know he has been inducted into several halls of fame.

Fred

oil4kids

Well Known Member
heres a photo of Dick Harrell vs CKC Fritz Callier's FAstback Nova in the far lane

Attachments

• Harrell Nickey 66 ChevyII, Callier SSDI (b).jpg
    Harrell Nickey 66 ChevyII, Callier SSDI (b).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 237

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
oil4kids said:
heres a photo of Dick Harrell vs CKC Fritz Callier's FAstback Nova in the far lane

Man,,, That turns the ol` grapes to raisins!!!!!! :eek:

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dick Harrell

Dick had the trunk loaded up on that one. The consumate showman. Gave the crowd a thrill, win or lose. But, seldom lost.

Fred

M

MK IISS

When the black H. Platt car was updated with a '65 front end the Z11 427 was replaced with a Mk IV.

odie15

mystery motor

Here is a picture of a 1963 Mystery Motor for one of the fastback Nova's

Attachments

• 14922.jpg
    14922.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 156

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okay odie, enough is enough!!!!! You pop on the scene with the wildest W-head Ive ever seen and then for good measure , you just happen to have a 63 Mystery motor???? The surroundings are similar for both motors. That means you either have the mystery motor or have had it in your shop. I can tell that you value your privacy, and I can respect that, but it wont hurt to throw us a few bones. How about a little info?? the mystery motor looks ready to run, maybe Nostalgia car? :dunno :dunno

odie15

Mystery Motor

Ronnie, The Mystery Motor in the picture is going into one of the remaining fastback nova's. The current owner is restoring it back to road race config. He plans on vintage racing the car mostly on the west coast. This motor is one of two that we have built for him. You can view some more photo's at
http://www.toeperf.com/427mystery.htm . We tried to build these on the mild side to maintain reliability.(replacement blocks, heads, intakes are pretty hard to find). On the dyno they made 569 hp at 6000 rpm and 546 ft-lbs at 4500 rpm.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tony, Thanks for the reply. I spent an hour on your web-site and am in awe of your operation. We appreciate your posts and pictures and look forward to any communication in the future. Hope the 348 wasnt your last W-head. California is such a big market that I hope you will build some "big" 409s in the future. Thanks again,,,,,,