Attachments

• 62hayden.jpg
    62hayden.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 246

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hayden

What year was it that Hayden was DQd at the nationals? I remember being there, and saw it. I could swear it was 62, but too many in here think he won in 62. I remember he was coming back the return strip right in front of the crowd, when it was announced that " just to show we have no favorites, we have just disqualified Hayden Proffitt for running fuel". I know I saw it, just not sure when I saw it! I don't think I was at Indy in 64, as I was playing with Uncle Sam. 65 is possible, but I'm also thinking he was driving a Chevy when this happened. I do know he sued NHRA over it and won. Had Gulf Crest in the car from California, and put Sunoco 260 in it out here. Or the reverse. The fuel equipment they had then wasn't good enough to tell that it wasn't " FUEL " . HELP me on this!

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hayden, again

Phil Reed, next time you talk to Hayden, ask about this. I'm sure it was on Hayden's Comet, on the lower rear quarter, there was a picture of an ape, being chased by a guy running after him with a tube of Preparation H. As I remember, Jack Chrisman was running a direct drive car, maybe a digger, that had the drive shaft come out. It sort of ate pretty good on the lower rear side of his anatomy. Hayden had to prod him a bit, so had his painter put this on the car. It wasn't funny, unless you knew the story behind it. It was hilarious! Doubt Chrisman thought so, though!
We were way more serious back here about our racing. We would never have thought of something like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
California had it all, darn it.

Fred

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hayden

Fred:

I believe Hayden was DQ'd in 1962 for Class. He said he wanted both the Class win and Eliminator titles. I'll ask him.

I'll also ask him about the ape!! He didn't tell me that story!! We need to get a tape recorder in front of him!!

I'm going to start a new post on the Hayden Proffit No. 612 contest. We need to get a winner!!!

Later.

Phil

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
the contest

I was so sure of my birthday answer, I PM'd to you the answer to the Lion's Drag Strip question the night before the other guy's got the answer.

I had planned on putting the autographed photo on my site's main page.

:mad: :) :) :)

:cool:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Wrench

Sorry to see your post!! I never received any email form you about the answer!! I would certainly have honored your answer.

Email me and we'll see if you can't get something for your website!!!

Phil

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hayden in a 69 red bel air

Just wanted to post a photo with Hayden with a RED '69 Chevy 2 -door.
Hope you like it.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
TTT!!!!!!
I was checking what was being watched by our members and someone was watching this thread!!! WOW.......my first post!!!! Oct 2003. That's not why I'm posting this. It's all about Hayden and posts from Fred Totten. The stories are priceless!!! Will be great for our newer members. Enjoy!!!
And Raj was here.......63Z-11.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I'd love to have a copy of that photo in my mancave (the smallest third bedroom in the house). Anyone know where I could get a large print of it?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What photo Tom?????

Gee, guess I've rambled too long for my first post. But if you've read this far, I would like to offer up a contest question for my first time here. I will mail FREE OF CHARGE, an autographed picture of Hayden in the replica 62 409 Belair, to the first person who posts the correct answer to the following question:

What does Hayden's number 612 on all his race cars stand for? It's real interesting!!!

This would be a good picture Phil

Have you still got a copy of this (doesnt need to be autographed)

Steve

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
What photo Tom?????

This one:

62hayden_zpsaf0f0e20.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I figured the picture was of you and Hayden kissing Phil?

Haven't read this before, great stories. Most of the things done back in these years would easily end you up in jail today.

Don

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I thought it was some red pepper hot sauce or something like that, at least that's what I remember Hayden telling me that in the car when I drove him to the airport.

About the DQ deal at the US nationals, that was in '63. Hayden's '63 Plymouth was DQ'd do to not running pump gas or something stupid. The Ramchargers were behind that one after when Hayden gave them a scare at Detroit Dragway right before the nationals in '63 and shutting down their 413 Dodge the year prior for stock eliminator in the red '62 409.

Last edited:

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I was getting caught up on some overdue reading, I'm kind of slow anyway.
Ok really overdue, Drag News March 16, 1963. In the paper I found the article below about a rumor of Chevrolet pulling out of racing. As I finished the article and turned the page I discovered something else, the Top Three Places for Mr. Stock Eliminator. First Place was Tom Sturm in a 1963 Z-11, Second Place was Bourgeois-Wade & Lenke in a 1963 Z-11 and "drum roll here please", Third Place was Frank Sanders in a 1963 Z-11. What???? All three top places not only Chevrolets, but all Z-11 cars, incredible.

So, I thought it appropriate that I take a photo of the winners in the paper on top of a 1963 Z-11 engine, look closely to the right side. Too bad Chevrolet top management did not recognize what they had and how "Win on Sunday/Sell on Monday" really meant something.
What a time to have been racing!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
]30580[/ATTACH]image.jpg