1959-1963 cowl tags

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's the other photos of the car when I recorded them. I don't think it was a level air car, but it does have positraction, and maybe the LA code means that the body was to be shipped to LA for final assembly? Can you see any obvious options that OA might stand for?
Got it! The OA code must be Optional Axle since Fisher would need to install the positraction emblem on the dash. Wish somebody had a pic of the trunk lid or engine to verify the LA code.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There's another "OA" on a 59 which would have a positraction emblem on the dash if that's what it represents. I don't have a 59 assembly manual but my 60 AIM does not show the positraction emblem on the dash for RPO 675 limited slip axle so probably Fisher Body would have no need to code it in 1960 unless they needed it to remind them to install the paper posi sticker in the trunk and the tag on the axle.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Seems like I always have trouble posting pictures. These cars were scrapped about 30 years ago. Thought you might use the info on them.
Thanks Jerry, those two 60 sport coupes are effectively identical cars built at Flint and St Louis, same paint, interior and options, both 283 cars with tinted glass. As Cecil mentioned, the 58 (not a 59) has the OA code which is very common on 58's built at St Louis as 3 of the 4 tags I've recorded from St Louis have this code. Need more research on complete cars to confirm if it's for Optional Axle posi.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
OK, looks like I misread that one. I thought it was 59 but on further examination (with my glasses on) it is a 58 so belay my last post.
I have searched my 58 and 60 AIMS and so far haven't found anything showing the Positraction emblem on the golvebox door on 58 or the dash on 59-60. I know I've seen it before and it is a real part but for some reason I can't find it.

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I had an original 1958 348 tri-power impala that had factory Posi traction. Dated coded correct it matched the other dates of the car. There was NO Posi emblem on the dash. I found one at a swap meet and added it. I bought the entire glove box to get the Posi emblem so I had the correct hole pattern. This was many years ago and I no longer have the car. Not sure why there was no emblem on the dash. Mid year edition? Only certain assembly plants installed the emblem? Wish I still had the car. I will check my pics to see if I have a shot of the data tag. Sold it in a divorce. Damn women.