1959-1963 cowl tags

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Here’s what I found……….

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
As if you didn’t have enough to do originality is not a thing with me ….this car will not be restored , so you can use the information for your database or whatever it is that information that you collect…… I understand the rest of the tag the only things I don’t understand are the accessories if you would feel so inclined….. thank you ahead of time……This was a manual steering manual brakes manual everything….. including the transmission, was a 340 horse 409, with a bench seat and a posi traction rear……It does have a dash pad…….
50C6EB09-D89B-4D3E-A420-7D605A8E9A95.jpeg

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Carl,
This is the Belair I am looking at.
This is a Palomar red Belair 2-door sedan built 3rd week February 63 at Atlanta GA with red cloth and vinyl interior, tinted glass, rear speaker and comfort and convenience package (day/night mirror, driver's side RV mirror, 2-speed wiper/washer, trunk light and reverse lights).

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Carl,
This is the Belair I have now. Curious about the "5" after trim & the "24C" after paint. Could not find the ACC code either.
This is a tuxedo black Belair 2-door sedan built 4th week December 62 at Kansas City with red cloth and vinyl interior and a tinted windshield (A02). The 5 after the trim code is the broadcast code for red interior, which a couple of Fisher plants coded, but I'm not sure why when the actual trim code is right there. The 24 is the broadcast date, so Christmas eve 1962, which aligns with the week/month date code. The C is a mystery.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
As if you didn’t have enough to do originality is not a thing with me ….this car will not be restored , so you can use the information for your database or whatever it is that information that you collect…… I understand the rest of the tag the only things I don’t understand are the accessories if you would feel so inclined….. thank you ahead of time……This was a manual steering manual brakes manual everything….. including the transmission, was a 340 horse 409, with a bench seat and a posi traction rear……It does have a dash pad…….
Thanks Keith, I store photos of all the tags I can get to compare dates and codes so I can figure out options. I store them in a database with the owner's name so I know who I got it from. The codes on your ACC line are for tinted windshield, padded dash and 4-speed. the 24 relates to the broadcast date, which effectively means that your car was built April 24th, 1963 at Van Nuys CA. Nice score to get original 409 with 4-speed.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Carl. Was always curious what the 25 on the accessory line was for on the impala? On the Biscayne does the 8 and C have any meaning after the paint code?

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Thanks Carl. Was always curious what the 25 on the accessory line was for on the impala? On the Biscayne does the 8 and C have any meaning after the paint code?
The 25 on the Impala's tag is the date code (October 25th) and the same as the 8 after the trim code on the Biscayne, which means February 8th. All KC cars have the C after the date code, but it's a bit meaningless if they all have it, so it's still a mystery.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Keith, I store photos of all the tags I can get to compare dates and codes so I can figure out options. I store them in a database with the owner's name so I know who I got it from. The codes on your ACC line are for tinted windshield, padded dash and 4-speed. the 24 relates to the broadcast date, which effectively means that your car was built April 24th, 1963 at Van Nuys CA. Nice score to get original 409 with 4-speed.
Thank you sir…….I wasn’t sure on the 24 …..the biggest reason being the 4C
To me which should’ve meant the third week of April but the 24th would be the fourth week in April ……..I’m so confused……:wacko……..The 24th was a Wednesday in the fourth week of the month

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Thank you sir…….I wasn’t sure on the 24 …..the biggest reason being the 4C
To me which should’ve meant the third week of April but the 24th would be the fourth week in April ……..I’m so confused……:wacko……..The 24th was a Wednesday in the fourth week of the month
Van Nuys had a strange way of dating their tags in the 1961-63 time period, their date code on the cowl tag always changed on a Wednesday. This means that some date codes don't align with the calendar. April 24th was a Wednesday so the date code should have been 4D, but this car might have been started on the afternoon of April 23, so it got a 4C cowl tag, but wasn't finished until the next day - April 24th, hence why the code 24 is on the tag. This is the same for all Van Nuys cowl tags for this time period and took a very long time to figure out.