1959 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe project

'59Imp

Well Known Member
So next thing on the list to do to the '59 after I get her road-worthy is to restore the interior.
Why this is next on the list is because the interior is bad. Really bad.
Here I will go into detail: (there is photos to show what I am talking about).
The interior is all original. Original copper color.

The carpet is gone. Totally gone. It looks like to me someone removed whatever was left of it a long time ago. So it is just the bare floor boards now, at least there is no rust on the floor boards.

The door panels are worn/ripped up.

The headliner has a few holes/rips in it.

The seats' upholstery is all torn and faded. Front seat is worse than the back seat. The front seat has seat covers on the top half of the seats because underneath the seat covers is just pretty much is the bare foam- the upholstery is all torn up. Same thing for the bottom half of the seat. I now have large towels on the seat because when I sat on the front seat without seat covers on it, the seats are so bad, you have little bits of the last of the seat upholstery and the seat foam coming with you stuck to your pants when you get off the seat/out of the car.

The back seat isn't as bad as the front seat, at least the seat upholstery isn't all completely ripped up like compared to the front seat.

The seat springs are really bad too. The springs make a lot of noise when you sit down on the seats. Both the front and rear seat springs are like this.
Bad thing is I have not found new front/rear seat springs for a '59 Chevy Impala. Anyone know where I can get new seat springs??? Or would my best bet to have an upholstery shop repair my seat springs???

Is this a good place to get new '59 Chevy Impala interior upholstery???
http://www.ciadellainteriors.com/products.php

Now time for photos! :pics:D
So these are actually photos of when we bought the car in Arizona. It shows you how the car used to look. Because now I have seat covers on the car, and I wanted to show you how the interior actually looks like without the seat covers on it...
So here is the photos:
Door panel: (I do have the chrome thing that goes in front of the armrest. I just don't have it on right now because I was going to restore the interior 1st).
'59 Impala 3.jpg

Front floorboards: (More proof this car was a manual instead of an automatic- look at the brake pedal. It is a manual brake pedal).
'59 Impala 14.jpg

Seats:
'59 Impala 15.jpg

Seats: (All of the seat chrome is there, the chrome is just hiding under the top seat cover).
'59 Impala 16.jpg

Headliner:
'59 Impala 19.jpg

Headliner: (Even though it does not look like it from this photo, both of the dome lights work. I believe the battery was disconnected during this photo).

'59 Impala 20.jpg

Last edited:

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Jackie, nice job on getting the pics uploaded :clap. Those AZ cars really get sunburned. I will take a tired interior over rust any day. The body looks to be pretty solid. Carry on.

Thanks! :)
There is actually a bit of rust in the trunk. Since I figured out how to post pictures I will post some pictures of my cars trunk.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Nice spare.

Don

Thanks Don.
I actually posted the photos for all to see my car's trunk and the rust in it.
Funny how you noticed my car's spare tire... That is one thing that I hope that I will never have to use! :drive:burnout

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's not bad rust ! You could stand on the ground in my trunk and not touch metal :crazy and see the ground in all four floor pans. Just need someone who can weld and they are fixable.

Keep moving forward you will get there.

Bill

'59Imp

Well Known Member
That's not bad rust ! You could stand on the ground in my trunk and not touch metal :crazy and see the ground in all four floor pans. Just need someone who can weld and they are fixable.

Keep moving forward you will get there.

Bill

Wow, that's too bad about your car's rust... :(

'59Imp

Well Known Member
So yesterday (Sunday) I jacked the car up to see underneath...
So I found my car's leaks:
Found out where the fuel line is leaking from. (yes, that was another one of my car's leaks) It was leaking from the line connecting into the fuel line because it had those clips that are prone to leaking. Got that fixed with better connectors. :)
One of my car's bigger leaks is coming from the oil filter because it has the bad type (in my opinion) of oil filter- the canister type. It's leaking real bad right now- I think someone didn't put it in right. Those things are tricky. So how I need to fix it is I need to get a oil filter conversion kit to convert it over to the spin-on type.
Also, thankfully I think the transmission leak has stopped. Why I think it was leaking in the 1st place is because when I had her shipped up from Arizona, she was on the rear on the car-hauler, so the front of her was facing uphill for an extended period of time.
So I think what happened to make the transmission leak was being uphill, the tranny fluid was of course sent to the rear of the tranny pan, and then the fluid was leaking out of the gasket. And so why I was seeing the leaks is because it was the residual fluid leaking out from the gasket because now the leaking has pretty much stopped.

Also what I did yesterday was after I got her back down on the ground, I took her for a cruise around the block. :D I do have her registered, but I don't have the license plates yet so the piece of paper they give you to put in your back window before the plates arrive is what I have. I didn't take her very far though because I still don't have all of the wiring solved yet and also the windshield is still cracked.
But it was really fun to take her out on the road- even for the very short time. And the speedometer works too. :D She drives good too. She's really fun to drive.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i like the canister filters. just make sure you replace the square shape gasket at the top. and make sure there is not more than one. jmho jim

'59Imp

Well Known Member
i like the canister filters. just make sure you replace the square shape gasket at the top. and make sure there is not more than one. jmho jim

Sorry Jim,
I just don't like the canister filters. I guess everyone has their own preferences...

'59Imp

Well Known Member
So everyone I need help here as soon as possible...
I am going to be ordering parts for my car tomorrow morning.
So one of the many things that I will be needing to order is a new brake light switch. (My brake lights don't work when I hit the brake.)
So I am ordering from Eckler's and I found 2 brake light switches, but are both different in price and also by how the 2 parts look.
So I am not that familiar with '59 Impala parts yet, and honestly, I don't know which brake light switch is the correct one to buy.
Here is the link, so you tell me...

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/1959+...trical.html/electrical_switches.html&limit=96

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Before you order, take a test light and touch each of the terminals on your switch. One should light the tester if current is coming to the switch. Then push the brake pedal and test the other terminal. If it does not light, bad switch. If it does light, then the problem probably will be in the turn signal switch under the steering wheel.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
The problem with that Ron is that I don't even know where to look for the brake light switch. I believe that it is gone/someone removed it...

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The brake light switch is attached to the brake pedal assembly. If you look under the dash it will be pretty obvious.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why don't you go out to the wrecking yard that Bill told you about and get a brake light switch out of another car?