1959 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe project

'59Imp

Well Known Member
The picture showed me to buy the right part, thanks.
I have looked on my car but I have not found it. I don't know why someone removed it, but they did...

'59Imp

Well Known Member
But to find a '59 Impala that I need the brake light switch out of...
I don't want to buy a part from another car that was not a '59 Impala and then find out the part will not fit...

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Those guys can help you get the correct part. They have the books to look it up.

'59Imp

Well Known Member
I don't know if a '60 is there at the junkyard close by here either... I will be looking though... :)

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Your welcome. I know you said you fixed your fuel line, did you notice if it came out from under the upper control arm and if it was 5/16" or 3/8"?

I am sorry Dan but this is one of the things that I am super horrible at.
I am super horrible at measuring those type of numbers on parts. I just plain and simple can't identify stuff like that.
The only way I can identify these type of measurements is when they are printed on, like tools.
So if you are wondering how on Earth I take apart bolts/nuts and stuff like that is I guess on what size it is and I take out a whole bunch of tools and see which one fits.

So long story short- I don't know what size it is. And since the fuel line is a round tube, I don't know how I can accurately size it trying to use a square-shaped tool...

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The reason I am asking is the 3/8" fuel line was only used on 348 and is one way to identify a 348 car. Here is a 3/8" fuel line and how it is routed. Is your cars fuel line routed the same? Hope this helps.

348 Modified Front Fuel Line1 (1).jpg 348 Modified Front Fuel Line2.jpg

'59Imp

Well Known Member
Ok that will help Dan.
I would go see it now but my car isn't in a garage, she's outside, and it is dark out now. I will look tomorrow, and see what I see. I am sure that will help out though Dan. Thanks.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Jackie, another way to I D the small 5/16" fuel line (that was used on the 6 cyl. and 283 engine cars only) is to look on top of the frame rail on the passenger side forward of the fire wall/heater box area. The small 5/16" fuel line will be routed alongside the even smaller dia. brake line on top of the frame, about an inch apart. Easy to see.

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your brake light switch is a very "stock" GM part, used on many GM vehicles for many years. If you look at Ecklers site, one switch says 58-64, the other says 58-76, it is likely the same on a Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Chev, cars, trucks, you name it. You can pick it up locally at NAPA, etc.

It is a simple button switch, button out you have power to the lights, button in, no power. It mounts on a bracket on the steering column, and the wires that connect to it should be hanging there somewhere. That bracket should be there for you to see, with or without the push button switch, the button goes up against the side of the brake pedal facing toward you when you are sitting behind the wheel. You need the bracket to mount the switch. If you find the 2 wires, tape them together and your brake lights should be on, if you want to make sure they are working while you wait for a switch.

Like Dan says, much of the new stuff is poor quality Chinese stuff and a good used part is very often better. If you have a good junk yard close by, go there and get familiar with what they have there. Take pictures of any cars there and of any cars you get parts off, it may help you to look at them in future when you need more parts or need to figure out how something fits on your car.

Take pics too of all of anything you are working on before you take it apart, very helpful to put it back together. And, if you have it apart very long and can't find a part you think you took off, you can see if it was there in the first place.

Take pictures of all the area under you dash by the brake pedal and post them here, we may be able to see what you are seeing. If you have the shop manual now or soon, the wiring diagram is coded to tell you the colour of those 2 wires that go to the brake light switch.

Keep asking questions, we all love to answer them.

Don

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jackie, just my two cents worth, can you see the brake light switch wires hanging under the dash? If the switch has been removed, the wires should be hanging there. Look for a small mounting bracket for the brake light switch. If the bracket is missing, you might be better off looking at the salvage yard for the switch and bracket. If the brackets and wires are there, then you might try your local auto parts store for the switch. Also, an easy way to measure the diameter of a steel fuel or brake line is to use an open end wrench. Just take a 5/16" and 3/8" wrench and see what the smallest size is that fits over the line.
Best of luck,
Jim

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Like Jim says you can use a open end wrench to make the measurement on the fuel line. Remember your measuring the diameter of the tube it does not mater if it's round or square
image001.png