1960 Pontiac Ventura

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Great, the 60 caps are really difficult to find. I just bought a set of 15" wheels and I'm looking for some 61 caps. Had a set and didn't have foresight enough to keep them.
we used to step the lower control arms on my circle track race cars just like you are doing. Never had one break

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great, the 60 caps are really difficult to find. I just bought a set of 15" wheels and I'm looking for some 61 caps. Had a set and didn't have foresight enough to keep them.
we used to step the lower control arms on my circle track race cars just like you are doing. Never had one break
Yeah I have been holding on to them for some time.
Stepping the control arm was common back in the day. I also made it 5/16" shorter to compensate for the rise of the upper control arm and it will also give me better camber adjustment.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, Just my curiosity, but are you aware of Ian Roussel from Full Custom Garage ? JMO, but anyone who has ever used a welder should record every episode he has ever done. His skill reminds me of your work.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, Just my curiosity, but are you aware of Ian Roussel from Full Custom Garage ? JMO, but anyone who has ever used a welder should record every episode he has ever done. His skill reminds me of your work.
Ronnie,
I have never seen that show or heard of him. I am just your average hot rodder next door. I know another guy from down Texas way that builds one hell of a W engine...:brow

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ronnie,
I have never seen that show or heard of him. I am just your average hot rodder next door. I know another guy from down Texas way that builds one hell of a W engine...:brow
I have never used a welder. Thought about taking some classes, but instead I bought a Mig from a very close friend. He gave me a great deal on his whole set-up and is even going to teach me to use it. He does good work, but certainly not professional so I probably need to watch those videos (after I've learned some basics). Hopefully I'll remember to find them later. I'm sure glad I know that guy in Texas you're talking about Dan. He has been my go-to and final word so many times. We're all blessed to have him for a friend. (Heard he has a nice fish pond too!)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A few more details. First I want to show how to remove coil springs as it seems this issue comes up quite often and those damn spring compressors don't work woth a damn.
First I lossen the upper ball joint nut so it has about 1/8" gap between it and the spindle boss then I do the same on the lower ball joint. Then I take a BFH and hit the pad cast into the top spindle boss that is there just for this purpose to loosen the ball joint taper. This is with the suspension hanging (see pic).
20150125_114816.jpg
Next I jack up under the lower control arm until it is in the ride hight position (see pic).
20150125_114756.jpg
Then take the BFH again and hit the pad on the bottom of the spindle boss until the ball joint taper breaks (see pics)
20150125_114838.jpg
20150125_114910.jpg
20150125_115048.jpg
20150125_115154.jpg
20150125_115311.jpg
You will see the spindle fall down on both the upper and lower ball joint nuts. Now remove the nuts and remove the spindle (see pic)
20150125_115437.jpg
Now simply let the jack down slowly until the spring has completely expanded. Reverse the process to install. I hope this helps.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good write up Dan. That's the way I take mine out, but had to use the compressor to put springs back as they were too tall to get in the pocket otherwise. Getting the compressor back out after I get the spring installed is the hard part.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okay a few more details on the lower control arm. I have it all fabbed up and tacked together. The next step is to do a trial fit to the car. If there are any issues now is the time to find them before final welding. Here it is and it looks as if everything is going to work well.
Also I bought a set of brackets from Scarebird for 1959-64 Pontiac.
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=common/home This does two things, allows you to put disc brakes on your stock spindles and swap out the old roller bearings to a tapered bearing. That's a good thing...:clap. The standard scarebird kit for 59-64 Pontiac uses off the shelf parts and a 77' Bonneville 12" rotor. This is a big car and needs big breaks. I chose to go with a 1LE rotor from late 80's-early 90's Camaro/Firebird also a 12" rotor but uses a much larger outer bearing and has a 5X4-3/4 bolt circle. I purchased the rotors, corvette duel master and booster with correct lever bracket from Mike (1958 delivery) here. Here are a few pics.

Last edited:

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Nice work Dan. I see you have a project that you don't have to retrofit the rearend to an Olds/Pontiac. Have you decided on the gears your going to run? Thanks for taking the time to upload the pic's. Good Luck!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice work Dan. I see you have a project that you don't have to retrofit the rearend to an Olds/Pontiac. Have you decided on the gears your going to run? Thanks for taking the time to upload the pic's. Good Luck!
This car has 2:87's I'm going to run them for now to see how it works.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Dan.........Any updates on the 60? :)
Well I just kept cleaning and cleaning and was laying on my back scraping the 55 years of grease and dirt and the next thing I knew the body was off the frame. Figured it was easier to detail that way. So then I pulled the engine so I could detail it. Next thing I know I have it tore down and at the machine shop...:facepalm So to make a long story short it's getting a frame off. I figured I could do it in about 9 months but its looking like closer to a year. Interior is all done in factory reproduction materials, just waiting for the door panels that are suppose to be done by the first part of June. Almost everything for the chassis is done and I am in assembly mode now. I just need to assemble my 3:23 posi unit and will have a rolling chassis. Frame, inner fenders,core support, control arms and all components are powdercoated and or painted and ready to go as well as carbs fuel, brake lines. As I said I am in assembly mode now. Then body and paint. I have been waiting to be a little further along with the project before I posted but here are a few pics.
20150508_103402.jpg 20150508_103328.jpg 20150427_183618.jpg 20150427_183655.jpg 20150215_171502.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Incredible!!! I'm always blown away at not only the speed at which many of you get things done, but also the outstanding build quality. :appl:clap:appl