1964 Impala SS 409

vega

Me and my father have a chance to buy a 64' Impala SS with a matching numbers 409. the motor is not with the car, but he was told that it had tri power (3x2 carbs) my father and i both didnt think it possible to be factory like that. he called up a friend who knew a little bit more about the muscle cars of the early 60s and he got very excited to hear it had 3x2, he said they came from the factory as a special order. Im guessing this car is EXTREAMLY rare , but can anyone varify that? and done correctly frame off resto, how much do you think it would be worth? thanks

-Vin

id also like to know things like exactly how many were made this way. anything anyone can share will be appreciated.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry

No 3X2bbl after 61, until the BBC 435 HP Corvette in 66 or 67. Never on a 409. All HIPO 409s were 2x4bbl or 1 4bbl. If that engine has 3 2bbl, it is a built up engine, or a 348.

vega

i wish i had the motor infront of me, and i wish i had already checked the authenticity of the matching numbers. then again it was the guys son who was talked to, he might have just seen more then one and assumed 3x2 he wasnt very sure of much, hopfully its a 2x4 then.

how rare are the 2x4s, and how valuable are they?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
need numbers

Look up the casting Numbers on this site. Then check the engine for the numbers. There can be some odd ball stuff put on it. If it's a real 64 409 engine, it could be a 340 horse, with 1 4bbl, a 400 horse with 1 4bbl AFB carb, or a 425 horse with 2 4bbl AFB carbs. They were not that rare, but a 400 or 425 HP engine will generally bring big bucks. It would have 690 or 583 heads on it. These numbers are under the valve covers. The intake would end in 881, if 2 4bbls and is not an Offy intake. Just about need casting numbers to guide you right. If the engine is what the guy says it is, he shouldn't mind letting you see the numbers. Casting number on the block is on the left rear.

Good luck

vega

SS425HP said:
Look up the casting Numbers on this site. Then check the engine for the numbers. There can be some odd ball stuff put on it. If it's a real 64 409 engine, it could be a 340 horse, with 1 4bbl, a 400 horse with 1 4bbl AFB carb, or a 425 horse with 2 4bbl AFB carbs. They were not that rare, but a 400 or 425 HP engine will generally bring big bucks. It would have 690 or 583 heads on it. These numbers are under the valve covers. The intake would end in 881, if 2 4bbls and is not an Offy intake. Just about need casting numbers to guide you right. If the engine is what the guy says it is, he shouldn't mind letting you see the numbers. Casting number on the block is on the left rear.

Good luck

i wish it was as easy as asking the owner but he past away, we are dealing with his son and wife, who dont know much about anything. ill attempt to get the casting numbers to see what this thing is really about. im thinking someone just saw more then 1 carb and had no idea what they were really looking at.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The numbers can make a big difference in the value. Just so you know.

vega

SS425HP said:
The numbers can make a big difference in the value. Just so you know.

numbers as in casting numbers? yea im hoping everything adds up to being original. How much would you expect a 4x2 car to go for? as a 100 point car.

No409

Supporting Member 1
if it was a 100 point resto, #`s matching 2x4 car, ide say easy35-50K

hopefully you can score it

Old School

Supporting Member 1
No409 said:
if it was a 100 point resto, #`s matching 2x4 car, ide say easy35-50K

hopefully you can score it

Cost of car: $10k
Cost of Restoration to 100 point level $50k+

Sale price at auction $45k

Explaining to wife how you lost $15k+ and one year of your life. -- Priceless

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Old School said:

:roll :roll :roll How true !!!

vega

Old School said:

lol, only the cost of the car is much less then 10K :) and the resto will be done by me and my father, in a bodyshop being built in our back yard so it wont be anywhere near 50K ( the motor and trans are already rebuilt ready to be dropped in, and included.)

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
vega...keep us informed as to the progress and costs....I used to live in Raleigh....Cary was a nice area when I was there

vega

cary still is very nice. im in raliegh almost every day (and most certainly on the weekends) ill keep everyone updated on the progress of the car as well as being a royal pain in the butt with questions :)

here is the first car me and my father did together
CHEVELLE_CARSHOW.jpg
1970 Chevelle SS 396 (402) sleeper build (ment for stock class at shows, but still wanted to have fun gettin there) not a matching numbers car though. We will strive to do better on this one seeing as it is.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That chevelle does look sharp in the picture so keep up the good work on the "09" car...good luck....You will find that this site will keep you informed about most everything due to the excellent experts:roll around. I believe you are the first person I have noticed from the Cary/Raleigh area. Any other 348/409's down there?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You'll want to read the #'s on the pass. front pad. A 64 should have the VIN # after the engine code. First letter of the code should be a Q. Casting # on rear will tell you the year. Post them here and some one will decifer for you. Best of luck. Sounds like a geat project either way. Bob