348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:yup
Maybe we could get a group together to help, I know where a shop is in K City area.

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I think he's ignoring us.
??????????????????????????????????????

Was in Great Bend from Sun. night to last night. You really can't say I was "ignoring" you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New details in the next couple of days. Cecil and Ray...................get current with your meds before I tell you what the City said MAY happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a lot if info to pass on but just heard this evening...that portions of our presentation to the City Council Monday night were recorded. If you want to hear...go to www.greatbendpost.com. That's the Great Bend newspaper. On the main page...click on Menu. Then click on Great Bend News. Go to the bottom of the first page and click on Next Page. Right now we are at the top of the second page...click on SRCA Drag Strip. You can click on the audio for Hank Denning who is President of SRCA and then me if you want for about a 30 second clip. I knew the meeting was taped but not for this reason. Hank said today he got a call from KSN TV in Wichita, from this recording, for an interview! We're on our way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
We now have 2 Host Hotels. A single hotel in Great Bend can't handle 200 of us so this is what I came up with.

Host Hotel #1: The Angus Inn Best Western. We currently have a block of 50 rooms. They have a lot of construction workers who stay there all week and have to have rooms for them. Depending...our block may be increased to 65 later. This is not promised so it would be best to get your reservation as soon as possible.
Angus Inn
2920 10th street
Great Bend, KS 67530
1-800-862-6487 This rings directly to the hotel..it is not a national reservation number.
bw2angus@bwangus.com is a website you can go to to see the virtual tour of the rooms if you wish.
This hotel does not have a complimentary breakfast like some do. The rooms in the front half of the hotel have exterior doors. The rooms are a little smaller than the other rooms but are very clean and nice. The rooms in the back half are all interior door rooms that open into a large atrium with tons of tables and chairs for "hanging out". Our rooms are in this section. East of the hotel, the Angus Inn has a 1/2 block paved area for truck parking that belongs to the Inn and a perfect place for trucks and trailers. On the west parking lot is a Perkins Restaurant for eating and The Page...a sports bar. I ate there Mon. evening and they have tons of sports memorabilia hanging on the walls. I tried to get permission to take a Mickey Mantle poster with me but couldn't get that handled!!
Prices...Exterior rooms 2 doubles or 1 king 1-4 adults $69.95 plus tax
Interior rooms 2 queens or 1 king 1-4 adults $74.95 plus tax.

Hotel #2: Comfort Inn. That's what Candy & I use a lot. We currently have a block of 30 rooms. Comfort Inn does have the complimentary breakfast every morning.
Great Bend Comfort Inn
911 Grant Street
Great Bend, KS 67530
1-620-603-6326 local number
Their rooms are $79.99 for a single queen or $87.99 for a double queen. The Comfort Inn has a cutoff date for these prices of Aug. 1, 2014

I was unsure of what to use for a code when you make your reservations but after much thought.......decided to pick 348-409 National Convention!!!!!!!!!!:bow:bow:clap:clap

If you will go the the SRCA Drag Strip website, www.srcadragstrip.com and click on lodging...they list every motel within a 60 mile radius.

I believe that's it for hotel information. If I've let anything out or if you have any questions...drop me a line.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Anyway...spent all day Monday checking out everything I could. Trying to get the race track "arranged" for our cars but the track is so big, we're not all going to be in one place. But more about that later. Since the track is so big, I've arranged for golf cart rentals for some of our older members....Dick and Cecil come to mind immediately!!!! Got a tent rented. Going to use Expo building for our Sunday brunch and for the high end show cars. I believe it's 10,000 square feet. SRCA is furnishing tables and chairs for our brunch.

Attended the City Council meeting Monday night. Met the right people to talk to. Met the Chief of Police and the city will provide patrol cars all thru the night at the drag strip and motel parking lots.

I met with the city coordinator Tuesday morning and the city is so excited to work with us to promote this event. She even wants to tape a TV spot to put on the local Great Bend channel!! I feel uncomfortable talking in front of people or a camera so...........I'm going to see if Ronnie or Butch would fly in and do this for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will do lots of advertising both in newsprint, website and radio. They are really going all out to help us.

Now.........she mentioned 2 things that are really, really interesting but have not been finalized at this time. So...these may or may not be happening. This is where Cecil and Fatride need to be up to speed on their meds!!! First..Cecil. Great Bend has a huge air show every 2 years and it's the last weekend of September. So they are talking about this year. The municipal airport is the east boundary for the race track. 2 years ago..they had 4000 attend!! The draw???? Lots of planes including a beautifully restored B-17 and a P-51 Mustang fighter. OF WHICH BOTH..............you can purchase rides!!!!!! I was shown pictures of both aircraft and they are absolutely beautiful!! Where else can you race your 409 and get a ride in a WW2 fighter plane???

Now...the other item that is being worked on...the coordinator was talking about having a "celebrity" who could be in both events and a "crowd pleaser". As she was telling her story I just shot my mouth off and said "What about last years Miss Kansas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She said that's who she was thinking about!!! Remember the beautiful blonde National Guard reservist who was a bow hunter and a rifle sharp shooter???? Yeah...that's the one!!!! If that happens, we probably have to keep Ray in a straight-jacket and full of valium!!!! So..now you're racin'...take a flight in a WW2 airplane and then get your picture taken with a Miss America contestant!! What's not to love here????

Like I mentioned...these last 2 items are NOT a go yet but we can all hope!!!

That's it for this evening. More later..............