348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION NO. 2

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Phil, I talked to Kenny B. last Sunday and he's planning to attend.
Maybe I can work on Doug Hughes.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
That would be neat Cecil. Haven't seen Kenny for a while and haven't seen Doug since we met at Pat McGruder's place probably in 88-89.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
EXCELLENT....................
Phil I applaud you for your tireless efforts and I for one would like to say thanks to you and to those who have already contributed.
Anyone who has ever been involved in an event like this knows there is a lot of work involved, a lot of time spent !!!!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Cant wait for this.
Might have to book a hotel room instead of the RV for this weekend
Phil,
when you say single Queen and double Queen:dunno
You mean the room has a queen bed and one person (single Queen) and a queen bed and 2 people (double queen):poke
Dont shoot me guys it just a different way of saying things:hug

Cant wait for this event
Have stopped going to car runs this year so we can spend more over there

Steve

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Let me see if I can say this in New Zealander....single queen is 1 bed and double queen is 2 beds per room. You can put as many persons in each bed as Lynette will allow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Phil,

I am going to book flights in the next few weeks, can I assume the dates are now fixed.

Looking forward to an interesting couple of weeks, looking at flying in to San Francisco the weekend prior, catch up with my eldest son and then drive to Great Bend and return the weekend after the convention.

Steve, I will probably fly Air NZ, Adel - Aukland - SFO

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Grub.....I have been promised that the dates are etched in stone!!! As far as everyone knows...we are good to go!!!

Also...my lovely bride was in Auckland yesterday but that is a whole 'NOTHER STORY!!!!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil. Thanks for all you do. Butch will have to do the interviews. One camera shot of me and attendance would be down by 99%. Go get 'em , Butch !!

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Ronnie. If Butch does the interviews people may get rocket envy. Although attendance may go UP.

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Phil,

I am going to book flights in the next few weeks, can I assume the dates are now fixed.

Looking forward to an interesting couple of weeks, looking at flying in to San Francisco the weekend prior, catch up with my eldest son and then drive to Great Bend and return the weekend after the convention.

Steve, I will probably fly Air NZ, Adel - Aukland - SFO
Hi Grub. It will be good to meet you. We are going over about the first week of sept to NY and doing a big road trip across in an RV.

Steve

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
:bow:bow:bowThank you ;Phil!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:clap:clap
X2 Thank you Phil
Anyway...spent all day Monday checking out everything I could. Trying to get the race track "arranged" for our cars but the track is so big, we're not all going to be in one place. But more about that later. Since the track is so big, I've arranged for golf cart rentals for some of our older members....Dick and Cecil come to mind immediately!!!! Got a tent rented. Going to use Expo building for our Sunday brunch and for the high end show cars. I believe it's 10,000 square feet. SRCA is furnishing tables and chairs for our brunch.

Attended the City Council meeting Monday night. Met the right people to talk to. Met the Chief of Police and the city will provide patrol cars all thru the night at the drag strip and motel parking lots.

I met with the city coordinator Tuesday morning and the city is so excited to work with us to promote this event. She even wants to tape a TV spot to put on the local Great Bend channel!! I feel uncomfortable talking in front of people or a camera so...........I'm going to see if Ronnie or Butch would fly in and do this for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will do lots of advertising both in newsprint, website and radio. They are really going all out to help us.

Now.........she mentioned 2 things that are really, really interesting but have not been finalized at this time. So...these may or may not be happening. This is where Cecil and Fatride need to be up to speed on their meds!!! First..Cecil. Great Bend has a huge air show every 2 years and it's the last weekend of September. So they are talking about this year. The municipal airport is the east boundary for the race track. 2 years ago..they had 4000 attend!! The draw???? Lots of planes including a beautifully restored B-17 and a P-51 Mustang fighter. OF WHICH BOTH..............you can purchase rides!!!!!! I was shown pictures of both aircraft and they are absolutely beautiful!! Where else can you race your 409 and get a ride in a WW2 fighter plane???

Now...the other item that is being worked on...the coordinator was talking about having a "celebrity" who could be in both events and a "crowd pleaser". As she was telling her story I just shot my mouth off and said "What about last years Miss Kansas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She said that's who she was thinking about!!! Remember the beautiful blonde National Guard reservist who was a bow hunter and a rifle sharp shooter???? Yeah...that's the one!!!! If that happens, we probably have to keep Ray in a straight-jacket and full of valium!!!! So..now you're racin'...take a flight in a WW2 airplane and then get your picture taken with a Miss America contestant!! What's not to love here????

Like I mentioned...these last 2 items are NOT a go yet but we can all hope!!!

That's it for this evening. More later..............
Phil , You're not talking about me in front of a camera are you ???:pray:blah
:crazy:dance:cheers

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm buying new a new 22 foot open trailer this month, so I'll be at the convention. 1100 miles one way from Detroit should be fun trip. Son #1 may go also. Not racing just showing.